Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People asking for money for hostel

Options
  • 26-09-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

How's it going everyone?

Just wanted to ask about this because it's something I've experienced twice within the space of a few weeks. Once in the car park outside Tesco and once just as I was about to go into the IMC. Are they chancers or what's the story? The first person was a woman who seemed to be in a bit of distress and a bit dishevelled looking but the second lad was dressed quite well and probably had more money than I did!

I genuinely wouldn't mind helping someone out if they were in a spot of bother but I'm not gonna help a junkie or someone just taking the pi$$. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Don't give any money to anyone asking for it to stay in the hostel they are lying about needing money for the hostel.

Don't give any money to anyone begging, Offer to buy them a sandwich or some food and a hot drink if you really want to help them.

Don't give money to anyone asking for a €1 for the bus.

Don't give money you aren't doing them any favors at all by giving them money.

Don't give money.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you are still unsure offer to walk them up to the hostel and speak to the hostel staff for them who will happily deal with them and will then assess there needs.

Whatever you don't give them money.

If they're rattling from a need for drink or heroin and you are so inclined I wouldn't go the sandwich etc route tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭sonic85

I didn't give them anything - was just wondering if this is a "thing" now around the town? I've seen people begging around ATMs and stuff but never had anyone be as brazen and approach me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

It's been a regular thing all over the town for the last 3/4 years.The same 6 or7 junkie guys are doing it they all have their own spots and swap around from time to time they all know each other. There is about 3 girls who appear from time to time.Their is one old guy in a flash jacket who begs up and down Tullow st and Dublin st for money to gamble. They have all been offered help by the different organizations around the town and have all refused the help. The guy outside Pennys at the moment is a nasty piece of work be careful around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

It's been a regular thing all over the town for the last 3/4 years.The same 6 or7 junkie guys are doing it they all have their own spots and swap around from time to time they all know each other. There is about 3 girls who appear from time to time.Their is one old guy in a flash jacket who begs up and down Tullow st and Dublin st for money to gamble. They have all been offered help by the different organizations around the town and have all refused the help. The guy outside Pennys at the moment is a nasty piece of work be careful around him.

He's simply transferred over from the other Penneys as it happens; was a regular there too.

Wears a red jacket; I know his name and he sits right outside front door of Carlow S.C. or sometimes a little up or down from it but always facing it so he can tap people coming in and out and going up and down while leaning against a pole.

There's also a wan sits outside Centra at the bin; makes herself real small & pitiful looking; can't name her on here but again I'd know the name and all I'll say is she's not Irish but her English is native and she'd be known to the Gardai and she's known to the court; was one of 11 (8 M & 3 F I think) arrested in 2010 for heroin dealing.

Last week I was passing there and there was another female there at the door; came back along a couple hours later and they were swapping over; clearly in cahoots and they've got their various shifts.

Giving money to them is enabling them; cut out the middle person, find out who their dealers are and give it directly to them instead so the junkies can get it on tick because that's where it's all going bar 2 of those who beg.

Someone there said about 6 or 8? I'd go higher; I'd go with 8-10, maybe 10 or 12 even.

Also to say all of them're in receipt of any and every benefit they're entitled to; I saw the convicted armed robber (see my previous post this week on his latest crime spree) signing on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Homeless hostels are free; the others wouldn't let them in.

sabat wrote: »
    Homeless hostels are free; the others wouldn't let them in.

SVDP is 10 a night; think it's automatically deducted from welfare payment; I was in there for a visit/interview/walk through once and having been in the tourist hostel on Kilkenny Rd. I'd rather the SVP one; tourist hostel is grim!

As for those asking for money for a hostel I always call their bluff; I ring the lady of the house and tell her I'm sending someone down and I give her their name; they go all coy and shy all of a sudden and begin to make excuses and shuffle off.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Ye all of them staying in the svp hostel get their full welfare and get all the help they need in finding places to live and fight their habit thought my guess most don't want that help they just want the dole money. They also get 3/4 meals a day in the hostel so they aren't begging for money for the hostel or food they a junkies begging for drugs.The tourist hostel out the kilkenny rd is just full of junkies god help any real tourists who actually need to stay there they would be better off in a tent somewhere that up there.

Ye all of them staying in the svp hostel get their full welfare and get all the help they need in finding places to live and fight their habit thought my guess most don't want that help they just want the dole money. They also get 3/4 meals a day in the hostel so they aren't begging for money for the hostel or food they a junkies begging for drugs.The tourist hostel out the kilkenny rd is just full of junkies god help any real tourists who actually need to stay there they would be better off in a tent somewhere that up there.

My experience of Otterholt Tourist Hostel is somewhat different in terms of clientele in that I know they take/he hosts many Intl. (Non EU) & Erasmus Third Level Students from across the road in the IT as well as some Irish; unlike SVDP it's a privately run establishment and prices vary but start or begin from 50 a week I think; unlike SVP there's nothing else included in terms of meals.

For our local beggars/junkies they get their free meal in Soup Kitchen; no questions asked so anyone, even if they can afford to pay out 1 or 2 Euro a meal 5 days a week (but they won't and don't despite there being a donation box on site!) can tuck in to a 3 course meal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement