Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Potential Customer's logo for Demo

Options
  • 25-09-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am working for a software company that provides IT services for companies, one of the sales strategies I was considering is offering a free demo of the software to potential new customers - easy enough done

However the product dashboard that can be branded with the customer's logo, colours and header image.

I was thinking of creating these demos with the customers own logo and branding before giving it to them as it might give the product more of a hook and personality.. i don't know if there would be issues around copyright - none of the businesses would be trademarked, all SME? i would be taking a copy of their logo from their website or social channel?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

I would think as long as you are showing a demo of the software to customer "x" and showing them their own logo they wouldn't have a problem with it.

However, if you were demonstrating the software to customer "x" and showing them logos from a range of other companies who are not customers of yours that could cause problems.

If it was me I would be impressed that you showed the initiative to get my logo and show the software as it would look in my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Homer wrote: »
    get my logo and show the software as it would look in my business.

thanks, yeah thats all I would be doing to show them how it would look if they used it, ill give it a bash with one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Best of luck with it! You can use my logo if you're stuck.. bit of free PR and all that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Homer wrote: »
    If it was me I would be impressed that you showed the initiative to get my logo and show the software as it would look in my business.

I agree that that should be the case, but you could get some so and so who will be a smart arse and object.

You could always ask permission, of course that will ruin the "surprise"

I develop web sites whaich have a back end admin, I just put my own logo there and explain that we can put your's there when you sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Buttercake wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I was thinking of creating these demos with the customers own logo and branding before giving it to them as it might give the product more of a hook and personality.. i don't know if there would be issues around copyright -

TIA

That is the correct approach and as another has said you have no issues if you confine use of the logo to that presentation only. Make sure you get the logo right, exact pantone, etc, as people are very fussy about that and you do not want to distract from your presentation/message.

Many years ago I was doing this when we were getting our customers (SMEs to MN's) to migrate from fax/paper to on-line contact with us. Prior to the demo I’d have the client data migrated to the system; then, before giving the demo and illustrating what it could do I’d preface the presentation with “I’ve taken the liberty just for this presentation of branding the system with your logo so that you can see exactly what will be seen on your company screens”. Invariably there was no negativity on use of the logo – but getting some people in 1994 to use computers, keyboards and operate in a paperless environment was a challenge! Also, back then it was dial-up or $10k a year for a GEISCO line!

• Advertisement
Advertisement