Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THERMAL VISION

• 25-09-2018 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Whats people's views on thermal hunting deer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

Or the new DS Swaro scope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

VERY Expensive![Knock off the Caps lock on the keyboard there:)]
    Looking at the bones of 4.5k for a gun mounted system over here.

It's like night vision in the 1970s to the fall of Soviet Russia.Huge money and then became relatively cheap with the surplus stuff hit the market.Would want to come down at least to half that price before I'd consider it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

i bought one of optic trade very impressed with it but a lot of coin i returned a week later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

I use a high end pulsar thermal spotter for foxing ,invaluable , we manage about 5000 acres of foxing and it really increases the amount of farms we cover in a night. I keep it in the jeep while stalking but have grabbed it once or twice to help locate shot deer in rougher land that can be hard to find if im on my own . I have a bad habit of over zooming in when shooting deer and it can be hard to place where they actually were after taking the shot.This time of year the rocks are still hot so not overly useful for locating fallen deer as its hard to distinguish rock from deer but once the temp drops below 5 - 6 degrees a dropped deer is very obvious .

My shooting buddy by coincidence has a ds. Glass seems fairly good but not z6/z8 quality . its a bit of a faf really ,100% accurate but not sure it justifies the weight as whats the max lads shoot out to anyway 300-350 ? . A personalised ballistic turret is a nicer option I think.The ds itself gives a lad no advantage other than incorporating someones rangefinder and ballistic app.

I use a pair of leicas hd-b and they also give me the correct ballistic solution to dial in on my z8. They use temp,angle ,air pressure and distance to calculate the solution. My favourite bit of kit.

Advertisement