Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A couple of cans on the train?

• 26-09-2018 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭

I haven't been on a train in Ireland in about 20 years. Back in the day I used to bring a couple of cans on for the trip. I'm heading to Dublin next week and was wondering is this still acceptable or will I get in trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I haven't been on a train in Ireland in about 20 years. Back in the day I used to bring a couple of cans on for the trip. I'm heading to Dublin next week and was wondering is this still acceptable or will I get in trouble?

Well you can buy drink on the train so I doubt there is an issue with you bringing your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, nothing like a few cans on the train.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Well you can buy drink on the train so I doubt there is an issue with you bringing your own

:rolleyes

You're not allowed bring cans on the train and if caught you will be told to put them away.

If you're subtle about it, you'll be fine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

:Rolleyes

You're not allowed bring cans on the train and if caught you will be told to put them away.

That a new thing?

Been a on a few trips over the years with tables full of cans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

:Rolleyes

Cop yourself on there pal. Bringing six cans of cheap lager is par for the course on any train journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Back to your youth OP, midlife crisis?

Cop yourself on there pal. Bringing six cans of cheap lager is par for the course on any train journey.

No you cop yourself on.

The OP was asking for fact not the law of the land in Paddy Lostys Fantasy Fairyland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yeah, I'd always have a few when going from Connolly to Tara St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

No you cop yourself on.

The OP was asking for fact not the law of the land in Paddy Lostys Fantasy Fairyland.

From I.E's alcohol policy:

The consumption and carriage of alcohol is not permitted on the following services -

13:15hrs Dublin to Waterford service (Friday)
    15:10hrs Dublin to Waterford service (Friday)
    12:40hrs Waterford to Dublin service (Sunday)
    13:00hrs Galway to Dublin service (Sunday)
    15:10hrs Waterford to Dublin service (Sunday)
    18:05hrs Waterford to Dublin service (Sunday)

So it sounds like you're the one talking out of your arse.

From I.E's alcohol policy:

So it sounds like you're the one talking out of your arse.

How am I talking out of my arse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

How am I talking out of my arse?

Because you are allowed to drink on the train? Be rare to find a train after 3pm Fri-Sun without a few people drinking on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

:rolleyes

Plus in the South West we don't have the same party town problems as Galway and Kilkenny.
    Only on match specials is it a problem. Sure I often demolish a six pack between Mallow and Cork on the 06:55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Depends on what we're talking about here - Dutch gold or Guinness ?

Most trains yes you can drink on them. I never said you couldn't. However you can only consume alcohol you have bought on board. As I said, if you're subtle about it you'll be absolutely fine and no-one will bat an eyelid.

I don't know why people are getting their knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Most trains yes you can drink on them. I never said you couldn't. However you can only consume alcohol you have bought on board. As I said, if you're subtle about it you'll be absolutely fine and no-one will bat an eyelid.

Source? Never once has the inspector confiscated my Finkbrau, and I'm sure Carriage catering do not sell that tasty yet economically accessible beverage.

Ah, to glorify in a cúpla tinnies of dutchie. I'm all misty-eyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Totally incorrect. There is no rule in the Conditions of Carriage or bye-law that supports this.

The only restriction other than those already mentioned is that you can not be in a state of intoxication on any train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I often drink cans on the train when travelling to Dublin for gigs and never had a problem, even when ticket wardens came along. As long as your not being disorderly there shouldn't be a problem. Nothing better to pass the long ride from clare to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Many a time I’ve done some hard training out on the Old Rail trail in the midlands and have a few cans on the train back (undoing all the good work!)

Never a problem with the staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Many a time I’ve done some hard training out on the Royal Canal or Old Rail trail and have a few cans on the train back (undoing all the good work!)

Never a problem with the staff

What staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

For what it's worth there IS a rule on the Belfast train you can only drink what's bought on board - same on many other services

Again, this is like the "parties are banned" rule we have on my college campus accommodation, it's not always enforced so much as it's there as an option if you are taking the mick so they can say "well you shoud''t be doing this anyway".

People having a quiet drink who are being civil and not bothering other people are not gonna get hassled.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Give the driver one, he can’t take a wrong turn anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

On all services (apart from the hen/stag party specials mentioned) you'll be fine.

Just don't be the 'full time mad bastard' after a few.

Advertisement