Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home security cameras

Options
  • 25-09-2018 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi.

I'm has been asking about home security and I've been browsing it - there are a lot of different camera systems.

Does anyone know of a system with wireless cameras that both work iOS apps and come with their own hand held monitor. My Dad seems primarily interested in being able to see who is at the door and it didn't say anything about recording but I think he'd like to be able set it to record at night or when they go out. So maybe multiple cameras.

All the cameras I've seen online seem very noticeable. How do you keep them discreet?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You don't want them discreet, you want them noticeable. A lot of home security is letting potential burglars know that you have a good home security system and cameras and motion lights and good locks.

Seeing the above, most burglars will skip your home and break into an easier, less risky target instead.

Having said that the Ring doorbell camera or Nest doorbell camera are pretty discrete if that is what you want, though they will only cover the front door.

I don't know of any IP camera with a dedicated hand held monitor. But what you can do, is just buy a really cheap tablet, something like an Amazon Fire Tablet and just install the cameras app on it and have it stream all the time.

Some cameras also work with the Amazon Echo Show and Google Home screens. You can say to them, "Hey Google, show me the front door camera" and it displays the cameras video on the screen. Though this stuff is pretty new and developing.

Lots of folks over on the Home Automation forum have experience of various IP cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

bk wrote: »
    You don't want them discreet, you want them noticeable. A lot of home security is letting potential burglars know that you have a good home security system and cameras and motion lights and good locks.

Seeing the above, most burglars will skip your home and break into an easier, less risky target instead.

Having said that the Ring doorbell camera or Nest doorbell camera are pretty discrete if that is what you want, though they will only cover the front door.

I don't know of any IP camera with a dedicated hand held monitor. But what you can do, is just buy a really cheap tablet, something like an Amazon Fire Tablet and just install the cameras app on it and have it stream all the time.

Some cameras also work with the Amazon Echo Show and Google Home screens. You can say to them, "Hey Google, show me the front door camera" and it displays the cameras video on the screen. Though this stuff is pretty new and developing.

Lots of folks over on the Home Automation forum have experience of various IP cameras.

Thank you.

Yes, it does make sense to have the cameras noticeable and I hadn't thought of that, but it is also easy to interfere with a camera and be able to avoid it while still acting natural - that was my concern.

I saw the Ring doorbells on Amazon last night. I wouldn't class them as discreet at all - he camera is very obvious and easy to avoid.

These cameras have a monitor but no app - https://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/4-camera-1080p-hd-wireless-cctv-kit-mobile-access-touch-screen-dvr EDIT: Actually I'm wrong - this does have an app too.

A cheap tablet to use only as a monitor is very good idea though, thank you.

I'll try the Home Automation section. Didn't know about it - thanks for that too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

I got the Yi cameras recently (2 pack is 49.99 Sterling and offers a slick iOS app. Have them installed front and back - easy to set up and no issues over the past 3 weeks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CPRCPY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

og2k7 wrote: »
    I got the Yi cameras recently (2 pack is 49.99 Sterling and offers a slick iOS app. Have them installed front and back - easy to set up and no issues over the past 3 weeks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CPRCPY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Says they are indoor but description doesn't seem to give any reason for only being for indoor use.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Says they are indoor but description doesn't seem to give any reason for only being for indoor use.

I'd say its the waterproofing : I have them behind the front and back windows so the only downside is the IR blaster for night mode is off - but they are well lit so not a massive issue.

They have outdoor ones too: its a Xiaomi brand so you can expect good quality from my experience

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, it does make sense to have the cameras noticeable and I hadn't thought of that, but it is also easy to interfere with a camera and be able to avoid it while still acting natural - that was my concern.

Well many people place their cameras high up on the wall of the house, so that the only way to tamper with them would be with a ladder, which would be very noticeable. And these sort of cameras usually cover the entire front of a typical house so will easily catch anyone approaching them.
    I saw the Ring doorbells on Amazon last night. I wouldn't class them as discreet at all - he camera is very obvious and easy to avoid.

A lot more discreet then a typical dome or CCTV type camera. Those can usually be seen from the road, while depending on the position you might not notice a doorbell camera until you are right up to it.

Also many people don't even realise those are actually cameras!! The number of videos from the US of people stealing packages from peoples front doors right in front of these type of cameras can attest to that.

The idea of someone tampering with IP cameras is extremely unlikely. The way most work of these type of cameras work is that they stream video to a cloud storage service where it is stored and then send you a notification of movement detected. You'll have excellent footage of anyone trying to tamper with your camera. If you catch the notification fast enough you can even talk to the person over the two way mics built into most of these type of cameras :)

Realistically most burlgars don't try and tamper with cameras. They avoid them completely if they can.

Remember 50% of Irish homes have no security system. They'd rather target one of those homes, then risk targeting a home with an extensive security/camera system.

BTW the point of doorbell type cameras is that a very typical way for burglars to check if someone is home, is to go up to the front door, ring and see if someone answers. If someone answers, then they make up an excuse and move on, if no one answers and there is no obvious security/cameras, then break in. These doorbell type cameras allow you to answer the door, even when out. So they don't know if someone is home or not.

Also they allow you to answer the door without opening the door, which can help protect against forced entry type break ins.

Of course every house is different. A typical setup for a semi-d would be a camera high up on both on the front and back of the house, that would cover the front and back gardens and thus main approaches. A doorbell camera would then be a nice addition to that, but not definitely needed.

Of course no guarantees. Security is all about taking reasonable steps that make you less of a target or a more difficult target.

Well many people place their cameras high up on the wall of the house, so that the only way to tamper with them would be with a ladder, which would be very noticeable. And these sort of cameras usually cover the entire front of a typical house so will easily catch anyone approaching them.

A lot more discreet then a typical dome or CCTV type camera. Those can usually be seen from the road, while depending on the position you might not notice a doorbell camera until you are right up to it.

Also many people don't even realise those are actually cameras!! The number of videos from the US of people stealing packages from peoples front doors right in front of these type of cameras can attest to that.

The idea of someone tampering with IP cameras is extremely unlikely. The way most work of these type of cameras work is that they stream video to a cloud storage service where it is stored and then send you a notification of movement detected. You'll have excellent footage of anyone trying to tamper with your camera. If you catch the notification fast enough you can even talk to the person over the two way mics built into most of these type of cameras :)

Realistically most burlgars don't try and tamper with cameras. They avoid them completely if they can.

Remember 50% of Irish homes have no security system. They'd rather target one of those homes, then risk targeting a home with an extensive security/camera system.

BTW the point of doorbell type cameras is that a very typical way for burglars to check if someone is home, is to go up to the front door, ring and see if someone answers. If someone answers, then they make up an excuse and move on, if no one answers and there is no obvious security/cameras, then break in. These doorbell type cameras allow you to answer the door, even when out. So they don't know if someone is home or not.

Also they allow you to answer the door without opening the door, which can help protect against forced entry type break ins.

Of course every house is different. A typical setup for a semi-d would be a camera high up on both on the front and back of the house, that would cover the front and back gardens and thus main approaches. A doorbell camera would then be a nice addition to that, but not definitely needed.

Of course no guarantees. Security is all about taking reasonable steps that make you less of a target or a more difficult target.

You are of course correct that cameras would be high I don't up, but when I mentioned interfering with them I was thinking of a camera in the porch which would be reachable. I don't think I specified a porch though so the error is mine.

I now find myself interested in all this - not for security but being able to have a look at who is at the door without having to get up and peek out. 9 times out of ten it someone I don't know or some who'd I rather not be there. :P

You are of course correct that cameras would be high I don't up, but when I mentioned interfering with them I was thinking of a camera in the porch which would be reachable. I don't think I specified a porch though so the error is mine.

In the case of the Ring doorbell and Nest Doorbell, they are screwed to the wall, so pretty hard to tamper with. Of course not impossible, but again, why would someone do that when the camera will capture them doing it and save it in the cloud and would notify you of it immediately, giving you time to call the Gardai.

It is possible it would happen, but very unlikely, a burglar would have nothing to gain other then bring attention to themselves.

Maybe a kid/vandal might steal/destroy it, but that would be pretty dumb.

In the US Ring will replace it for free if it is stolen, I'm not sure that applies to Ireland.
    I now find myself interested in all this - not for security but being able to have a look at who is at the door without having to get up and peek out. 9 times out of ten it someone I don't know or some who'd I rather not be there. :P

Yup, that is also what a lot of people are using these for.

In the case of the Ring doorbell and Nest Doorbell, they are screwed to the wall, so pretty hard to tamper with. Of course not impossible, but again, why would someone do that when the camera will capture them doing it and save it in the cloud and would notify you of it immediately, giving you time to call the Gardai.

It is possible it would happen, but very unlikely, a burglar would have nothing to gain other then bring attention to themselves.

Maybe a kid/vandal might steal/destroy it, but that would be pretty dumb.

In the US Ring will replace it for free if it is stolen, I'm not sure that applies to Ireland.

Well, as you said earlier people are still dumb enough to to steal packages right in front of the camera.:)

Yup, that is also what a lot of people are using these for.

Now I want a hidden camera with a speaker so I freak people out :P

Advertisement