Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What depth do you change tyre?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Isambard wrote: »
    with a fwd car, it doesn't really matter what the back end is doing so long as the front wheels pull the car the way it's meant to be going.

What about under hard breaking where the front wheels are not “pulling” the car? You still need decent rear grip for cornering and hard braking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

most of the braking is done by the front wheels.

Most, but not all. You’re also forgetting that you rely on the rear tyres to keep the rear of the car stuck to the road. If they don’t have enough grip, then the rear of the car will overtake the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Which unloads the rear wheels...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Most, but not all. You’re also forgetting that you rely on the rear tyres to keep the rear of the car stuck to the road. If they don’t have enough grip, then the rear of the car will overtake the front.

not if you're able to drive within the limits of the car, I had my first fwd in 1982 and never have I had the problem you describe.

not if you're able to drive within the limits of the car, I had my first fwd in 1982 and never have I had the problem you describe.

You’re not always going to be able to keep within the limits of the car though. I’d rather have a bit of extra grip for emergency situations. It’s these emergency situations that people seem to ignore - buying the cheapest tyres they can because they “always drive within the limits of the car” for example rather than spending a bit extra for a better gripping tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The rear being more likely to oversteer in the case of an extreme change of direction is true.

You’re replacing that with the the increased likelihood of aquaplaning, increased stopping distances and increased understeering.

I agree, in real world driving deepest tread on front is best for FWD. As well as what you mentioned there are those times on wet Irish roads when you need to pull out quickly at a T junction and need all the front grip you can get. All of the risks best tread on front addresses are encountered more commonly than oversteer.

The advice to put best tread on the rear even with FWD seems to consider only the most catastrophic outcome when driving in a fairly extreme fashion. I don't think I've ever encountered oversteer when driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

This thread is gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Honestly don't think ppl check tyres often enough,Aldi car park bishoptown last week,car next to me 2 tyres next to my parked cars bald,walked around,other 2 ok, just down to laziness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Honestly don't think ppl check tyres often enough,Aldi car park bishoptown last week,car next to me 2 tyres next to my parked cars bald,walked around,other 2 ok, just down to laziness

Bald is not the biggest issue. The amount of cars I see running on flats is appaling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I understand the logic and benefit of running the better tyre on the rear of a FWD car, but it's far more advantageous to run them on the front in my experience of both fast road and track driving. Steering & stopping are your most important controls as a driver, nearly all of which happen through the front axle.

The truth is you shouldn't have to choose between having the good tyres on the front or back if you just have four good tyres like you're supposed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If a child steps out in front of you what axle do you want your best tires on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

If a child steps out in front of you what axle do you want your best tires on?

Assuming the child is stepping out from the kerb on the left, I'd want the good tyres on that side to allow me to swerve safely. Failing that, I'd want front left good and rear right good because you never know what's going to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Tom Hardly

This thread is gas.

Agreed - gas because the way people are carrying on you'd swear we were all regular F1 drivers, not driving regular diesel hatchbacks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

grogi wrote: »

Bald is not the biggest issue. The amount of cars I see running on flats is appaling.
    Y madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

When they blow off.

And it was today I have seen a beautiful dance on the Wilton Roundabout. Poor fella had his better tyres on the front in his FWD Punto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

grogi wrote: »
    And it was today I have seen a beautiful dance on the Wilton Roundabout. Poor fella had his better tyres on the front in his FWD Punto...

Coming from Tesco, going to B'town ?

Had the rear end of a bmw kick out there in the wet (damp) when using ditch finder's that came with a spare set of alloys.

Combination of shīt tyres and road surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I rotated my tyres at it's first service (30k), 2nd service they were swapped again (60k). Got 85k from the 4 factory tyres. Changed them at 2mm all around, noticed the car a bit twitcy in the wet. Night and day difference between 2mm all around and new tyres in the wet, no difference when dry. Though my fuel consumption went up a small bit with the new tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What replacement tyres did you get Sitec?

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    Coming from Tesco, going to B'town ?

Had the rear end of a bmw kick out there in the wet (damp) when using ditch finder's that came with a spare set of alloys.

Combination of shīt tyres and road surface.

180* from that - going from VCross before Glasheen exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What replacement tyres did you get Sitec?

Went with Goodyear EfficentGrip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I replaced my Pirelli p7's with Good year ascymetric 3. And the grip is a lot better.

At the tool booths,.. putting your foot down .. no tyre squeal.. just pure grip.

New tyres on the rear.. but i don't have a choice, since the fronts are a different size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m at the wear blocks (1.6mm) now on the front and rear. The tyres (Avon ZZ5’s) have 33k km’s on them and were rotated at 16k kms. The grip is still surprisingly very very good even in the wet but they’ll be replaced in the coming weeks...just not sure what to replace them with yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I’m at the wear blocks (1.6mm) now on the front and rear. The tyres (Avon ZZ5’s) have 33k km’s on them and were rotated at 16k kms. The grip is still surprisingly very very good even in the wet but they’ll be replaced in the coming weeks...just not sure what to replace them with yet.

I am currently running Avon ZV7s (meant to be the replacement for the ZV5) and I am very happy with them. Great grip in all conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I am currently running Avon ZV7s (meant to be the replacement for the ZV5) and I am very happy with them. Great grip in all conditions.

Yeah I can’t fault the grip levels (wet or dry) and they’ve worn well and provided good mileage for a 225/45/18 tyre but I won’t be buying them again as I found them quite noisy.

When they get to the legal limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

DaDumTish wrote: »

But he's right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

i would have had that on loop in the waiting room back in my tyre fitting days...
    then again it would probably still be ignored by people who still think the guy with the cheapest solution is the one giving the best advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement