Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future of diesel

• 26-09-2018 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Well lads, it’s time herself gets a new car. I farm so I imagine the likes of diesel for jeeps will continue to be a thing of the future. What are people’s thoughts on diesel for your regular commuter in the future? Would she be as well off to get a petrol?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Low mileage? Petrol.
    High mileage? Diesel.
    Lots of short journeys? Petrol, regardless of mileage.
    Lots of long journeys? Diesel, regardless of mileage.
    Low budget? Small petrol and avoid prolonged high speeds.
    Money no object? Diesel and work away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Low mileage? Petrol.
    High mileage? Diesel.
    Lots of short journeys? Petrol, regardless of mileage.
    Lots of long journeys? Diesel, regardless of mileage.
    Low budget? Small petrol and avoid prolonged high speeds.
    Money no object? Diesel and work away :D

Agree mostly with above but low mileage lots of short journoes has to include an electric option to be considered.

We’re an all diesel household at the moment because of massive mileage but I see the place for electric and this will expand as cars and range improves.

Diesel will be a mainstream of motoring in Ireland for at least another 10 years and possibly allot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

_Brian wrote: »
    Agree mostly with above but low mileage lots of short journoes has to include an electric option to be considered.

We’re an all diesel household at the moment because of massive mileage but I see the place for electric and this will expand as cars and range improves.

Diesel will be a mainstream of motoring in Ireland for at least another 10 years and possibly allot more.

I don't see it myself, definitely not with lithium. Too rare to replace ICE. Probably makes it a good investment opportunity in the meantime tho... Coming up with something better would help -aluminium batteries perhaps?- but if lithium is the only option, then the purely electric car is dead already. Needs to be something other than lithium imo..

I'd like to see diesel electric transmission (not necessarily hybrid) make it's way down from dump trucks. It's already used on buses, so why not get it going on HGVs?
    Downsize further, your pick-up truck or jeep. Replace the gearbox and drive train (max torque from zero revs should take care of any low-range gearing needs) with a generator and motors and your Hilux or Trooper of tomorrow could do 40 or 45mpg. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As Renegade Mechanic pointed out, the mileage she will be doing means a lot.
    How many miles will she be doing per day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    Well lads, it’s time herself gets a new car. I farm so I imagine the likes of diesel for jeeps will continue to be a thing of the future. What are people’s thoughts on diesel for your regular commuter in the future? Would she be as well off to get a petrol?

Do you buy the car under company?

If using as a company car you could look at electric and use the 0% BIK

Low mileage? Petrol/Hybrid/Electric
    High mileage? Diesel/Electric
    Lots of short journeys? Petrol/Hybrid/Electric
    Lots of long journeys? Diesel/Electric once under 400km per trip

Added in a few options. Hybrid of course is option and electric :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hang on, do you need a family car or a family car /jeep?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

The Jeep is commercial so no can do for family. Her work has her driving maybe 70km per day but these are all short journeys from her base. No company car, only an allowance that barely covers diesel. Occasional long trips of over 60 miles. Really like the auris hybrid but she wants something like a Passat so as to future proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I would go for Diesel, Just take advantage of the market currently. That is if you intend to by used car. Or road tested as i call it 😂.

Jesus talk about clowns panic buying and selling. On this Diesel merit.

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    The Jeep is commercial so no can do for family. Her work has her driving maybe 70km per day but these are all short journeys from her base. No company car, only an allowance that barely covers diesel. Occasional long trips of over 60 miles. Really like the auris hybrid but she wants something like a Passat so as to future proof

Depends on if you are buying new or second hand and what budget you have in place? With that type of driving electric or hybrid would suit.

Passat do GTE model but I think it is expensive.

You could try the Kona Crossover(38k and take delivery potentially in 191) or Ioniq(very few around but Hyundai dealers are bringing in 181 cars from UK to meet supply).

If Auris size then Leaf 2 which would be similar, hugely popular and ready to buy. Don't mind all the talk about #rapidgate, 95% of users will never see an issue. Or eGolf which is great electric car but very few around.

You have the hybrid Golf as well, lovely car but not cheap. The electric is better to be honest to the hybrid

Hybrid of course you could look at Prius. If going for Crossover the C-HR is great with hybrid engine. Rav4 have a new model out next year which will make it great option, the current model is hard on petrol. All Toyota range is hybrid these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Currently driving an 05 diesel Octavia, but looking to change now don't do the miles for a modern diesel petrols fuel consumption doesn't seem to have improved much since my 1998 primera days, so thinking of splashing out on a used Lexus ct200h hybrid.

But really don't know what to buy but imported diesels are dog cheap at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm going to suggest Kia Niro PHEV or Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Best of both worlds. Electric for short journeys and petrol for when you need to go a bit further - based on what the mileage you are saying, I think a diesel may not be warranted.

Big plus would be if she had an option to charge at work too.

daheff wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest Kia Niro PHEV or Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Best of both worlds. Electric for short journeys and petrol for when you need to go a bit further - based on what the mileage you are saying, I think a diesel may not be warranted.

Big plus would be if she had an option to charge at work too.

Both excellent choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

in the same position ourselves, unsure what to do - diesel suv or petrol. She wants an X1 (used circa 181), lots of people saying diesel is doomed, i am thinking how so. Will we get hammered in a couple of years and be stuck with something with bugger all value

in the same position ourselves, unsure what to do - diesel suv or petrol. She wants an X1 (used circa 181), lots of people saying diesel is doomed, i am thinking how so. Will we get hammered in a couple of years and be stuck with something with bugger all value

That’s the guess work....

The government was supposed to put additional tax on per Ltr on diesel but then chickened out at the very last min.....they got hammered on it and I would expect next year they will have to do something but they are useless so who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Shefwedfan wrote: »

That’s the guess work....

The government was supposed to put additional tax on per Ltr on diesel but then chickened out at the very last min.....they got hammered on it and I would expect next year they will have to do something but they are useless so who knows

You seem disappointed at this why would you want people and businesses to incur increased fuel costs the motorist gives the state enough I'm flabbergasted by your attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Philb76 wrote: »
    You seem disappointed at this why would you want people and businesses to incur increased fuel costs the motorist gives the state enough I'm flabbergasted by your attitude

Well said, the motorist is absolutely shafted by the Government, between motor tax, VRT and fuel duty, and then insurers join in on the misery for good measure if you want anything even remotely interesting. If they want people to stop buying diesel make petrol and other options cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

nqtfarmer wrote:

What's the mileage to get to her base?
    Also, would those short journeys be classed as commercial? Does she deliver goods or services? Question of insurance.

Not sure a passat is a future proof?

Octavia maybe then?

Advertisement