Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with trying to get deposit back after housemate issue.

Options
  • 25-09-2018 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭

Hi all I have a serious issue with trying to get my deposit back after a quite frankly mental house share.

I moved into a place 4 weeks ago. Was told that the other two occupants were a Guard(whos injured and depressed) and a "mature student", turns out the mature student was a druggie who overdosed the second night of my stay there.

I gave it a few days to, naturally, see if he'd be kicked out, only to be told he'd be staying on. About two weeks had passed at this stage. I had not been around the first week.

Obviously when I heard that I contacted the landlord to give 7 days notice that I felt threatened in the house and would be moving on.

When I heard that this fella was staying on, I left to get some things from home and fell ill. I never heard from the landlord about this situation the whole time, but apparently this fella was doing drugs again and basically broke into the next doors house. That was Saturday night, I would have given notice on the Sunday to be told he'd be gone on Monday. I was not made aware of the events of that weekend when I was away.

However at that stage I had made other arrangements, and TBH I didn't feel comfortable staying on in the house as this guy had a habit of coming back to the accommodation on his day release from the mental institution he was put in for observation.

The guy I thought was the landlord is actually the landlords wife. Had a phone conversation with her last Monday week in which she had a go and stated that after she had inspected my room, I'd get my deposit back the following week. All of last week passed and I heard nothing. Text her, text her husband nothing.

I have spent tonight since 7 this evening trying to get in contact with this woman. I first rang her husband, who then told me to ring her. She refused to answer the phone until I text her basically saying I would be taking the issue to the RTB, that seemed too get a reaction and now she's saying that I won't now get the deposit back as I left after 3 weeks and she's holding onto the deposit for "lost revenue".

I explained to this woman both times my reasons for leaving early and now she has gone back on her word.

Also anytime I contacted the landlord for some basic replacements, kettle, mattress key for door etc I was fobbed off. There was no lease. But they are registered with the RTB.

Just wondering what my options are now and any advice advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Document it all and go to the rtb maybe have a chat with the other house mate to see if there is anything he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The other housemate is friends with the landlord.

Have put in a appeal to the RTB.

Advertisement