Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balance on app keeps changing

Options
  • 25-09-2018 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm using 365 and the app as recommend by bank staff.

My first month of using it . I found over weekend that my account on Saturday had a balance of 285 left over, I didn't use the card on Sunday. On Monday when I checked app at 14:30 it still said I had 285 , checked last night and it went up to 420.
    It might be transactions not processed from Thursday to Saturday.

I got paid last night and my balance now reads my wages, plus the 285.

What is the point of using the systems your bank staff say to use if they are not reliable?

I was checking to book something last night that cost 350, and my current account said i had this, but I didn't..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Not a bank worker *

Unfortunately there is a clearing and settlement system in banking where accounts need to be updated after Transaction between accounts and you will find over the weekend days that accounts may not be accurate

Also contactless transactions don’t update for up to four working days so if you are rely on the app for balance information I personally would recommend always using card and pin as opposed to contactless . This may help

Annoying I know !

But unfortunately this isn’t going to change anytime soon and the banks will just tell you to *take responsible for managing your finances/balances*

Yes annoying I know

GL OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi,
    I'm using 365 and the app as recommend by bank staff.

My first month of using it . I found over weekend that my account on Saturday had a balance of 285 left over, I didn't use the card on Sunday. On Monday when I checked app at 14:30 it still said I had 285 , checked last night and it went up to 420.
    It might be transactions not processed from Thursday to Saturday.

I got paid last night and my balance now reads my wages, plus the 285.

What is the point of using the systems your bank staff say to use if they are not reliable?

I was checking to book something last night that cost 350, and my current account said i had this, but I didn't..

Hi there,
    Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    Can I ask if you've checked through all the transactions on your account and you recognise all the transactions currently showing on your account? As depending on how the retailer process a Visa Debit card transaction it can take up to five working days to be fully processed on your account.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Hi there,
    Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    Can I ask if you've checked through all the transactions on your account and you recognise all the transactions currently showing on your account? As depending on how the retailer process a Visa Debit card transaction it can take up to five working days to be fully processed on your account.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Hi Darren,

I suppose you didn't read above fully.
    It's not that the balance was low, it's that it went down on Sunday, then back up, then down again.
    This was also checked at ATM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Hi Darren,

I suppose you didn't read above fully.
    It's not that the balance was low, it's that it went down on Sunday, then back up, then down again.
    This was also checked at ATM

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi there,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]We just wanted to double check that you recognise all the transactions showing on your account. As advised a visa debit card transaction can take 3-5 working days to process fully on your account depending on how the retailer processes the transaction and this can affect your balance – making it increase and decrease at times. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Many Thanks[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]John[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi there,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]We just wanted to double check that you recognise all the transactions showing on your account. As advised a visa debit card transaction can take 3-5 working days to process fully on your account depending on how the retailer processes the transaction and this can affect your balance – making it increase and decrease at times. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Many Thanks[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]John[/font]

Hi John,

What is the point of it all then? I am looking at my balance and transaction now, things I bought using chip and pin on the 20th are showing with dates of 28th.

I understand it's the contact less that takes time but I was told that chip and pin and withdrawals and purchases are immediate.
    Is this not the case. My wide uses AIB bank and she never has the same problem I have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hi John,

What is the point of it all then? I am looking at my balance and transaction now, things I bought using chip and pin on the 20th are showing with dates of 28th.

I understand it's the contact less that takes time but I was told that chip and pin and withdrawals and purchases are immediate.
    Is this not the case. My wide uses AIB bank and she never has the same problem I have

This is always the case with B of I. Particularly bad after a bank holiday weekend where your balance is often not correct until Wednesday morning!!

This is always the case with B of I. Particularly bad after a bank holiday weekend where your balance is often not correct until Wednesday morning!!

It's not even that though, it's that things I know I bought over a week ago which showed up then are still showing but dates change.
    My account says I spent 1567 in last few days but transactions look like they come from over a week or more

It's not even that though, it's that things I know I bought over a week ago which showed up then are still showing but dates change.
    My account says I spent 1567 in last few days but transactions look like they come from over a week or more

Even there, just now. Another 50 is down, but only thing I took at 50 was an ATM withdrawal on the 25th. There must be something wrong as my account keeps dropping nearly double what I'm spending, like it went down 50 on the day o took the cash out but is now down again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The shadow transactions are all over the place at the weekend. Have a look at your online account today. You won't see any Saturday transactions. The shadow processing has moved them all to Sunday

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The shadow transactions are all over the place at the weekend. Have a look at your online account today. You won't see any Saturday transactions. The shadow processing has moved them all to Sunday

But even ones during the week are off. Cash withdrawals, Chip and pins.
    I'm with boi for 22 years but I'm planning to move

• Advertisement

But even ones during the week are off. Cash withdrawals, Chip and pins.
    I'm with boi for 22 years but I'm planning to move
    Point of sale visa debits can disappear on a weekend if the time gap is too great between the day they first happened, and the day that the retailer put through the file. Contactless are a balls up of a design. They come in in batch later on if done on a weekend as far as I remember.

Point of sale visa debits can disappear on a weekend if the time gap is too great between the day they first happened, and the day that the retailer put through the file. Contactless are a balls up of a design. They come in in batch later on if done on a weekend as far as I remember.

But then it goes back to my earlier point. What is the point of using such a flawed system? I mean if I can't trust that the balance both on the app or at ATM are correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi All
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback please be assured this will be passed on. If you need to have a specific transaction looked into you can raise a query by logging into 365 online Select Service desk from the left hand navigation bar ‘Ask a question’ and one of our advisors would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks Jen.

But then it goes back to my earlier point. What is the point of using such a flawed system? I mean if I can't trust that the balance both on the app or at ATM are correct
    I completely agree. The old system of shadowing is not working as well as it should anymore, now that everyone pays by card for stuff. Hopefully the new computer system  will fix these problems

I completely agree. The old system of shadowing is not working as well as it should anymore, now that everyone pays by card for stuff. Hopefully the new computer system  will fix these problems
    You would hope.
    Even again today, my account which showed transactions from 27th of September, and showed they went out on 28th, now shows 27th still but now 1st October as a date???

My balance also went down, back up, down and is now back up again. I mean by like 250 euro!!

You would hope.
    Even again today, my account which showed transactions from 27th of September, and showed they went out on 28th, now shows 27th still but now 1st October as a date???

My balance also went down, back up, down and is now back up again. I mean by like 250 euro!!

After two weeks of this having noticed the problem I am changing to AIB. Too much messing with bank of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Skyrimaddict

Thanks for coming back to us.

We're disappointed to hear you are considering changing banks and would be sorry to lose you as a customer.

We totally understand it can be frustrating when your balance increase and decreases online. Usually with card payments, the funds will debit your account straight away and they're taken from the available balance on your account.

Some retailers can take several days or up to week generally to process the payment on their side. This may cause the account balance to fluctuate if the transaction reappears then at a later date for you.

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here on this thread. We will ensure it's passed to our Online Development Team.

We do hope you will reconsider and continue banking with us.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

BOI seems to have various antiquated computer system

What I do now is transfer all the money to revolut in one transaction and make all my transactions there

Saves fees and balances are all instant

The BOI problem is fixed if they make the shadow transaction stay up on the account for longer. It used to stay up for five days until they dropped. Now it is three. Why did this change? Retailers have as long as they like to get their transactions in. They used to have a time limit. This changed also. Both of these changes have caused all the latest balance and transaction issues. The BOI need to get someone to fix this

Advertisement