Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Trip Format

Options
  • 26-09-2018 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Have a trip planned this weekend to coincide with the Ryder cup. what was the perfect 12 players 6v6 Fourball better ball format has been thrown a spanner with a late pull out leaving us at 11.

Playing over 2 days so looking for suggestions on format. Group is of mixed standard 6 Regular players sub 5 Official H/C's and 6 occasional players with 2/3 low 20's and 2/3 solid 28's

On H/C side would you push the really ****e lads up to 36?

On the format side was thinking 3 matches 2v2,2v2 and a 2v1 with only 1 counting on odds/evens and maybe someone from group 2 dropping back to group 3 for the back 9 so only 9 holes as a 3 ball.

Open to suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Ronney wrote: »
    Have a trip planned this weekend to coincide with the Ryder cup. what was the perfect 12 players 6v6 Fourball better ball format has been thrown a spanner with a late pull out leaving us at 11.

Playing over 2 days so looking for suggestions on format. Group is of mixed standard 6 Regular players sub 5 Official H/C's and 6 occasional players with 2/3 low 20's and 2/3 solid 28's

On H/C side would you push the really ****e lads up to 36?

On the format side was thinking 3 matches 2v2,2v2 and a 2v1 with only 1 counting on odds/evens and maybe someone from group 2 dropping back to group 3 for the back 9 so only 9 holes as a 3 ball.

Open to suggestions?

Been here a few times. There’s no easy answer.

I’d run with

- 3 x four ball matches on the Saturday, and in the odd group, the team with 2 players only compete on alternate holes.

- 4 x singles and 1 x four ball (really a 3 ball) on the Sunday. Same alternate holes rule would apply.

- anyone drawn in the 3-ball on the Saturday can’t be be drawn in the Sunday 3-ball.

- each team captain can request either 1 or 2 stroke handicap reductions for up to 2 non-GUI opponents on the Saturday evening. This is good for banter and for fairness.

You need singles on the Sunday. If there’s a whitewash on the Saturday in pairs, Sunday is not competitive.

By the way, I wouldn’t ever ask a man to switch group mid round. It’s unfair on everyone to change the dynamic (and betting patterns) midway through.

And unless there’s a serious gap in talent within the group, play as close to “real” handicap allowances as possible, but limit the differential to 18. Sounds perhaps like a forced rule - but I’ve seen the situation occur where high man has 2 strokes on a par 3 and nails one in the middle of the green, leaving the low man needing a hole-in-one for a half (and to stay in the match) Golf shouldn’t be that cruel!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We are in a similar situation but have no clue what to do. My only suggestion, a rubbish one I may add, was to draw a name from the hat and that person will still play both days but not the match on that day. They of course have to play the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You could also allow the odd guy to play two balls.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You could also allow the odd guy to play two balls.
    I hope he’s not the 36 handicapper in that case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

where are ye playing? could rope in a person or persons from on here who live locally & are up for a fun day or 2 of golf... might be easiest solution

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Cheers,

Hadn't really considered the singles option but could be a runner, Might need to fix the draw slightly so as to avoid all low v high matches. Day 2 slightly hung over hack off between 2 28 H/C all square going down the last could raise some banter!

The swapping a man back would just give more people a chance to play with each other. All good mates and a bit of a reunion about the weekend.

Playing in Portugal so not sure how many locals on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

thewobbler wrote: »
    I hope he’s not the 36 handicapper in that case!
    Well you could do a handicap adjustment for the second ball. I suspect that everyone hits their second better than their first. :D

But it's also a bit more tiring for that player, so could be swings and roundabouts. Certainly would make sure that they only have to do it once.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Off topic but whereabouts in Portugal?

Advertisement