Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Unlimited" Broadband?

Options
  • 25-09-2018 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭

Morning guys.

I'm gonna try stay as level headed as possible typing this, 'cause I'm absolutely raging.

Firstly let me say I've always defended Eir, and could never figure out how people were having issues, when I'd never had any in the many (previous) years I'd been with them. But the shoe is now on the other foot!

I signed up last December for a 12 month contract, "Unlimited" broadband, unlimited calls, eir sport. €35 per month for the first 6 months, €40 per month there after.

My bill always pretty much stayed at those numbers, until this month. This month, my bill was €140!

I rang to investigate and apparently, in the terms & conditions, there's a "fair usage" cap of 1TB per month. Apparently I used 1.4TB in August (on what I don't know), so I was hit with a €100 fee!
    So you don't get credit for not going over, or a warning to say you're getting close to your "unlimited" cap, or a slap on the wrist to say don't do it again! Nope, €100.

The girl on the phone was able to tell me that, in the last couple of months, Eir have lifted the cap, and now it's fully unlimited! But that doesn't apply to me as I'm in contract.

I'm at a loss as to how something can be widely advertised as "unlimited" but yet have a cap.

Genuinely disgusted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gerard1970

I feel your pain Soarer.  

The good news is that you should be able to get the 1TB fair usage policy removed from your account. See this thread here... https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057895884  about 6 pages in.

The not so good news is that it takes a LONG TIME to get through to customer service, so be prepared for a wait.  You could also try the Web Chat to see if they can help you.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

gerard1970 wrote: »
    I feel your pain Soarer.  

The good news is that you should be able to get the 1TB fair usage policy removed from your account. See this thread here... https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057895884  about 6 pages in.

The not so good news is that it takes a LONG TIME to get through to customer service, so be prepared for a wait.  You could also try the Web Chat to see if they can help you.

Best of luck!
    can you post another link? I cant find the thread myself and the link you gave isn't working.
    Soarer wrote: »
    Morning guys.

I'm gonna try stay as level headed as possible typing this, 'cause I'm absolutely raging.

Firstly let me say I've always defended Eir, and could never figure out how people were having issues, when I'd never had any in the many (previous) years I'd been with them. But the shoe is now on the other foot!

I signed up last December for a 12 month contract, "Unlimited" broadband, unlimited calls, eir sport. €35 per month for the first 6 months, €40 per month there after.

My bill always pretty much stayed at those numbers, until this month. This month, my bill was €140!

I rang to investigate and apparently, in the terms & conditions, there's a "fair usage" cap of 1TB per month. Apparently I used 1.4TB in August (on what I don't know), so I was hit with a €100 fee!
    So you don't get credit for not going over, or a warning to say you're getting close to your "unlimited" cap, or a slap on the wrist to say don't do it again! Nope, €100.

The girl on the phone was able to tell me that, in the last couple of months, Eir have lifted the cap, and now it's fully unlimited! But that doesn't apply to me as I'm in contract.

I'm at a loss as to how something can be widely advertised as "unlimited" but yet have a cap.

Genuinely disgusted.
    I don't want to come across as a nut but thats the exact same problem I have. My usage is even the same. whats odd is my usage is normally around the 500/600gb a month limit. and then suddenly over double?

Anyone else having similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

Tis amazing that, with about 3 months to go on my contract, all the "savings" I've made by switching to Eir have been erased!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Tis amazing that, with about 3 months to go on my contract, all the "savings" I've made by switching to Eir have been erased!
    Not to add insult to injury but I see that anyone who signed up from the 25th of July onwards has no usage cap. So it only applies to old customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

Again, amazingly the month after they give proper unlimited to new customers.

So I’ve never had an issue with fair usage allowances in the many years I’ve had broadband, then the month after Eir change their policy, my usage is 50% over the limit?

A coincidence to say the least.

• Advertisement

sierra117x wrote: »
    I don't want to come across as a nut but thats the exact same problem I have. My usage is even the same. whats odd is my usage is normally around the 500/600gb a month limit. and then suddenly over double?

Yes, same. Charged an excess fee for August. Never had this fee before or even came close to 1000GB.

Seems very coincidental that we are all charged this fee the same month that new accounts get 'truly' unlimited. It's like they want to sting as many people as possible before everyone gets onto true unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gerard1970

sierra117x wrote: »
    gerard1970 wrote: »
    I feel your pain Soarer.  

Best of luck!
    can you post another link? I cant find the thread myself and the link you gave isn't working.
    Morning guys.

Genuinely disgusted.

Look for the thread called "@ eir reps - FUP and caps" sierra

Advertisement