Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only went and broke the screen on my iPhone X today....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

murpho999 wrote: »
    No point in complaining lads, that's how business works, they have to make profits.
    I think everyone would agree on that. I would take issue with those that kiss any manufactures ass while being squeezed out of as much cash as possible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No point in complaining lads, that's how business works, they have to make profits.

If you read my post, you would see I was arguing the opposite point but thanks for the lecture anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think everyone would agree on that. I would take issue with those that kiss any manufactures ass while being squeezed out of as much cash as possible though.

But they all do it and the only option then is to get spurious parts that may be inferior.

How do you kiss any manufactures ass by the way?

mickdw wrote: »
    If you read my post, you would see I was arguing the opposite point but thanks for the lecture anyway.

Apologies just copped it now, read your post out of context!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I was a chinese place in Bray on Saturday and they could replace an iPhone 8 plus for €89 with a generic screen or €129 for an "original Apple" screen.

I'm scepitical these are "original Apple" screens.

Anybody ever get one.

I'm tempted as Apple charge €189 but I'd be without a phone for over a week which is a killer.

Might be a genuine screen if they have one

It's probably where all those stolen iphones go - just break them up for parts when they get blacklisted

€ 129 for a screen
    € ??? for battery
    € ??? for back cover
    € ??? for camera

• Advertisement

How do you kiss any manufactures ass by the way?
    Read through this forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Read through this forum.

Samsung similar pricing at €270

https://www.celticrepairs.ie/product/samsung-galaxy-s9-screen-repair/

Sterling prices of £239

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-much-will-it-cost-to-repair-my-phone-screen/

Don’t know why the Apple hate when all
    Manufacturers are the same. I had to get my galaxy repaired through wrk and it was the same
    As apple pricing at the time.

kceire wrote: »
    Manufacturers are the same.
    Which is why I said manufacturers. And why I never said "Apple hate".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Samsung similar pricing at €270

https://www.celticrepairs.ie/product/samsung-galaxy-s9-screen-repair/

Sterling prices of £239

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-much-will-it-cost-to-repair-my-phone-screen/

Manufacturers are the same. I had to get my galaxy repaired through wrk and it was the same
    As apple pricing at the time.

There is 80 euro in the difference.

One how is that Similar pricing ?

Let me guess marketing , design etc all need to be counted for in the replacement of a screen.

listermint wrote: »
    There is 80 euro in the difference.

One how is that Similar pricing ?

Let me guess marketing , design etc all need to be counted for in the replacement of a screen.

Same reason there’s a small % difference between the price of a 535d air filter and a Fors focus 1.8 filter. Branding I assume.

You could also take both to an independent phone shop/garage and pay many times the cheaper. Personal choice.

• Advertisement

Which is why I said manufacturers. And why I never said "Apple hate".

You could have also told the poster to read the android forum and your point would have been equally as informative.

You could have also told the poster to read the android forum and your point would have been equally as informative.
    “manufacturers”
    Can’t make it more simple than that.

“manufacturers”
    Can’t make it more simple than that.

“Read this forum”
    Maybe the tone of the post made it appear troll like.

If it wasn’t then I picked up on it wrong.

“Read this forum”
    Maybe the tone of the post made it appear troll like.

If it wasn’t then I picked up on it wrong.
    Yes, you did.
    Apple devices is just a sub-forum. There's no need to be so defensive and be like one of the examples.

Yes, you did.
    Apple devices is just a sub-forum. There's no need to be so defensive and be like one of the examples.

I defend all generalisations in fairness. I do the same when people skate people that own a certain brand of car or live in a certain area.

Thanks for clearing that up with regards to people defending major manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

After eventually accepting I have to fork out the money to get it fixed I went to get it done today...
    You wanna hear the amount of support excuses !!!
    .... €390 "We have to send it off ... it'll take 2 weeks"
    " We dont offer replacement phone"
    From CompuB to iConnect... Even vodafone on Grafton St.... all didnt really wanna know

Eventually rang Apple they recommended to get it fixed with the collect & repair service €290 ... paid and courier will be out in 2 days
    Only Best solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    After eventually accepting I have to fork out the money to get it fixed I went to get it done today...
    You wanna hear the amount of support excuses !!!
    .... €390 "We have to send it off ... it'll take 2 weeks"
    " We dont offer replacement phone"
    From CompuB to iConnect... Even vodafone on Grafton St.... all didnt really wanna know

Eventually rang Apple they recommended to get it fixed with the collect & repair service €290 ... paid and courier will be out in 2 days
    Only Best solution

If only Apple had Apple stores in Ireland. You’d be in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Received phone this morning.... Collected Monday and returned today Thursday... fantastic service and better than anyone offered in Dublin (Cheaper too!!!!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If you can be without the phone for a few days, the apple service really is second to none. Can’t be beaten.

And you 99 times out of 100 just get a brand new phone returned to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Not really, then you'd have to prove that the product was actually unfit for sale or use from the beginning.

Normal wear and tear will not be covered by it and Apple know this full well.

I had an iPhone 6 and after 18 months the camera stopped focussing on objects up close.
    Contacted Apple and they would do nothing, tried the Sales of goods act angle and the american at Apple knew all about the Irish law and was haviing none of it and was able to quote the requirements back to me.

As a suggestion to yourself and other alike.

In future whenever you want to claw under consumer law - you need to be firm and confident that the issue was presenting itself in the first 6 months.
    So in your example - you should have said the camera has been weird since day one, but it didn't effect you in any way. Now it's gotten worse and you want to claim under consumer law.

I've used consumer law a few times and haven't had an issue. Even got a logic board replaced on a 5 year old Mac since it was "acting up" since day one.

see with the Irish consumer law you need to be specific that it was dodgy since day one. Saying an issue appeared after 18 months does not qualify and hence the pushback.It's all a game really.

What I tend to do is ring the company after purchase and mention an issue with the original boxing being damaged or a small issue with the device. I don't return it, just make sure the notes are logged. Once I do that I am fairly confident that if anything goes wrong in those 5 or 6 years - they tend to play ball.

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »
    As a suggestion to yourself and other alike.

In future whenever you want to claw under consumer law - you need to be firm and confident that the issue was presenting itself in the first 6 months.
    So in your example - you should have said the camera has been weird since day one, but it didn't effect you in any way. Now it's gotten worse and you want to claim under consumer law.

I've used consumer law a few times and haven't had an issue. Even got a logic board replaced on a 5 year old Mac since it was "acting up" since day one.

see with the Irish consumer law you need to be specific that it was dodgy since day one. Saying an issue appeared after 18 months does not qualify and hence the pushback.It's all a game really.

What I tend to do is ring the company after purchase and mention an issue with the original boxing being damaged or a small issue with the device. I don't return it, just make sure the notes are logged. Once I do that I am fairly confident that if anything goes wrong in those 5 or 6 years - they tend to play ball.

So basically you want me to lie about a fault.

Also, I just don't fancy a life of being so miserable to receive a new product in perfect condition and ring up to pretend the box was damaged.

I'd rather be honest than go around lying about stuff and plotting just to get free stuff.

You're just taking liberties with the law in my opinion and your replacement products end up being paid for by other Apple users,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

So basically you want me to lie about a fault.

Also, I just don't fancy a life of being so miserable to receive a new product in perfect condition and ring up to pretend the box was damaged.

I'd rather be honest than go around lying about stuff and plotting just to get free stuff.

You're just taking liberties with the law in my opinion and your replacement products end up being paid for by other Apple users,

Dam bro - I ain't miserable. Thanks for the blanket assumption though
    I certainly might be if I had to pay out the €700 for the logic board replacement at the time.
    A quick call I made 5 years ago kinda payed off.

And with some context here. I really hope I don't have to ever use the consumer law protection. so this idea it's a plot to get free stuff is bizarre.

To your last point. Let me suggest something.
    What if you had the iPhone covered by Apple at the time. What if the guy in the US said "Yeah cool man, we will replace that under the sales of good act" and you didn't pay.

You literally just accidentally took liberty with the law yourself. As you recognize, the consumer law does not protect what your scenario was so if Apple covered it at the time as you requested - then you are someone who unknowingly got the law to cover something that actually wasn't covered.

Anyway my post was to inform those that if they want to be proactive to protect €1000 phones that break 13 months the advice is there. Up to each individual if they personally want to aid in not being left high and dry by the company. In the same way I pay Netflix in Turkey rather than the Irish price which is twice as much. I'm sure somewhere I am breaking a company policy within Netflix and Irish customers are now paying even more because pdf what I do....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

To paraphrase to the Sale of Goods Act, items must be durable and fit for purpose. Showing an item costing €1000+ and lasting 13 months, which has been well looked after, would probably be looked upon favourably by a judge in a Small claims court. Having a list of similar cases as evidence would help court to make a decision also.
    You have up to 6 years to bring a claim under the Act.

The 6 months is for an item that breaks down in its first 6 months is deemed to have the fault present since manufacture.

Advertisement