Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Loaded Survey for the NCCA

• 26-09-2018 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

So just caught sight of this survey for the NAPD
    Edit: I'm not sure if it was given to the NAPD or if it forms part of the NAPD's personal submission
    here

It seems the outcome has been decided. The questions tell you what's going to happen.

e.g.
    Q4. Do you think the Leaving Cert adequately prepares a person for working life?
    Yes
    No

Like, is the leaving certificate meant to prepare a person for working life?
    Q7 If the Leaving Cert was reformed to allow continuous assessment over the two-year cycle, do you support each student's teacher in each particular subject marking those assessments?

Hmmm that sounds vaguely familiar doesn't it:pac:

Dunno if that link is unique to one person, but it probably remembers your IP address somehow so you probably can't do it twice :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Sweet jesus..more ineptitude on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

padohaodha wrote: »
    Sweet jesus..more ineptitude on the way.

What we really need is 1000hrs of Wellbeing and plenty of workshops.

I've square root of 2 to finish off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Smashing idea. They have made an utter balls of the JC, so why not spread it to the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Smashing idea. They have made an utter balls of the JC, so why not spread it to the LC.

Well the problem is the new jc will not prepare students for the current lc, so as night follows day now they must change the lc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

i completed that survey and think there additional comments at the end or else I tweeted them afterwards and stated I thought the questions were very leading and obviously wanted one outcome..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The NAPD must have no shame. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with that survey. "And have you stopped beating your wife?" springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

What we really need is 1000hrs of Wellbeing and plenty of workshops.

I've square root of 2 to finish off.

And don't forget the post-its :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

A trip to the comp room with the promise of a free class if your students fill out the survey a certain way should skew the results lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Wow. From an educational research perspective, that is a very poorly written bunch of survey questions.

Which will bias results, which will render the whole exercise methodologically unsound, which will result in poor decisions being made.

Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Where’s that guy who pointed out that we were discussing the junior cert/cycle when I criticised the government’s plans to make class teachers responsible for the future of our students?
    I’ll accept that apology now.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Wow. From an educational research perspective, that is a very poorly written bunch of survey questions.

Which will bias results, which will render the whole exercise methodologically unsound, which will result in poor decisions being made.

Unreal.

Here's what appears to be the reality on research integrity within the NCCA.
    "The current and former staff members have alleged that the current culture in the organisation is toxic and that this has had a negative impact on what is being taught in schools. Those working in the NCCA do not feel empowered and find it difficult to complete the tasks that have been assigned to them. They have alleged that there is a skills mismatch which has come about as a result of management failures. The end result is that staff do not feel confident in standing over the work that the NCCA does."
    Full article on alleged systemic bullying within the NCCA here https://www.fiannafail.ie/investigation-needed-into-bullying-complaints-at-ncca-byrne/

Sounds like they are being instructed to get the surveys out.... get the desired result.... shut up about good international practice and proper research.. or else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I thought it was NAPD rather than NCCA?

I thought it was NAPD rather than NCCA?

Survey must have been given at napd conference.

Sorry think I got my wires crossed. I think it's a submission by the napd to the NCCA ... must find out who created the survey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Hmm, I reckon it needs more mind maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,639 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Somebody was watching this when creating it, perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

RealJohn wrote: »
    Where’s that guy who pointed out that we were discussing the junior cert/cycle when I criticised the government’s plans to make class teachers responsible for the future of our students?
    I’ll accept that apology now.

Here I am, RJ.
    Somewhat puzzled at the suggestion that there was something wrong with pointing out, in a discussion about the Junior Cycle, that we were talking about the Junior Cycle.
    I am heartened to know that, in the hypothetical scenario in which I would offer you an apology for something, you will accept it. I agree to the same if the reverse ever happens.

Here I am, RJ.
    Somewhat puzzled at the suggestion that there was something wrong with pointing out, in a discussion about the Junior Cycle, that we were talking about the Junior Cycle.

I am heartened to know that, in the hypothetical scenario in which I would offer you an apology for something, you will accept it. I agree to the same if the reverse ever happens.

:pac: I must learn that one that off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I think you know (now) exactly what was wrong but if you’d like to stick to your guns and claim that you thought the integrity of the discussion was at stake and not that you naïvely believed that this nonsense wasn’t just rolled out at junior cycle level entirely so that it could be declared a success (regardless of the reality) and applied to the leaving cert, that’s your business.

And we wonder why the government thinks they can get away with undermining teachers at every turn, as though many teachers will lap up whatever spin they’re told to, without any fear they might think for themselves.
    That’s a non-sequitor, by the way, and not aimed at anyone in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

So just caught sight of this survey for the NAPD
    Edit: I'm not sure if it was given to the NAPD or if it forms part of the NAPD's personal submission
    here

It seems the outcome has been decided. The questions tell you what's going to happen.

e.g.

Like, is the leaving certificate meant to prepare a person for working life?

Hmmm that sounds vaguely familiar doesn't it:pac:

Dunno if that link is unique to one person, but it probably remembers your IP address somehow so you probably can't do it twice :pac:

Private mode 😜

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just messed with their bot heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Just messed with their bot heads.

They’re bots of Marlborough Street anyway.

Advertisement