Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink: Battle For Atlas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The game itself looks tempting but all that plastic tat puts me right off it. Might be something to pick up from the bargain bin in six months or so for me, but I just have no interest in the toys to life thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The game itself looks tempting but all that plastic tat puts me right off it.

Same here, but am I wrong in thinking it is optional and you can play without doing that toy assembly thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'll get the starter pack, Ubi have said you can complete the game with just that - who knows if i resist the in game purchases though - i know i wont buy any more of the addons physically though.

I wouldn't have been tempted until the Star Fox addition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The game itself looks tempting but all that plastic tat puts me right off it. Might be something to pick up from the bargain bin in six months or so for me, but I just have no interest in the toys to life thing.

I'm the same.
    I'd love to play this kind of game, but as a 46 year old man I don't really want to have to play with these toys to life games at all.

I suppose I may have to wait for the ropey NFC cards to emerge on Aliexpress, at least I could play it and retain what little dignity I still have.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm the same.
    I'd love to play this kind of game, but as a 46 year old man I don't really want to have to play with these toys to life games at all.

So it is confirmed the plastic toys are required any don’t have any software equivalent?

If it is the case that’d put me off as well :-/

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    So it is confirmed the plastic toys are required any don’t have any software equivalent?

This is not correct.

https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/faq
    Can I play Starlink: Battle for Atlas without the modular toys (digital only)?

Yes. The modular toys are not required. Each starship, pilot, and weapon in Starlink: Battle for Atlas is available for purchase in physical and digital formats. All Starter Pack physical starships, weapons, and pilots are permanently unlocked digitally as well.

Additionally, all physical toys unlock their digital counterparts for a period of time when connected via the controller mount, letting you play how you want, when you want.

https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-videos/335772/starlink-battle-for-atlas-play-the-way-you-want-

Yeah seems it's cheaper to just buy the Digital Edition too. I'll keep an eye on the reviews now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll be sticking to digital this time I'd say.
    But the Starfox one, in physical form, might be too attractive...
    I'll wait for some feedback about the game, maybe buy it then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Ugh. It's really turning me off that you need to buy extra weapons and ships for the full game. Wherever happened to the good old days of unlocking through gameplay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

The add on thingys are nuts. Is there NFC in each piece that unlocks something ?
    Also - if they made it mandatory it would kinda stop people progressing on the game when using it undocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I can't wait to buy this in 12-18 months time for 15 quid, then hide the ship in my box of shame with all my amiibo and infinity figures. Which reminds me, Lego Dimensions had finally succumbed and is twenty smackers on wiiu

Grassey wrote: »
    Ugh. It's really turning me off that you need to buy extra weapons and ships for the full game. Wherever happened to the good old days of unlocking through gameplay!

+1 ... besides the lack of quality games, in app purchases are one reason I have little interest in mobile/iPad gaming :-/

https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-videos/335772/starlink-battle-for-atlas-play-the-way-you-want-
    STARLINK: BATTLE FOR ATLAS – PLAY THE WAY YOU WANT
    In Starlink: Battle for Atlas, you'll be able to mix and match every modular toy - starship hulls, wings, pilots, and weapons - to customize your loadout and see it instantly come to life onscreen. Each starship, pilot, and weapon has its own characteristics and special abilities to help you in your fight against the Forgotten Legion.

You can choose from the physical or digital editions to launch your experience, and the Starter Pack contains everything you need to play the full game. You can then further customize the way you play by adding more physical toys or digital parts to your existing Starlink collection. The way you play is totally up to you!

FAQ

HOW CAN I PLAY STARLINK: BATTLE FOR ATLAS?

BCM5HSR.png

WHAT DOES EACH EDITION INCLUDE?

The Nintendo Switch Starter Pack includes:

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (game)
    Controller Mount
    Arwing toy including modular hull and two wings, with Laser cannon weapons and charge shot built in
    Fox McCloud Pilot
    Mason Rana Pilot
    Shredder Weapon
    Flamethrower Weapon
    Frost Barrage Weapon
    Digital versions of Zenith Starship and Shredder weapon
    Exclusive Star Fox mission add on content
    Price: $74.99

In addition, players who prefer to play without toys can choose one of the digital editions.

The Digital Edition includes:

4 starships: Zenith, Neptune, Pulse, and Lance
    6 pilots: Mason, Judge, Chase, Hunter, Levi, and Razor
    12 weapons: Flamethrower, Frost Barrage, Shredder, Levitator, Volcano, Imploder, Iron Fist, Freeze Ray MK. 2, Crusher, Shredder MK. 2, Shockwave, and Gauss Gun MK. 2
    The Nintendo Switch version includes all of the above content plus the Arwing starship and Fox McCloud pilot!
    Price: $59.99

The Digital Deluxe Edition includes:

5 starships: Zenith, Neptune, Pulse, Lance, and Nadir
    9 pilots: Mason, Judge, Chase, Hunter, Shaid, Levi, Razor, Eli, and Kharl
    15 weapons: Flamethrower, Frost Barrage, Shredder, Levitator, Volcano, Imploder, Nullifier, Iron Fist, Freeze Ray MK. 2, Crusher, Shredder MK. 2, Shockwave, Gauss Gun MK. 2,, Hailstorm, and Meteor MK. 2
    The Nintendo Switch version includes all of the above content plus the Arwing starship and Fox McCloud pilot!
    Price: $79.99

The Digital Collection 1 Pack includes:

4 starships: Neptune, Pulse, Lance, and Nadir
    8 pilots: Levi, Razor, Eli, Kharl, Chase, Hunter, Judge, and Shaid
    12 weapons: Levitator, Volcano, Imploder, Nullifier, Iron Fist, Freeze Ray MK. 2, Crusher, Shredder MK.2, Shockwave, Gauss Gun MK.2, Hailstorm, and Meteor MK. 2
    Price: $59.99
    Additional starships, pilots, and weapons are also available for purchase separately, either in physical packs or as digital downloads.

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THE DIFFERENT EDITIONS OF STARLINK: BATTLE FOR ATLAS?
    For more details about all the available offers, please visit the Ubisoft Store, the Nintendo eShop, the PlayStation Store, or the Xbox Marketplace.

CAN I MIX DIGITAL AND PHYSICAL ELEMENTS?
    You can play using the physical toys or the digital versions of your loadout, however, you either play with physical toys or without – meaning that you cannot swap a digital part while playing with a Starship on top of your controller mount. When playing in co-op, each player can decide to play with or without toys.

PHYSICAL TOYS APPEAR DIRECTLY ONSCREEN WHEN I PLACE THEM ON THE CONTROLLER MOUNT. HOW CAN I BUILD MY STARSHIP WITH DIGITAL TOYS?
    When in digital mode, you can see all the starships, pilots, and weapons that you have in your arsenal and build your starship in the game menu. You can swap and build the starship of your dreams with all your digital items onscreen.

DO I NEED ALL STARSHIPS / WEAPONS / PILOTS TO ACCESS THE FULL EXPERIENCE?
    You can access and enjoy the full Starlink: Battle for Atlas experience with just the Starter Pack. Adding additional parts, whether physical toys or digital parts, to your collection will then provide you with more creative possibilities and allow you to further customize the way you play Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Is it possible to buy this game physical without the toys? Only option im seeing in shops is the €80 version with the toy. I just want the cartridge. Can't see that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That sham of a site, they're so far up Nintendo's @R$€; nowadays they've no credibility or impartiality left. You can knock at least 10% off any review they do. They've the highest score I've seen so far, they'll be top of Metacritic I'm sure.

I seen the NWR review earlier, it looks a very good game, not amazing. Something I've seen repeated in numerous reviews is "busy work".

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/starlink-battle-for-atlas/critic-reviews

There you go. Metacritic have now posted the scores. 79% from 20 reviews so far. There's always some mickey mouse site that gives a game 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

There's always people who get far too worked up over other people's reviews.

They are only numbers at the end of the day. I'm hoping the kids don't want this for Christmas, there's a draw full of skylanders reminding me why.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm a bit skeptical of the impartiality of a review when the site in question call themselves 'Nintendo Life'. :D

It seems to have done quite well. Wouldn't be for me though.

• Advertisement

Literally, just seen a brief ad on Virgin Media 1 for this game, promoting that Star Fox is exclusive on Switch, with a Smyths shout out at the end. I think that's the first Switch ad I've seen on "Irish" TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I love the look of this game and will probably pick it up eventfully. It's $60 digitally in the US, but I think Diablo 3 is my next full price purchase....

Mr E wrote: »
    I love the look of this game and will probably pick it up eventfully. It's $60 digitally in the US, but I think Diablo 3 is my next full price purchase....

Plus being Ubisoft you’ll probably get it much cheaper if you wait for another 6 months ... that’s my plan anyway :-)

I'm a bit torn on this one.
    The digital edition would be my initial go to edition, but it's hard to take advantage of discounts, while if there's one thing that Skylanders and the like have demonstrated is that this stuff gets discounted all the time, particularly the physical models, when they stop selling.
    Might get the core game digitally, pick up a few models along the way as they get cheaper.
    Certainly, it'll scratch an itch until Starfox Zero is re-released with a sane control method.

Might get the core game digitally, pick up a few models along the way as they get cheaper.

I would be tempted by this BUT I reckon you wont find the Arwing separately unless you try to pick it up second hand - and I really would like to have that.

Really like the look of the game and from the reviews, I will definitely be picking it up in some format.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It looks pretty interesting but I have way more pressing games that I'd rather look at.

I would agree with sligeach on nintendo-life though - they're fine for news, but I find their reviews to be a bit too positive, and they always seems to have a better opinion of something than the average.

I'm a bit torn on this one.
    The digital edition would be my initial go to edition, but it's hard to take advantage of discounts

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was released in August last year, and if my memory serves well they had a 33% off deal on the eshop as early as December. So there is some hope :-)

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was released in August last year, and if my memory serves well they had a 33% off deal on the eshop as early as December. So there is some hope :-)

I'll wait a while so, no rush anyway as I have a daft amount of stuff to play, not to mention Dark Souls all over again in a couple of days!

• Advertisement

Advertisement