Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy Water filling Cold Water Attic Tank

• 25-09-2018 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I know there are threads on this already and I've read them and lots of youtube videos but no success

Cold water tank in attic is fed from mains water and Part 1 fill valve in place. There is an horrendous noise of the water hitting the side of the tank or the surface of the water as it fills. Sometimes there is a noise like a boat fog horn.
    • changed the fill valve twice
    • put lid on the tank
    • secured the pipes as much as possible and not obvious rattle
    • secured the lagging on the tank

What do I do as every time we shower etc its driving us mental. Could it be pressure too high? Can I reduce pressure going into tank? Someone mentioned a Part 2 valve but unsure about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerickrunner

nobody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Can you extend the fill pipe opening with a bit of hose an jubilee clip so it's underwater while filling at least that would get rid of the noise it makes hitting the tank side or water surface.

Also you could put a shutoff valve in the supply line to the tank and vary the amount it is open and see it that improves things.

Payton wrote: »

are these ok with regard to Building regulations? Thinking of what insurance company might say in the event of flooding if it contravenes code.
    Do you know if it is possible to make the shank longer to protrude further into the tank and avoid water hitting side of the tank on entry - my tank has a ledge under the inlet on inside and water pounds off that ledge on current part1

are these ok with regard to Building regulations? Thinking of what insurance company might say in the event of flooding if it contravenes code.
    Do you know if it is possible to make the shank longer to protrude further into the tank and avoid water hitting side of the tank on entry - my tank has a ledge under the inlet on inside and water pounds off that ledge on current part1

still the same, I turned the stopcock in hot press as low as it would still fill the tank and still spluttering and pounding into the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

still the same, I turned the stopcock in hot press as low as it would still fill the tank and still spluttering and pounding into the surface.

What is a "Part 1 fill valve"?
    Is it the type of fill valve as linked by Payton above? or do you have a traditional "ball cock" type. If the former is fitted then as soon as there is any demand for water these type of fill valves seem to fill "full blast" whereas the ball cock will start to trickle the water in as soon as the level starts falling and will not open fully until the demand is greater than the flow rate of the ball cock when it's down fully.

John.G wrote: »
    What is a "Part 1 fill valve"?
    Is it the type of fill valve as linked by Payton above? or do you have a traditional "ball cock" type. If the former is fitted then as soon as there is any demand for water these type of fill valves seem to fill "full blast" whereas the ball cock will start to trickle the water in as soon as the level starts falling and will not open fully until the demand is greater than the flow rate of the ball cock when it's down fully.

attached is Part 1 fill valve

anyway I resolved it for the mere price of €1. This type of fill valve comes with a high pressure seating which forces incoming water through a very narrow bore. I changed the seating to a low pressure seating large bore and issue resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

attached is Part 1 fill valve

anyway I resolved it for the mere price of €1. This type of fill valve comes with a high pressure seating which forces incoming water through a very narrow bore. I changed the seating to a low pressure seating large bore and issue resolved.

That,s interesting, my toilet cistern ballcock is supplied with low pressure from a header tank and is fitted with a filling "nozzle" of 5 MM diameter, the attic header tank is fed from the mains, in my case, at a relatively high pressure of 2.5 bar, and is fitted with a 3 MM nozzle I think but I will check it today.
    The white one in photo is the 3MM, the black one is 5MM.

You must now be getting a huge flow through the larger orifice nozzle.

John.G wrote: »
    That,s interesting, my toilet cistern ballcock is supplied with low pressure from a header tank and is fitted with a filling "nozzle" of 5 MM diameter, the attic header tank is fed from the mains, in my case, at a relatively high pressure of 2.5 bar, and is fitted with a 3 MM nozzle I think but I will check it today.
    The white one in photo is the 3MM, the black one is 5MM.

You must now be getting a huge flow through the larger orifice nozzle.

I am getting 2.2bar entering the attic tank. The flow is MUCH smoother using the LP red seat. Can't really hear it at all now standing under the tank and certainly no pounding or spluttering. I was thinking perhaps there was a stricture in the old HP seat but looking clear.
    This has been going on for the past year or more and was quoted €300 to resolve it (expansion tank) but €1 is a pretty fair price

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I am getting 2.2bar entering the attic tank. The flow is MUCH smoother using the LP red seat. Can't really hear it at all now standing under the tank and certainly no pounding or spluttering. I was thinking perhaps there was a stricture in the old HP seat but looking clear.
    This has been going on for the past year or more and was quoted €300 to resolve it (expansion tank) but €1 is a pretty fair price
    Perhaps a good time to check that there is an adequate overflow fitted to the tank. ...Just in case.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    Perhaps a good time to check that there is an adequate overflow fitted to the tank. ...Just in case.

there is. lucky I checked too as there was some insulation material stuck in it which I removed but dread to think what would have happened if it blocked the overflow

Advertisement