Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to see how much medical insurance my employer paid?

• 26-09-2018 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

My employer pays for my vhi. I want to claim back medical insurance relief (think that's what it's called anyway).

The revenue site is asking me how much was paid for the year that I'm claiming (it's 4 years ago) and I can't seem to find any doc that has this. P21 doesn't have it for example, can't think what else could have it.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

I thought it is a tax relief at source now, has been for a number of years, you can't claim it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dubliner999

Dymo wrote: »
    I thought it is a tax relief at source now, has been for a number of years, you can't claim it back.

Maybe you're right but I saw someone say you can claim back 20% and up to 200 euro if your employer paid 1k or more. I could be completely wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mad idea:

Ask your employer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

My employer pays for my vhi. I want to claim back medical insurance relief (think that's what it's called anyway).

The revenue site is asking me how much was paid for the year that I'm claiming (it's 4 years ago) and I can't seem to find any doc that has this. P21 doesn't have it for example, can't think what else could have it.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

The P21 doesn't have it because you haven't claimed it. In order to figure out how much was load for you by your employer for particular year you'll have to ask your employer who paid it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.
    Would employer paying health ins not be treated as a BIK. You mighht end up owing revenue money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

poppers wrote: »
    Would employer paying health ins not be treated as a BIK. You mighht end up owing revenue money

Was probably under some group membership scheme like the Credit Union has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 El Grifo

If the employer paid med ins for you then you should have been taxed benefit in kind on it at your marginal rate of tax (Hint check week 52 payslip for the total on which bik was paid ) you won’t see it shown separately anywhere else such as on p60 as it’s just part of total pay on which tax was charged.

However as med ins is allowable at 20% tax the amount paid, subject to limits of €1,000 per adult and €500 per child is allowed as a credit on the employee’s side.

You need to have the med ins renewal to see how much is paid by the employer and by you and enter that on your tax return to claim it . You can do this electronically on My Account ROS or a paper return form 12, and you can claim the current plus 4 previous years so back to 2014.

It gets a little more involved if the employer pays part and the employee also contributes but the med insurer renewal should show that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Dymo wrote: »

not if paid by the employer as is the case here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/medical-insurance-premiums/index.aspx

OP you need to ask employer

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement