Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New commute

Options
  • 26-09-2018 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So just changing my job from Clontarf to Tallaght, which will mean a round trip of 34km on the bike. Seems a lot easier timewise and pocketwise to cycle. From my usual cycles I'd probably do it in 35-40 mins or so so I'll round it to an hour so I don't burn out.

This will be the furthest cycle commute I'll have ever done. Any tips or advice? Probably be best off getting a winter bike rather than ride the good carbon frame each day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye, get a winter bike, slight downhill and tailwind on the way home, slight up hill and headwind on the way in, in the normal prevailing winds !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That's actually a perfect length of commute for me. Just the length to be manageable and not too tiring, while likely much quicker, predictable or more comfortable than bus / car / luas dart combo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Inquitus wrote: »
    ... and tailwind on the way in, slight up hill and headwind on the way home in the normal prevailing winds !
    The opposite methinks - if he's going from Clontarf to Tallaght he'll generally have a headwind on the way in and a tailwind home (prevailing south westerly).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The opposite methinks - if he's going from Clontarf to Tallaght he'll generally have a headwind on the way in and a tailwind home (prevailing south westerly).

Correct I read it the wrong way round!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Usual advice applies - mudguards, lights, etc.
    Does the new office have much by way of cyclist facilities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

Usual advice applies - mudguards, lights, etc.
    Does the new office have much by way of cyclist facilities?

That's something I need to check. The offices looked modern enough, so I have some hope there's a shower. If at all possible I won't be locking my current bike outside, perhaps my future winter bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Do many people do this commute? I'm in Ballymount and would be coming from Donnycarney. I used to cycle into town but I've always driven out here.

@ what route are you planning on taking?

Clontarf - North Strand - Quays - Coombe - Dolphins Barn - up the Greenhills Road past cycle superstore and then I'm there more or less there.

17.4km - 1 hour on Google Maps but having cycled the route similarly before it'll take about 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

saganfan wrote: »
    That's something I need to check. The offices looked modern enough, so I have some hope there's a shower. If at all possible I won't be locking my current bike outside, perhaps my future winter bike though.
    Security is a big thing/ headache for me. Especially if you start looking at dynamo hubs, lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have been keeping the bike in an empty room in our office building, so far so good until it gets used/I'm told to move it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't have a bike worth going out of your way to nick but there is a covered bike stand where I work, I have 3 U locks and leave 2 of them on the rail, bring the third home in case I had to lock it up somewhere on the way home. if you have a ~1000 euro bike I'd be looking for something more secure.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yeah, current bike is a Canyon Ultimate so not really amenable to leaving that outside for anything over 20 minutes! As I said, looks like a modern office, so hopefully I'll be allowed lock a bike inside. Otherwise I'll be getting a cheaper winter roadbike quick sharp.

Always a good excuse to get a new bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

saganfan wrote: »
    Yeah, current bike is a Canyon Ultimate so not really amenable to leaving that outside for anything over 20 minutes! As I said, looks like a modern office, so hopefully I'll be allowed lock a bike inside. Otherwise I'll be getting a cheaper winter roadbike quick sharp.

Always a good excuse to get a new bike!
    Regardless of the security facilities at the new office, you'd be better getting a commuting hack anyway. When the weather is crap you might feel under pressure trying to maintain/clean your 'good' bike.. For a flat commute like that a low maintenance single speed with mudguards and puncture resistant tyres would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Best of luck in New job ,next spring, and summer you can do some detours, Sally Gap or Blesso and the lakes before you head back Northside , so many positives.

Thanks Secman, and yes, around that area I would usually go for my weekend cycles. Bohernabreena onto the military road, Ballinascorney into blessington or shankill road all my regular haunts and not far off. Also looking forward to the commute maintaining a bit of fitness over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Schwalbe Marathon plus tires and two sets of lights

Advertisement