Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Lodged Money in my Acc

• 26-09-2018 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭

Checked my online banking earlier and saw that I had mysteriously gone up by 8k.

Rang the bank and they said that as it was still "pending" they couldn't give me any info on it.

Obviously I don't want to go spending it when it's likely it will be rectified in the coming days, but what's the best course of action here?

Comments

Don't touch it until you know it's yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Take no action, its not your money. If its not gone tomorrow ring the bank again and ask them to take it out of your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Checked my online banking earlier and saw that I had mysteriously gone up by 8k.

Rang the bank and they said that as it was still "pending" they couldn't give me any info on it.

Obviously I don't want to go spending it when it's likely it will be rectified in the coming days, but what's the best course of action here?

“ the best course of action” really ?? You need the internet to tell you what to do ??

Jesus, wait until they realize it’s a mistake and Go about your living .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hawkelady wrote: »
    “ the best course of action” really ?? You need the internet to tell you what to do ??

Jesus, wait until they realize it’s a mistake and Go about your living .....

I meant as in, "I called the bank to report it already and they couldn't tell me anything". Do I keep calling them or do I report it to another financial body?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The bank already told you its pending, why would you call another institution? Wait 2 business days for it to clear and then call the bank back.

Also why in earth would you be spending it. Its not your money and the error will be rectified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I meant as in, "I called the bank to report it already and they couldn't tell me anything". Do I keep calling them or do I report it to another financial body?

Ok , wait till Thursday or Friday and if it’s still there , ring them again. Not sure why you mentioned spending it if you’re fairly sure it’s not yours to spend !!!

hawkelady wrote: »
    Ok , wait till Thursday or Friday and if it’s still there , ring them again. Not sure why you mentioned spending it if you’re fairly sure it’s not yours to spend !!!

Because there's plenty of people whose first reaction is "book a trip to Vegas!!". I've no intention spending money that isn't mine, hence my first port of call being to ring the bank and get more info.

I'll keep an eye over the next day or two; it's mad that they can't give me info when it's pending, surely they should be able to do it faster. I'm assuming the payment was meant to hit somebody else's acc and they're waiting on it!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'll keep an eye over the next day or two;

They can come back to you about this any time for the next 6 years or so....

I got to the bottom of it; my company wrongly refunded my expenses (on my company credit card) to my personal account (which they have on the expenses system from when I was on a work trip).

Transferred it back yesterday, so all done and dusted!

Advertisement