Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I paint directly onto a wall that is raw plaster board?

Options
  • 25-09-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I am removing the wallpaper from my new house and fund underneath that the plaster board hasn't been skimmed fully - only the joins.

So...
    Question 1 is be can you paint directly onto plaster board?
    Question 2 is, if you can paint directly onto plaster board...will the skimmed join look a different colour than directly onto the plasterboard? Hence, it wouldn't work or would need extra coats?

The whole house is exposed plaster board, so it is going to be €€€€ to skim the whole house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

It depends on what condition the boards are in, where 2 boards are together are they flush and smooth?
    If not it will show when its painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

Yeah, the joins have been skimmed smooth.
    Some corners and other areas may need touching up but in general the plasterboard and the joins are very smooth.
    My worry was how absorbent the plasterboard would be versus the plaster joins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Wouldn't advise it OP, i'd imagine it would look so terrible that you'd end up skimming it and repainting!

Skimming is not too expensive, the plaster itself is dirt cheap and a decent plasterer can cover a lot of wall in a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

we had an extension built a few years ago and only had the seams skimmed, sanded everything down. Think the painters just put on a coat of primer and painted over and you can't tell anywhere at all.

But like already said I'd imagine this may well depend on the condition of the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

andybookie wrote: »
    My worry was how absorbent the plasterboard would be versus the plaster joins.

I think perhaps you might need to worry more about what the plasterboard already has absorbed in the way of wallpaper adhesive?

If it was me I think I'd just try in whatever the smallest room is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

wexie wrote: »
    I think perhaps you might need to worry more about what the plasterboard already has absorbed in the way of wallpaper adhesive?

If it was me I think I'd just try in whatever the smallest room is?

I'd imagine that the absorbed adhesive would help if anything. I've read threads on other forums that suggest priming with watered down PVA.
    But I am no expert.

Advertisement