Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting in your home

Options
  • 25-09-2018 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a bit of advise here. I live alone and have a spare large en-suite double room which I have decided to rent out as I need a few bob extra for bills etc
    I have a male student coming for a few weeks through an agency. It is my first time doing something like this and I'm a bit anxious. I really don't know what to expect. I have to give him breakfast, packed lunch and dinner which is fine. I'm reading about house rules etc on the schools site this is all new to me, do I have to do their laundry ,do I charge extra for Wi-Fi?.

Anyone experienced at hosting students, maybe share some tips and advise?

thank you
    Anxious

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Do not charge for the WiFi.
    From what you have posted I would believe it is a foreign student here to learn English.
    If so then be aware that you will have them at the weekend.

A lot will depend on the age of the student.
    Adults are aledgely self sufficient 😁.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 doylerkelly

notharrypotter, thanks for your reply. he is 26 yr old business analyst over for his job but I received him through this agency that Host foreign students etc.
    Someone told me that WIFI and laundry are not included in the price. But then as I said this is all new to me. Also, I heard them spend too long in the shower some taking several showers a day. I have to give him breakfast ,lunch and dinner, are they allowed to eat from your presses also?

is there any other advise or things I should know?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

I would imagine the assumption is he can use your wifi, and that laundry facilities will be available but you won't be expected to do it - so, point him in the direction of the washing machine and tumble drier and let him get on with it. But if you're anxious about the details, surely you should be able to clarify them in the contract you signed/with the lettings company directly? Its helpful to be clear on things from the start so it can only benefit everyone if your expectations are the same.

But to be honest, I don't think you can really expect to be telling a 26 year old man he can only have one shower a day if he's been to the gym, for example, and I would be surprised in that situation if the expectation was he would have to go to a laundrette/ somehow pay separately for wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

he might even ask you to rub his feet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Food
    Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner in the evening as per your cntract during the week.
    Weekend let him have free reign with the presses unless you fancy making a packed lunch for him.
    Laundry, pont him in the direction of the washing machine and tumble dryer.
    Do agree general rules in terms of what is expected at the weekend.

In general adult males will not spend as much time in the shower as a teenage girl , but this is a generalisation.

But thing is the weekend and what you are expected to provide.

• Advertisement

''OscarBluth ''

Excuse me but I am not complaining about wifi , showers or laundry, I am only asking a question as I said i'm new to all this and am just looking for advise that's all. Someone told me that you charge extra for wifi, someone else commented on them getting several showers a day and someone else told me you have to do their laundry. If all above is true that is absolutely no problem at all as i'm far from mean. I am just looking for advice here on people who have hosted before so I know what to expect , however thank you for taking the time to read my post :D

TheShow wrote: »
    he might even ask you to rub his feet!

i'll wash them aswell if he's good looking. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Your agreement/contract with the agency will dictate what you can charge id imagine. 
    Also is it short term or long term. Long term you can claim rent a room relief and receive the gross rent tax free if under €14000. Short term similar to Airbnb will not qualify for rent a room relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭argentum

I think you are getting way to anxious over the whole thing, you need to treat them as you would a normal family guest that was staying for a few weeks like a 26 yr old nephew or similar.
    WiFi is standard everywhere now and free ,it wont be costing you any extra so why would you charge it
    Washing machine ….show them how it works and offer to show them again if they're stuck. A man of 26 can do his own washing and Ironing so relax.
    Showers .If I was paying to stay somewhere I would expect to use it as often as I need but I'd imagine most people shower once a day
    Breakfast/Dinner... ask what do they like and offer to buy their favorite cereal, bread, tea, toast ,orange juice is normal in most houses anyway
    Dinner cook what you eat normally and double the size so he eats the same
    Lunch again ask what he eats .
    To be honest If I was hosting someone Id expect to bring them out every now and then to show them Irish culture and maybe to learn from them and wouldn't expect to make much from it just the experience

argentum wrote: »
    I think you are getting way to anxious over the whole thing, you need to treat them as you would a normal family guest that was staying for a few weeks like a 26 yr old nephew or similar.
    WiFi is standard everywhere now and free ,it wont be costing you any extra so why would you charge it
    Washing machine ….show them how it works and offer to show them again if they're stuck. A man of 26 can do his own washing and Ironing so relax.
    Showers .If I was paying to stay somewhere I would expect to use it as often as I need but I'd imagine most people shower once a day
    Breakfast/Dinner... ask what do they like and offer to buy their favorite cereal, bread, tea, toast ,orange juice is normal in most houses anyway
    Dinner cook what you eat normally and double the size so he eats the same
    Lunch again ask what he eats .
    To be honest If I was hosting someone Id expect to bring them out every now and then to show them Irish culture and maybe to learn from them and wouldn't expect to make much from it just the experience
    Brilliant, thank you for the sound advice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You must follow the rules of the school usually. Breakfast & a packed lunch are part of the rules. I'm sure if you check with the school you will find out that you can't charge for Wi-Fi. That'd be a bit cheeky anyway as you get well paid for hosting students.

Laundry is usually included but limited to one wash per week. Again the school will tell you the rules.

We had students when our kids were kids. Felt it was good for our kids to live with other nationally. I'd recommend it to anyone. We had young teenagers. It was great to see these shy timid kids arrive without a word of English and watch them evolve over 3 or 4 weeks. Some are still friends with my wife on Facebook & we have put some up for a night or two free of charge when they return on holiday as adults

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

You need to clarify what the expectation is. Hes not a student even though he came through agency that looks after students. He is an adult working professional so i doubt he will need packed lunch! Talk to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

hosting students is more done for the passion of it rather than to make money.
    Because it's work.

If you just want a few bob then use air bnb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

No offense but have you signed up with hosting agency? If so why not ask your contact what is expected of you instead of a bunch of randomers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

Just ask the agency you signed up with what exactly is expected. You have a 26yr old coming to stay not the usual teenage language student so needs and requirements will vary. Entertaining them at weekends would apply to teenage language students but I hardly think a 26 yr old expects that. If the fee you are charging is lucrative it may be worth it but you might be better off doing Airbnb if you prefer occasional guests (or if long term then getting in a lodger who takes care of their own meals etc).

Advertisement