Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink: Battle For Atlas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think I'll be picking that up on sale in the New Year. So much other stuff coming out right now and it looks like the kind of thing that will drop like a stone in price, especially the physical edition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My feelings exactly.
    Seems to be enough in the base game, with the Starfox character, that'll make it worth owning then even if the servers go dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I picked it up as I had some spare PayPal - I went with the US eshop version which worked out at about 55 or so I think for the Deluxe edition. It's fairly good so far. I'm using Fox and the Arwing, and I've done a bit of the first world, flew in space a bit, and gone to the second world. I've not played too much, but it seems like a better version of No Mans Sky. I liked the concept of NMS, not the boredom so much. I might get a few hours on the big screen over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Just picked it up in smiths for €20 not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

It's a good game. Glad I waited a while 2 months for a 75% price drop. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just failing miserably to destroy my first Outlaw outpost. Reminds me of Wing Commander a little, but without the mission structure. When you're a few guided missiles away from victory and your ship explodes, it's easy to see the appeal of spending 12 quid for one last shot (with a graviton blaster!) but I'll hold tight for the inevitable price drop in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It's a good game. Glad I waited a while 2 months for a 75% price drop. Crazy.

You were clearly right to wait, but I actually find this pricing strategy rather silly. Completely confuses people about what the true value of the games is, and once the expectation is set that prices will drop drastically within just 2 a 3 months very few people will buy the publishers games when they are released. By now we all know that regardless of the price, next time Ubi Soft publishes a game on the Switch we won’t buy it a launch as we expect a massive discount very quickly. And in turn once that expectation is there it forces them to keep going an consistently inflate release prices, as they know regardless of where the set the price everyone will be holding for a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Well the pricing was nuts anyway.

€70 for digital delux (everything)

€80 physical starter kit plus €90 for all the physical bits to unlock the full game.

Who is going to pay €170 for a 20 hour game?

Bob24 wrote: »
    You were clearly right to wait, but I actually find this pricing strategy rather silly. Completely confuses people about what the true value of the games is, and once the expectation is set that prices will drop drastically within just 2 a 3 months very few people will buy the publishers games when they are released. By now we all know that regardless of the price, next time Ubi Soft publishes a game on the Switch we won’t buy it a launch as we expect a massive discount very quickly. And in turn once that expectation is there it forces them to keep going an consistently inflate release prices, as they know regardless of where the set the price everyone will be holding for a discount.

I think this was more a case of public backlash against the "toys to life" idea. If this had released as a €60 game with no toys I think it would probably have maintained its price similarly to Mario+Rabbits. It's a great game. The toys idea was a bad idea.

I think this was more a case of public backlash against the "toys to life" idea. If this had released as a €60 game with no toys I think it would probably have maintained its price similarly to Mario+Rabbits. It's a great game. The toys idea was a bad idea.

Agree the toy thing made it worse, but I still think the price would have dropped even without it. Mario+Rabbits was actually also on fairly big sale early in its lifecycle (both digital and physical).

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    Well the pricing was nuts anyway.

€70 for digital delux (everything)

€80 physical starter kit plus €90 for all the physical bits to unlock the full game.

Who is going to pay €170 for a 20 hour game?

But didn’t they price high knowing very well they would cut that price fairly drastically just a few months after the release? I personally think they did.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Agree the toy thing made it worse, but I still think the prices would have dropped otherwise. Mario+Rabbits was actually also on fairly big sale early in its lifecycle (both digital and physical).

Yep it did go on sale by Christmas. But even now it's still €35 to buy in Smyths. €15 dearer than Starlink is and released 18 months apart.
    I guess we won't ever know for sure. I'm just glad they're both good games for a reasonable price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think the problem with toys to life is it's a lot of shelf space, you could fit a top 10 shelf for a console in a shop with a skylink shelf. Unless it was an absolute hit shops would probably want to get rid of it put up the old dependables like merchandise and standard games.

It's also weird to make a brand new franchise in this format, after all most toys are a well known franchise that kids like. Starfox was the only thing it has going and he's only in 1/3 of the versions available. The other characters aren't exactly memorable, especially the #Yolo douchebag. It was a strange gamble, pity though I do imagine I would have thought it was the best thing ever when I was 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Also the Toys to life trend had already died out long before this was released with some no longer supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

For me honestly if there was no plastic tatt I'd be debating whether or not to pay €50 quid for this. As it is I'm struggling to find the motivation to buy it at €20 because I'll feel like a gob****e bringing it up to the counter in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

keane2097 wrote: »
    For me honestly if there was no plastic tatt I'd be debating whether or not to pay €50 quid for this. As it is I'm struggling to find the motivation to buy it at €20 because I'll feel like a gob****e bringing it up to the counter in the shop.

Get it posted by Smyths. Just beware, the box will be the size of an actual Arwing.
    DuqLAxYX4AAnk06?format=jpg&name=small

keane2097 wrote:

My trick is have their webpage open on screen, thrust phone at staff and say wheres this for the young lad. Then grunt and make. Noncommittal sounds when they talk about it, like you've no clue what it is.

They're wise to that one. The guy on the till says "how is the little fella, is he becoming more like his father?" and then you reply "Do a barrel roll!" and before you can say "gut luck!" the pair of you start neeeeowm!ing around the shop shooting at the cuddly monkeys on aisle 5 screaming "you wanna piece of me? Aaaargh ! Help me Fox!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You guys have never known the shame of buying Senran Kagura Burst then...

keane2097 wrote: »

This. And also I have no interest is sticking the toys onto my controller or storing them at home (as far as I understand only the digital download works fully independently from them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Starlink is getting a big free content update tomorrow. New enemy types (requiring new strategies), new outposts to take down and a photo mode to take photos.

Starlink is now €12.50 in gamestop. Mental.

They'll be giving it away next week!

Or paying us to take it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The way it is falling, it may not even be at rock bottom. €20 seemed good, was good and that was less than a week ago. There are some games that have a huge production run, especially ones with peripherals, that take up valuable shop floor space, bomb on launch and shops say f*** this, we don't need this crap on our shelves and you end up with fire sales. This could end up at €5 on some site yet.

yeah, wouldn't surprise me. And that's great news for anyone with a warehouse to store the ships and guns in when they hit €1 each :D
    What does surprise me is that any shops bothered to buy these things in in volume given their experiences with fire-sales of Skylanders over the years.

(Reminds me - must take a look at the Arwing, see if you can dig the interface with the chip in it out without destroying the toy. Probably not since the wings need to be hooked up too, but you never know. Would be handy to have the bare essential circuitry on hand for frantic rescanning once a week instead of having to dedicate a spare room to toy spaceships.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Banjo wrote: »
    They're wise to that one. The guy on the till says "how is the little fella, is he becoming more like his father?" and then you reply "Do a barrel roll!" and before you can say "gut luck!" the pair of you start neeeeowm!ing around the shop shooting at the cuddly monkeys on aisle 5 screaming "you wanna piece of me? Aaaargh ! Help me Fox!"

:D

By the way - if you go to Club.Ubisoft.com and log in, you can get a Welcome to Starlink pack for free - it contains an Uncommon (green) Deflection mod for your ship and some Electrum. There are 3 other packs for 30 Ubi points each that contain 4 Rare (the blue ones) mods for your ships and weapons, and the Warden pack for 60 that contains 5 rare Warden mods.

Starlink is now €12.50 in gamestop. Mental.

Madness at this stage. I can’t believe they could overshoot the stocks that much.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Starlink is getting a big free content update tomorrow. New enemy types (requiring new strategies), new outposts to take down and a photo mode to take photos.

Downloading this now...

Advertisement