Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on upgrade choices

Options
  • 26-09-2018 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, i'm an avid gamer looking to upgrade my system, and i'm looking for recommendations, particularly when it comes to motherboard & ram choice.

Current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PJ83mq

1. What is your budget?
    €1500ish for CPU, Motherboard, RAM, screen

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming almost exclusively.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Yes, i aim to keep the SSD's, case, GPU, PSU (if sufficient after upgrades).

5. Do you need a monitor?
    Yes. I already have a 1 x 1440p 60hz & 1 x 1080p, but i want to go to 144hz for the gaming monitor. 27inch(ish)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Yes

8. How can you pay?
    Flexible

9. When are you purchasing?
    2-3 months

Other: I couldn't care less about RGB, so i'm not willing to pay extra for RGB enabled kit unless they also come with a performance boost.
    I am slightly hard of hearing and cannot hear the bottom 20-30db of sounds, so case fans etc don't bother me much. Performance over quietness preferred.

I was thinking about a 8700k and kit to match, but i'm open to suggestions.

Cheers lads, Roy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sorry missed the link to current build!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XNN23KL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tm0QBbTVB1T5K

Lots of Predator screens reduced on Amazon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You gain more from upgrading your GPU than the CPU.

fitzgeme is selling a nice machine here though:
    https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/high-end-pc-1080ti-6800k-x99/16356335

Which would be a CPU and GPU upgrade under budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shoelessbeats

"You gain more from upgrading your GPU than the CPU." Well that's not true....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You gain more from upgrading your GPU than the CPU.

Would i not be better off upgrading my 4 generation old CPU than making a minor bump from 1070 to 1080?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Would i not be better off upgrading my 4 generation old CPU than making a minor bump from 1070 to 1080?

1070 to 1080 Ti isn't minor; it's 60-80% faster.
    A CPU upgrade would be 30% at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1070 to 1080 Ti isn't minor; it's 60-80% faster.
    A CPU upgrade would be 30% at most.

Agreed, your CPU is aging but still decent enough, for now you would benefit from a GPU upgrade most, and stave off a full system upgrade for another couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you're going 144hz something like an 8700K would give you decent gains over the 4790K, but assuming you've a healthy overclock on the 4790K and the RAM, I agree that if it comes down to either or, a 1080Ti is a far more sensible upgrade and will make much more of a difference.

A 1080Ti + 1440p 144hz screen is going to eat up a lot of that budget, especially if you go g-sync. But I'd take a 4790K + 1080Ti over a 8700K + 1070 for gaming any day of the week.

Advertisement