Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only went and broke the screen on my iPhone X today....

Options
  • 25-09-2018 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

and the cost I hear you ask ???... hmmm...

That'll be €349 to replace the screen thank you very much says the compuB sales person with a smile. :mad:

WTF !!!!!! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »

That'll be €349 to replace the screen thank you very much says the compuB sales person with a smile. :mad:

You sound surprised for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I feel your pain as I broke my iPhone 8 case last week, but it's a hardly a shock for an Apple repair and also the screen is the largest part of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well overpriced products do tend to have overpriced repair bills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Does insurance not cover some if not all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Slightly cheaper to get done direct from Apple

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/iphone/repair/service/pricing

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Does insurance not cover some if not all?

Most people don't have insurance.

I don't either as I find it overpriced for what it is. Just save the money each month if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well overpriced products do tend to have overpriced repair bills

The panel is supplied by Samsung Display, and
    IHS Markit estimates the cost of the display module, which includes the cover glass, AMOLED panel and Force Touch sensor, at € 94
    LONDON (November 8, 2017) – Teardown engineers at IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) have completed their preliminary physical dissection of the new Apple iPhone X and found that the model A1865 version of the smartphone with 64 gigabytes (GB) of NAND memory carries a bill of materials (BOM) of : € 315

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

gctest50 wrote: »

Yes, because design, R&D, testing, marketing, packaging, retail etc. cost nothing right??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Im not surprised at the cost. Its a decent % of the overall cost of the phone.

I was a chinese place in Bray on Saturday and they could replace an iPhone 8 plus for €89 with a generic screen or €129 for an "original Apple" screen.

I'm scepitical these are "original Apple" screens.

Anybody ever get one.

I'm tempted as Apple charge €189 but I'd be without a phone for over a week which is a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

murpho999 wrote: »
    I was a chinese place in Bray on Saturday and they could replace an iPhone 8 plus for €89 with a generic screen or €129 for an "original Apple" screen.

Anybody ever get one.

I'm tempted as Apple charge €189 but I'd be without a phone for over a week which is a killer.
    rightly so the only place to get an original screen is from apple

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Mr.S wrote: »
    AppleCare is really a good option to consider with these new phones, as it lasts 2 years it becomes on par with device insurance.

The only downside is it doesn’t cover theft.

there is a new apple care with theft cover - not sure if it's US only for now though

shanec1928 wrote: »
    rightly so the only place to get an original screen is from apple

Yes, but I wonder if they strip them out of older phones.

So it's Apple Genuine but could be from an Iphone 6?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

ablelocks wrote: »
    there is a new apple care with theft cover - not sure if it's US only for now though

US only for the time being, it'll probably stretch to the UK, but it'll never make it to Ireland. We never get the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Anybody ever get one.

I’d always get the repair done by Apple if the repair is carried out by a 3rd party does that void the warranty on the phone?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I’d always get the repair done by Apple if the repair is carried out by a 3rd party does that void the warranty on the phone?

Yep, warranty is 100% voided if anyone else apart from apple ever opens it!

Warranty is gone anyway.

Warranty is gone anyway.

On an 8plus only over 12 months old how is the warranty gone ?

Checked the IMEI on Apple website and it says it's a one year warranty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

12 month warranty on all Phones, same as any other phone manufacturer.
    This does not effect your EU Consumer Law Protection though.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    12 month warranty on all Phones, same as any other phone manufacturer.
    This does not effect your EU Consumer Law Protection though.

That 12 month warranty is the biggest load of nonsense. Sale of goods act is your friend.

That 12 month warranty is the biggest load of nonsense. Sale of goods act is your friend.

Not really, then you'd have to prove that the product was actually unfit for sale or use from the beginning.

Normal wear and tear will not be covered by it and Apple know this full well.

I had an iPhone 6 and after 18 months the camera stopped focussing on objects up close.
    Contacted Apple and they would do nothing, tried the Sales of goods act angle and the american at Apple knew all about the Irish law and was haviing none of it and was able to quote the requirements back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just because you accepted what they said doesn't mean it is 100% correct.
    Yes there can be wear and tear but that doesn't mean fundamental functions of the phone can be expected to stop working after a relatively short time period.
    If I was in your position I think I'd of tried small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Be glad you didn’t smash the back. That’s even more expensive than the front…

Not really, then you'd have to prove that the product was actually unfit for sale or use from the beginning.

Normal wear and tear will not be covered by it and Apple know this full well.

I had an iPhone 6 and after 18 months the camera stopped focussing on objects up close.
    Contacted Apple and they would do nothing, tried the Sales of goods act angle and the american at Apple knew all about the Irish law and was haviing none of it and was able to quote the requirements back to me.

I’ve had a completely different experience with its use. Black line showing on the camera app on a 18 month old iPad Air 2 excerised my consumer right and they replaced the iPad no issue. If they they didn’t it would have been a letter followed by small claims court. Which I outlined with Apple from the get go. Know your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Yes, because design, R&D, testing, marketing, packaging, retail etc. cost nothing right??

I'm actually surprised that there is 315 quid worth of bits in any phone.
    It has little to do with retail price, as you say design testing, marketing distribution etc all have to be priced into each unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

mickdw wrote: »
    It has little to do with retail price, as you say design testing, marketing distribution etc all have to be priced into each unit.

Don’t forget the huge profit too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stoolbend wrote: »

Absolutely but 315 quid is a strong portion of retail price to be spending on components. I'd go so far as to say apple are spending nothing like that on components.

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Absolutely but 315 quid is a strong portion of retail price to be spending on components. I'd go so far as to say apple are spending nothing like that on components.

No point in complaining lads, that's how business works, they have to make profits.

Apple are not alone on this. Repairs and original spare parts are always expensive. Look at the car industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Also the 315€ isn’t just for the screen. You got to include labour in that and if you do it at an Apple store they’ll do diagnostic tests as well. The alleyway mobile phone repair shop won’t. They’ll just make sure it turns on.

Not saying the price isn’t a lot it’s just more justifiable when you break down all the costs and remove yourself from the price to component comparison.

The car industry is a great analogy, sure you could get non genuine Audi/BMW/Benz parts and labour but if you plan to move the car on it’ll hurt the resale compared to the same car with a dealer service history.

Advertisement