Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice - Chartered Accountant to self employed

• 25-09-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49

Hi lads

I'm after some advice.
    I've been working in Industry (Banking & Financial Services) for the last 9 years, during which time I sat ACA. Work has been relentless for the last 2 years especially and I can't see it slowing down any time: going from one project to the next crisis.. if anything I can see the workloads increasing.

I have a young family (eldest just started school) and want some more flexibility so I can spend more quality time with the kiddos. And possibly go for a run once in a while!

In saying that, I'm considering moving from PAYE to self-employed: booking keeping, VAT returns and possible grinds in accountancy and maths (my degree). Ideally I'd like to work 9am -3pm then a few hours in the evening. Am I mental? I'm based in South Dublin and there seems to be plenty of work at the minute from speaking to friends.

Does anyone have any advice on courses I could do over the next 6-12 months to get up to speed? Also looking for an indication of start-up costs and earning potential.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I did this, however my background and training was all in small practice.

First issue is will you qualify for a practice very.

Second issue is where will you get your clients from?

Usually people would start their business working weekends and evenings building up their client base and income before they are in a financial position to give up the full time work.

Advertisement