Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council issue

• 25-09-2018 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Can anyone explain to me why it's acceptable for a teacher of other subjects to teach History to junior cert at second level, yet a history teacher is barred from teaching religion, for example, by the Teaching Council?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Can anyone explain to me why it's acceptable for a teacher of other subjects to teach History to junior cert at second level, yet a history teacher is barred from teaching religion, for example, by the Teaching Council?

If the school can't find a qualified teacher for a particular subject they can then slot in somone who is unqualified.
    Limitations of timetabling are also another factor. So while somone qualified in a subject like maths may not be on full hours, if the subject was blocked on a timetable and 4 teachers were needed but only 3 maths teachers were in the school, then they would need to give hours to somone not qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The TC don't bar anyone from teaching anything. That's not in their power. Who teaches what is entirely at the discretion of individual school management. They can put a History teacher teaching Religion just as easily as putting a CSPE teacher teaching History.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The TC don't bar anyone from teaching anything.
    The TC really doesn't do anything, bar collect annual subscriptions and provide quango employment.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

endacl wrote: »
    The TC really doesn't do anything, bar collect annual subscriptions and provide quango employment.

:pac:

Don't forget organising féilte. There is a teachers got talent competition this year. Such (forced)fun

Don't forget organising féilte. There is a teachers got talent competition this year. Such (forced)fun

Had to google that.

Side note: Did you know you can phone the tc and tell them to stop sending you spam? The only email I get from them is notification of my annual payment due.

Edit: Just a thought, but wouldn’t it be funny if every teacher did this and the only contact the tc had with the profession was an annual mailshot requesting payments to fund them for another year of waiting to send the same email?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Had to google that.

Side note: Did you know you can phone the tc and tell them to stop sending you spam? The only email I get from them is notification of my annual payment due.

Edit: Just a thought, but wouldn’t it be funny if every teacher did this and the only contact the tc had with the profession was an annual mailshot requesting payments to fund them for another year of waiting to send the same email?

:D

Or charge to have their spam pre-assessed by another quango before receiving it.

Or charge to have their spam pre-assessed by another quango before receiving it.
    Anybody up for forming a quango?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Anybody up for forming a quango?

Have you got a friend in the Department who can force teachers to sign up for this quango or stop your pay? :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Have you got a friend in the Department who can force teachers to sign up for this quango or stop your pay? :)

The teaching council is a useless body set up to cause misery for teachers. We basically pay the legal costs of the prosecution if we end up before it.
    A Bom could do the same job.
    I cant think of one thing it has done thats made my job easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Useless shower.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
Advertisement