Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Currency Transfers

Options
  • 25-09-2018 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have an account with you and wish to send an International Transfer of euros to my Bank in South Korea, where I am now resident.
    It would be preferable for me to send you my instructions by fax, owing to the difficulty of sending me a security code for online transfer.
    I have a Euro account at my Korean bank.
    Can I send you a fax instructing you to make this transfer of euros (no currency exchange required)?
    If that's OK, please let me know what details you need exactly. I have the fax number listed on your website for my branch with you.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

mishko wrote: »
    I have an account with you and wish to send an International Transfer of euros to my Bank in South Korea, where I am now resident.
    It would be preferable for me to send you my instructions by fax, owing to the difficulty of sending me a security code for online transfer.
    I have a Euro account at my Korean bank.
    Can I send you a fax instructing you to make this transfer of euros (no currency exchange required)?
    If that's OK, please let me know what details you need exactly. I have the fax number listed on your website for my branch with you.
    Thank you.

Hi mishko,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    Can I ask if you're set up for 365 online banking? Because if you are transferring these funds to an account held in Euro you should be able to add the account as a SEPA payee and make a transfer through your 365 online profile.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mishko

Hi Darren,
    Thanks for replying - I looked into online transfers, as I am set up for 365 online banking. But one problem seemed to be sending me the security code as I am in S Korea. A bigger problem is that I need to send more than the limit. I guess I could do this with multiple transfers though. So could you tell me if the security code could be sent to me via my mobile phone in Korea, and if not, could it be done by post (I'm not in a rush with this transaction); and would this code be valid for multiple transfers? Then, all being well with the code, how often could I transfer the max. allowed for online transfers?
    Many thanks,  Mishko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Hi Darren,
    Thanks for replying - I looked into online transfers, as I am set up for 365 online banking. But one problem seemed to be sending me the security code as I am in S Korea. A bigger problem is that I need to send more than the limit. I guess I could do this with multiple transfers though. So could you tell me if the security code could be sent to me via my mobile phone in Korea, and if not, could it be done by post (I'm not in a rush with this transaction); and would this code be valid for multiple transfers? Then, all being well with the code, how often could I transfer the max. allowed for online transfers?
    Many thanks,  Mishko

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Mishko, [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks for coming back to us. For the security codes to be sent by SMS your mobile number would first need to be registered and activated online. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]With each new payee you add a ‘once off’ security code is required to activate your new payee. If you choose to receive the activation code by SMS the transfer daily limit on a banking day is €10,000. If you choose the postal method for the security code the daily transfer limit is €20,000 on a banking day. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Once your new payee is activated it will be ready and available to you each time you wish to make a transfer. If you have any further questions feel free to come back to us.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Many Thanks [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]John[/font]

Hi Darren,
    Many thanks, Mishko
    Hi there,
    Just reviewing this post and if your transfer is above this daily limit you can do this by filling out our interpay form (which I've given a link to here) and either dropping it into a branch or posting it to them directly.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Many thanks Darren. All is clearer now. 
    As I am not rushed on this, it makes sense for me to choose the route with lower charges.
    If I get the security code sent to me by post, allowing daily 20,000 euro transfers online, and then
    transfer this amount 5 times, how would the total charges at your end compare with the your charges 
    were I to use an interpay form for a single transaction of 100,000 euros? Could you kindly provide the numbers?
    Thanks very much for your help!    Mishko

• Advertisement

Many thanks Darren. All is clearer now. 
    As I am not rushed on this, it makes sense for me to choose the route with lower charges.
    If I get the security code sent to me by post, allowing daily 20,000 euro transfers online, and then
    transfer this amount 5 times, how would the total charges at your end compare with the your charges 
    were I to use an interpay form for a single transaction of 100,000 euros? Could you kindly provide the numbers?
    Thanks very much for your help!    Mishko
    Hi mishko,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'd ask you to check with the other bank that their accounts are SEPA reachable before doing a transfer. As if they're not SEPA reachable the transfer would need to be done through the form I've given in my previous message to you.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Thank again, Darren. I'll check with my bank here and get back to you with my previous question if they are
    SEPA-reachable. If they aren't, then I'll use the Interpay Form.  Many thanks,  Mishko

Hi Darren, Apologies for going on about this; I just noted the following online, on 365 website:

What is a payee?
    A payee is the receiver of a payment. You must register the payee account details using 365 online, the Mobile Banking app, or the Tablet Banking app before you can make payments or transfer money. There are a number of payee types:
      [*]Bill Payee - e.g. BOI credit card, Electric Ireland, and Virgin etc;
      [*]SEPA Payee - Available to Republic of Ireland customers only;
      [*]UK Domestic Payee - Available to UK customers only;
      [*]International Payee - Available to ROI and UK customers.*

[font=Open Sans, sans-serif]Would "International Payee" not apply to my account in Korea, in which case I'm wondering if maybe an online payment is possible? I think SEPA isn't possible, though I will check with my bank, as they may have a branch in the EU.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, sans-serif]Thanks again,   Mishko[/font]

Hi Darren, Apologies for going on about this; I just noted the following online, on 365 website:

What is a payee?
      A payee is the receiver of a payment. You must register the payee account details using 365 online, the Mobile Banking app, or the Tablet Banking app before you can make payments or transfer money. There are a number of payee types:
      • Bill Payee - e.g. BOI credit card, Electric Ireland, and Virgin etc;
      • SEPA Payee - Available to Republic of Ireland customers only;
      • UK Domestic Payee - Available to UK customers only;
      • International Payee - Available to ROI and UK customers.*

[*]
      [font=Open Sans, sans-serif]Would "International Payee" not apply to my account in Korea, in which case I'm wondering if maybe an online payment is possible? I think SEPA isn't possible, though I will check with my bank, as they may have a branch in the EU.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, sans-serif]Thanks again,   Mishko[/font]
      [*]

Hi mishko,

Thanks for getting back to me.
      This would be the reason why I would have asked you to check with the Korean bank if they were SEPA reachable as this would determine if they can be added as a SEPA payee. If they are not you would need to make the payment through a branch of Bank of Ireland rather then through 365 online.
      Thanks again,
      Darren.

Hi Darren,
      My bank has now said they are not SEPA reachable.
      What about registering as "International Payee" as defined above? Could I not do this and then transfer online?
      Thanks,

Mishko

• Advertisement

Hi Darren,
      My bank has now said they are not SEPA reachable.
      What about registering as "International Payee" as defined above? Could I not do this and then transfer online?
      Thanks,

Mishko

Thanks for checking that Mishko, in this case you would need to request this transfer through a branch of Bank of Ireland as South Korea is not a country that we can transfer to through the Banking 365 online system.

Thanks again,
      Darren.

OK. Many thanks for all your help, Darren. Mishko

Hi Darren,
      Many thanks,  Mishko
      Hi there,
      Just reviewing this post and if your transfer is above this daily limit you can do this by filling out our interpay form (which I've given a link to here) and either dropping it into a branch or posting it to them directly.
      Thanks again,
      Darren.
      Hi Darren,
      I contacted you some time back about sending money from my euro Current Account with you to my Account here in South Korea (also in euros with a Korean bank).

I sent 2 Interpay forms (my and bank's copies) in the post from S Korea about 16 days ago to my Branch in Carrigaline. So far no response. I sent a Message to BoI on Monday using  365online messaging to chase this up, and the reply was not helpful. I was advised to call into my BoI Branch (I live in S Korea!) and to update my address. In my letter of 16 days ago I included my new address, as well as all the necessary details for transfer on the 2 Interpay forms. As you advised me in the message immediately above this to post Interpay to the bank directly, this is what I did. I feel I have jumped through all the hoops, but as you were so helpful last time perhaps you can steer me through this.

I also requested a new Direct Debit card as my current one expires end July. I'm going back to Europe on vacation (but not to Ireland) and would like to use the card from June to August. So......help please!                Michael Friel (living permanently in S Korea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi Darren,
      I contacted you some time back about sending money from my euro Current Account with you to my Account here in South Korea (also in euros with a Korean bank).

I sent 2 Interpay forms (my and bank's copies) in the post from S Korea about 16 days ago to my Branch in Carrigaline. So far no response. I sent a Message to BoI on Monday using  365online messaging to chase this up, and the reply was not helpful. I was advised to call into my BoI Branch (I live in S Korea!) and to update my address. In my letter of 16 days ago I included my new address, as well as all the necessary details for transfer on the 2 Interpay forms. As you advised me in the message immediately above this to post Interpay to the bank directly, this is what I did. I feel I have jumped through all the hoops, but as you were so helpful last time perhaps you can steer me through this.

I also requested a new Direct Debit card as my current one expires end July. I'm going back to Europe on vacation (but not to Ireland) and would like to use the card from June to August. So......help please!                Michael Friel (living permanently in S Korea)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us here on Boards.

We are really sorry to hear that this has been your experience. Firstly to update the postal address on your account we would recommend that you log into your account through a Pc/Laptop, Select Service Desk and Update my Postal Address. Alternatively you can call our Customer Service Team from abroad on 00353 1 4044000 and one of our advisors will be happy to help you with this. I'm afraid our branches no longer accept written instructions for the address to be updated on the account.

In relation to the forms that you have forwarded to the branch can I ask that you send us a Personal Message with your contact information and your full name as it appears on your account and we would be happy to help you as best we can? Also in your PM can you clarify how you requested the new Visa Debit Card for your account.

Thanks , Jen

Advertisement