Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware when changing Electricity Providers

Options
  • 26-09-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently moved from SSE to Bordgais for my business electricity, and from Electric Ireland to Bordgais for my residential electricity.

I moved from Electric Ireland last month, I noticed 2 payments from my bank account to them, first one was at the normal billing date, and then a second one nearly 2 weeks later. I assumed that the 2nd one was for difference between the guesstimate bill and the actual reading, and just phoned them to confirm; the girl I spoke to told me that the bill was X for electricity used between the previous bill and the time of the changeover and 50 Euro for breaking my contract... I told her that my contract had ended the month previous and there shouldn't be any charge, she checked it out and said that I was right and that the 50 would be refunded to my bank account.

I posted what happened with SSE (500 Eurotermination fee) on this forum earlier but it was moved here as mod deemed it to be of no relevance to consumers.

It seems to me that the electric companies are trying to pull a fast one, lump on a breach of contract termination fee, if the customer complains give it back to them, if they don't.. well it's free money; so watch your bank accounts for the scheme they're trying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was moved because it was a B2B account. Is this still on your business account?

There are different rules for consumer supply so if this is business it is of little relevance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Firblog

L1011 wrote: »
    It was moved because it was a B2B account. Is this still on your business account?

There are different rules for consumer supply so if this is business it is of little relevance

Read the post I've clearly stated what account it's related to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

They made an error. When pointed out, they corrected it.

Firblog wrote: »
    Read the post I've clearly stated what account it's related to.

OK. So it still isn't a consumer issue and hence has no place here, and should be posted where the other thread was moved to. I'd advise you just post in that existing thread.

This forum is for consumer issues only, you are not a consumer in this transaction and consumer rights and protections do not apply.

Reopened after clarification by PM, but the whole reference to the business account was confusing and honestly pointless. Your previous business issues had no relevance to consumers

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Reopened after clarification by PM, but the whole reference to the business account was confusing and honestly pointless. Your previous business issues had no relevance to consumers

The reason I referenced my previous posting was to highlight that overcharging appears to be a fairly common occurrence... It has happened to me the last 2 times I've moved providers, and wanted to highlight the issue; I mean i missed the 50 euro penalty from electric Ireland and only found out about it because I bothered to phone up to confirm that final bill was due to diff between estimated bills and actual reading.

I honestly believe that the over charging by 2 different companies using the same false breach of contract claim is a bit more than a coincidence

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

What were pms about as very difficult to follow this?

Jimmy. wrote: »
    What were pms about as very difficult to follow this?

Mod believed my op was unclear and did not relate to a consumer issue.

Advertisement