Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle shooting on private land

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Luckysasha wrote: »
    At last an honest man

Used to be great crack trying to see how far you could put a cci standard in .22 on an a3 sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I presume that you are writing this post using the prison library computer facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Is "game" a target?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

slipperyox wrote: »
    Is "game" a target?

Its 'the' target, but its hunting so thats ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Used to be great crack trying to see how far you could put a cci standard in .22 on an a3 sheet.

A euro coin at 120 yards !!!! Even heard rumors of lads placing shotgun shells between 2 concrete blocks and trying to shoot the primer to make the shell go off !!! Could be just a rumour though

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Its 'the' target, but its hunting so thats ok....

Just get a few dead bunnies and prop them up at set distances then. Problem solved !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What would have been a good shot distance wise back in the day?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

A euro coin at 120 yards !!!! Even heard rumors of lads placing shotgun shells between 2 concrete blocks and trying to shoot the primer to make the shell go off !!! Could be just a rumour though

I'm reliably informed that a local guy around where I live (now deceased) used to be able to hit a matchbox from 100 yards with a .22, standing shot no sights of course.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

What would have been a good shot distance wise back in the day?

This was only 8 years ago. Anywhere after 350 yards .Just a bit of crack seeing how far you could stretch out the .22. Missed alot more than hit

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

I'm reliably informed that a local guy around where I live (now deceased) used to be able to hit a matchbox from 100 yards with a .22, standing shot no sights of course.

Sounds like the lad that lives near all shooters that could kill a rabbit at 120yards with a 7 1/2 in single barrel Baikal 🤦*♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

So you can shoot clays on your own land no bother? No applications or permission needed, or is it best practice to inform the gards?

I find it ridiculous that you can't shoot at targets on your own land, a setting which is far more safe and predictable than stalking a deer or other game.

So you can shoot clays on your own land no bother? No applications or permission needed, or is it best practice to inform the gards?

I find it ridiculous that you can't shoot at targets on your own land, a setting which is far more safe and predictable than stalking a deer or other game.

Shoot away lad. As long as your safe and sensible about it then you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thing is, lead shot tends to fall out of the sky at around 300m, but even a .22LR will happily go a mile if let off at the suitable angle...in fact, boxes used to be printed with the warning 'Dangerous at ONE mile!'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Shoot away lad. As long as your safe and sensible about it then you will be grand.

Just to be clear, you can shoot clays to your hearts content with a shotgun on your own land as long as you are safe and sensible.

What you are not allowed to do is to prop clays up against a backstop and shoot at them with your rifle.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you can shoot clays to your hearts content with a shotgun on your own land as long as you are safe and sensible.

What you are not allowed to do is to prop clays up against a backstop and shoot at them with your rifle.

Wink wink !!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Luckysasha wrote:

Heard a similar rumour about guys using 1oz solid shots to break paving slabs at 30 yards.
    And another about a guy who would shoot holes in metal fenceposts with his .22 magnum rifle.

Advertisement