Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Glanmire Road

Options
  • 25-09-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the Lower Glanmire Road would be like to live on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,435 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Which section? Potentially lots of traffic, train and/or ship noise. What is the sound insulation like?

Buses 221, 245, 261, possibly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Victor wrote: »
    Which section? Potentially lots of traffic, train and/or ship noise. What is the sound insulation like?

Buses 221, 245, 261, possibly more.

I'm not sure what section it would be but the house is number 11. It's an old terrace house currently up for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'm guessing it's this one.
    https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/cork-city/11-lower-glanmire-road-cork-city-cork-1706120/
    Lots of traffic. Main route in and out of the city coming from the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

looks like a builders providers yard right at the back as well,more noise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

Might have rental potential but terrible place to live. Too much noise and no "neighbourhood" as such. Expect periodic flooding as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

That part of Lower Glanmire Road, past but near the train station is the pits - the absolute dregs of Cork's rental market, complete with the occasional murder. If you fancy stuffing a bunch of desperate immigrants into a squalid hovel, this is the place for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

Is it that bad? I drive past there last week and was thinking in 5-10 years it could be a very desirable area. Price would make it attractive and don't think it would loose value.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We're interested in buying an older house like this in the city and renovating but I'm not from Cork so don't know all of the different areas.

Trying to get an idea what the area is like before we decide to travel down and view anywhere

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

We're interested in buying an older house like this in the city and renovating but I'm not from Cork so don't know all of the different areas.

Trying to get an idea what the area is like before we decide to travel down and view anywhere

I wouldn't live there personally, it looks grim just going past by car or by train. Every building around there looks run down, its like a miniature Youghal. Then you have the noise, trains start about 6 am I think, and its the main way into the city from the likes of Midleton, Carrigtwohill etc, and the one lane of traffic exiting in the evenings, is heavy from about 4 o clock onwards.

Edit: There's a builders supply yard directly behind as well if thats the house I think it is, so I imagine be a bit of a racket there too - they probably open 8am on a Saturday ?

Edit 2: Someone has alluded to ^ that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Very grim area, you couldnt pay me to live there. Theres a big row of terraces (slums?) right across the road from that house on Daft, the Guards might aswell open up a station there they are there so often.

OP all the best in your search for a house in Cork, but Id advise to run a million miles away from this one.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, should have known this one would be too good to be true.

The search continues!

Thanks all, should have known this one would be too good to be true.

The search continues!

That house is a 15/20 minute walk to Patrick Street and its for sale for 150k, thats a major red flag right there. As the saying goes if its too good to be true.................

All the best with your search though, keep plugging away and it'll come good eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I've seen so many smashed windows there over the years, not to mention the two bodies found there. Oh and that time I saw a drug dealer run after a guy with a full on sledge hammer and the guards white as ghosts trying to stop him.

Fascinating place to pass through but wouldn't let my enemies live there, let alone buy a place there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine lived a bit further along the Lower Rd from there in the nice terrace of houses up to the left & she told me that she always cycled a bit faster passing through that area. Also like everyone else has mentioned, the traffic is terrible.

Costs a bit more to live ~5 mins down the road of course, see this one for sale.

opus wrote: »
    A friend of mine lived a bit further along the Lower Rd from there in the nice terrace of houses up to the left & she told me that she always cycled a bit faster passing through that area. Also like everyone else has mentioned, the traffic is terrible.

Costs a bit more to live ~5 mins down the road of course, see this one for sale.

I'm in love with that house on Myrtle Hill but it's just a bit out of our price range. Hence the interest in trying to find a fixer upper.

Can anyone suggest other areas's in the city that would have these types of houses?

Other places I was looking are Saint Luke's or Gardiner's Hill.

I've seen so many smashed windows there over the years, not to mention the two bodies found there. Oh and that time I saw a drug dealer run after a guy with a full on sledge hammer and the guards white as ghosts trying to stop him.

Fascinating place to pass through but wouldn't let my enemies live there, let alone buy a place there myself.

Jesus I wouldn't fancy having that happening outside my front door!

Can anyone suggest other areas's in the city that would have these types of houses?

Whats your budget?

CHealy wrote: »
    Whats your budget?

Around 350k, dependent on the level of works needed etc.

Around 350k, dependent on the level of works needed etc.

Thats a good budget especially if you get something that might need a bit of work. St.Lukes, Summerhill North & South, Wellington Rd, Sundays Well, Out along Victoria Road direction, Evergreen Road and surrounding areas, they would all be old inner city areas with a bit of charm. Google map those places to get a feel for it.

CHealy wrote: »
    Thats a good budget especially if you get something that might need a bit of work. St.Lukes, Summerhill North & South, Wellington Rd, Sundays Well, Out along Victoria Road direction, Evergreen Road and surrounding areas, they would all be old inner city areas with a bit of charm. Google map those places to get a feel for it.

Thanks a million for all the help. Coming to Cork in a few weeks time so I'll have to take a walk around those areas and get a feel for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It could depend a LOT on how long you're thinking. With Horgan's Quay (and potentially, Tivoli) docks being redeveloped, it could be a great long-term investment. At that price, I couldn't see it ever going down much more - I guess it depends on the building and if it requires investment to get up to liveable/rentable standards.

If looking for similar, (affordable) areas with nice mature Georgian houses would be around Wellington Road, St. Lukes, Gardiner's Hill. Not too far from the above. Other mature areas (Blackrock, Sunday's Well especially) are very, very nice but probably extremely expensive.

who_me wrote: »
    It could depend a LOT on how long you're thinking. With Horgan's Quay (and potentially, Tivoli) docks being redeveloped, it could be a great long-term investment. At that price, I couldn't see it ever going down much more - I guess it depends on the building and if it requires investment to get up to liveable/rentable standards.

If looking for similar, (affordable) areas with nice mature Georgian houses would be around Wellington Road, St. Lukes, Gardiner's Hill. Not too far from the above. Other mature areas (Blackrock, Sunday's Well especially) are very, very nice but probably extremely expensive.

Yea I had heard about the proposed redevelopments so between that and the price the House on Lwr Glanmire Rd caught my eye.

I didn't know just how bad the area is though and thought the price point was due to the amount of work involved.

It's a question of how long it would take for the area to regenerate though. This will be our own home so there's more than just investment potential to take into consideration I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

No internal pics can't be a good sign.
    Little bit of architectural background here:
    http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=CC&regno=20507165

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yea I had heard about the proposed redevelopments so between that and the price the House on Lwr Glanmire Rd caught my eye.

I didn't know just how bad the area is though and thought the price point was due to the amount of work involved.

It's a question of how long it would take for the area to regenerate though. This will be our own home so there's more than just investment potential to take into consideration I suppose.

Well, these days it's probably cheaper to mortgage than rent (if you have the deposit) so that's one argument in favour of it! :)

It's hard to put a timeline on when the new developments will be done (and what effect they'll have) - but Penrose Dock was approved earlier this month, and Horgan's Quay was due to start last month. Navigation Square is flying up too, so that's a lot of new offices on that side of the city centre with not much by way of new residential developments to support it.

My biggest concerns would be checking if its structurally sound, doesn't require too much renovation; and check if there's a history of flooding on those buildings specifically (it's funny how just a minor height difference between one side of a street and the other can be the difference between bone dry and a home being destroyed).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

looks like a builders providers yard right at the back as well,more noise

Edit: you're right. I thought it was the last house of the right hand side before the railway bridge. I have those houses placed now. Yeah that terrace across from it just befor the railway bridge is something alright. OP st Luke's and that area are nice areas and nice views and close to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I thought this thread was about the current roadworks down there and the disaster it is causing for traffic coming out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 xsaxo00x

I live down towards Tivoli direction down by the petrol stations, that part of the Glanmire road is lovely, the trains are quite noisy but you get used to them.
    However with all the roadworks going on (they tore up the road last night outside the houses and kept us all awake) and the impending Silversprings\ Dunkettle junction works which apparently will take a number of months, be prepared for further noise and traffic from the city when they start closing lanes etc.
    Also, I would strongly advise checking with the estate agent if any the houses down your direction have had flooding damage in the last number of years, that could also be another reason why it is only 150K
    Let us know how you get on

Advertisement