Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords selling the flat - need advice

• 25-09-2018 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there guys,

Common story: I was renting a place for a year but my landlords are selling the place now. My lease has already ended (in August). They are a nice people and initially said that they want to give me additional 2-3 months short term lease so that I have some time to find something as they were unsure until the last day (ehe!). So, currently we have not signed any new lease, they talked to the broker and they want to start visitations from the people wanting to buy.

Now here's the deal- I believe they want to sell the flat without a tenant (better price etc), so they told me I won't be able to be at home during the viewings and need to remove all my things from visible places and put them in the cupboards etc - and thus they are offering me a slightly lower rent. They also said I might be able to stay for additional 1-2 months after they secure the buyer...

My specific questions are

1. I wonder, if this is the case can they still sell it with a tenant inside but without notifying the buyer that I am still living in here?

2. Can after the buyer purchases the flat it is possible he or she will be able to rent it again to me?

3. Should I push them on signing this short term lease, because I am not sure what are my laws at this point? (It was a normal Part 4 tenancy) Can they evict me? I haven't received a notification yet either but even if I will, can they do that on the base of selling the place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They will likely need vacant possession. They won't agree to a new lease (if they have any sense), you're on a part IV and they can terminate if they are selling the property; following proper procedures etc. of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sounds to me like they're being very reasonable with you. I'd start looking for a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adonai

Yes, they are. The only thing I wonder is how they can ''officially terminate the lease'' if my lease already ended in August and now I am simply transferring them money to their bank account? I am of course looking (since June- no luck, the situation is tragic in this city)

adonai wrote: »
    Yes, they are. The only thing I wonder is how they can ''officially terminate the lease'' if my lease already ended in August and now I am simply transferring them money to their bank account? I am of course looking (since June- no luck, the situation is tragic in this city)

They issue you a termination notice with a statutory declaration that they are selling. You will be given a notice period depeanding on how long you've been there.

Makes sense. OK thank you :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck it's a fecking nightmare out there at the moment.

For sure it is

Advertisement