Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Fixed Rate Term

Options
  • 25-09-2018 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭

This is probably asked frequently not something that can be easily answered I'm guessing as the future is unpredictable but with my mortgage application I'm about to submit my last document for full letter of approval and looking at the best rate option to go for.

I have the option of fixed for 5 years at 3% or 10 years at 3.3%.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's a personal decision but if they were my only 2 options, I would go for 5 years.

Who's this with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

Any particular reasoning behind this?

Any particular reasoning behind this?

I just think it's a nice time to fix for. I think 10 is too much. But each to their own. If you think knowing what you're paying for 10 years is important then go for it.

I fixed for 5 last year and I'm now looking to break so I can switch to a lower rate. I'll be fixing again for 5 years. It gives me the option of switching again at that stage.

Can you overpay on your fixed rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Recently fixed for 5 coming off another fixed. Happy enough doing it however back of mind looking at possibilities of a bit of competition in the market however being BOI customer no way I am sitting on variable to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If rates go down, breaking to lock in lower rates, the penalties will most likely remove incentive to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Penalties for breaking a fixed rate mortgage are much lower then they used to be. I'll be honest, im hazy on the details, but there's a fairly recent court ruling/EU directive that massively limits what they can penalise you.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mortgage-holders-locked-into-fixed-rates-now-able-to-switch-without-penalty-36396261.html

Basically a ten year fix isn't the potential noose it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

My partner and I are selling our home and buying another. The bank has offered us 7 years fixed at 2.89 . It's a 16 year mortgage I'll be getting. For peace of mind I'm taking the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    My partner and I are selling our home and buying another. The bank has offered us 7 years fixed at 2.89 . It's a 16 year mortgage I'll be getting. For peace of mind I'm taking the offer.

Thats a very decent deal imo.
    I'm just in the middle of switching to BOI for 5 years @2.8%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Thats a very decent deal imo. I'm just in the middle of switching to BOI for 5 years @2.8%

LTV and loyalty discount. I could be wrong but I only see the rates going one way and the 7 years fixed gives me some comfort but i know I'm paying for the privilege.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    If rates go down, breaking to lock in lower rates, the penalties will most likely remove incentive to do so.

Only if 'wholesale' rates have changed. I'm breaking out of a 3.05% and it's costing me nothing and I'll be fixing at 2.65%. Possibly 2.6% if value has increased.

Valuation is €130 but I'll be saving almost €50 a month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement