Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack or cut in carbon - should I worry

Options
  • 26-09-2018 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭

Cleaning the bike this evening and saw this on the rear, it's where the rear bolt goes for the rear brake caliper (disc brakes bike).

Should I get this looked at or what do you think - carbon bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

To me, the caliper bolt has been overtightened, and the mounting point was squeezed to the point of failure... not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have not tightened it since I got it but I suspect if it was over tight then with use the crack occurred and got worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Doesn't look good alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Interesting that what looks like the paint layer seems sliced rather than just cracked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Interesting that what looks like the paint layer seems sliced rather than just cracked?

I have a doubt about it too, but considering the crack underneath, it looks more "exploded" than sliced ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

But the red is on the inside of the crack looking like it was there before it was painted.

Have 2 year warranty on the frame that was up last week - I have mailed the company with the pics just to see what they think.
    One thing is I have the bike specified under my house insurance for all risks at its cost price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's a normal mounting of the brake assembly? I.e. under braking, is the force pushing into or pulling away from the frame?

That's a normal mounting of the brake assembly? I.e. under braking, is the force pushing into or pulling away from the frame?

Here is a pic from online - shows where the brake is bolted on.

Looks like it'd be pulling away from the frame so, i.e. splitting the crack more open under braking?

• Advertisement

I wonder should I just go through the home insurance with zurich and see how that works out - I wonder what do they need to mark a bike as a write off?

Check your insurance policy. Bikes may specifically only be insured for theft from the house. The insurance company would probably - understandably - argue the damage happened outside the house. Are you specifically paying extra for the bike?

Check your insurance policy. Bikes may specifically only be insured for theft from the house. The insurance company would probably - understandably - argue the damage happened outside the house. Are you specifically paying extra for the bike?

Yes all risks for €200 extra a year on the policy, the value of the bike is specified on the policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

jamesd wrote: »
    Yes all risks for €200 extra a year on the policy, the value of the bike is specified on the policy.

What is rrp of frame, that is all will be covered I would think. Rest of bike isn't damaged I take it?

What is excess? What effect will it have on your insurance next year and for next few years?

Eyes wide open making that claim

ford2600 wrote: »
    What is rrp of frame, that is all will be covered I would think. Rest of bike isn't damaged I take it?

What is excess? What effect will it have on your insurance next year and for next few years?

Eyes wide open making that claim

I think the frame on its own is €2500, I'll have to check the policy and see now about excess and how much roughly the policy will rise on me.

Rest of bike is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

jamesd wrote: »
    Have 2 year warranty on the frame that was up last week - I have mailed the company with the pics just to see what they think.

2 years for a high value item like that is crap. They might honour it.

Post on consumer forum but you'd have an argument under Sale of Goods Act that it was not fit for purpose.

If it was joint between tubes they could argue you missued/abused bike, but that damage (if it is damage) could only be as a result of a design and/or manufacturing defect.

Try the carrot first before telling them about the stick

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are rear discs normally mounted like that?

Are rear discs normally mounted like that?

Yes that's the norm on them all.

Was chatting a club mate just now that crashed in a sportive last year and broke the rear stays on his bike, claimed off insurance as he had it specified too and got a full new bike.
    His bike was fully broke at the stays though where mine if not through.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

It doesn't look that bad or look like it's a risk of failing to me, still plenty of material under the bolt head. At worst , it's a repair for peace of mind.

• Advertisement

coastwatch wrote: »
    It doesn't look that bad or look like it's a risk of failing to me, still plenty of material under the bolt head. At worst , it's a repair for peace of mind.

Will see what canyon say, Plus keep an eye on it now and compare to the photos.

Advertisement