Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack in washing machine drum after 4 years

Options
  • 26-09-2018 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So my dads washing machine has a big crack in the drum and needs to buy a new one. Its out of warranty but surely after only 4 years and a crack in drum it obviously wasnt fit for purpose?

I thought he might have some comeback even if warranty has expired? Anyone any info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say the first thing any manufacturer will say is "you must have washed something in it that wasn't meant to be washed in a machine".

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

I was thinking that alright, I know they havent but proving it would be a problem.

I just thought I would post it up before he splashes out on a new one. I couldnt understand if broke down after 4 years but a crack in drum doesnt sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

drums do crack sometimes, known to happen. Btw is the drum plastic? or metal?
    repair man told me the plastic drums can crack after one year of use!
    but getting back to yours, yes it happens.

Its metal, i dont know how to upload picture

doesn't matter about pic. btw can you see the crack or how you know there's a crack?

also you seem to be mixing up warranty and guarantee.

guarantees last for 2 years after purchase-unless you paid extra for an "extended guarantee" of few more years after that at time of purchase.
    there's usually a warranty on the parts for sometimes 7 years. usually means they provide the parts and you pay for their man to fix it. This 7 year thingy has been around for several years-I'd say easily longer than 4 years ago. But maybe not set in stone for all brands-better to phone manufacturer and find out the warranty period. Best way to find this out-is phone the shop you bought it in, they should easily give you relevant manufacturer phone number.

looks like you will have to go rooting around to find the receipt cos manufacturers will get anal about it to prove you bought it at exact date.
    Then again as long as you have the approx date-if you used bank card, you should be able to find the transaction on your bank statement etc and then you'll have date etc.

• Advertisement

Ok i uploaded it

https://imgur.com/a/WryEZrc

ouch.

tbh Ive no idea what they'd do. best thing is to find out from phoning them.
    then again, how long are you prepared to wait til they fix it compared to buying a new machine etc.
    I can't help anymore, unless others will give you answers tomorrow on here.

Thanks for your input mate

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

i'm nearly sure you have a five year parts warranty on household appliances

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are warranties/guaranties, and there is your Consumer rights. They are two very different things.

Under consumer law, you are entitled to expect a product to last a reasonable lifetime, assuming no excessive or use or damage on your part. And you deal with the retailer to exercise your consumer rights.

So is 4 years reasonable for a washing machine? IMO, it’s starting to get into a grey area. Depending on the household, washing machines can be subject to daily/heavy usage or hard water. Understandably, these all have an impact on the machine. If you believe the problem lies with the machine, then you can contact the retailer, with proof of purchase.

A warranty/guarantee is additional to your consumer rights and is offered by the manufacturer. They might charge you to fix the machine under warranty/guarantee. But give that the machine is 4 years old, it may be the best way to go.

• Advertisement

I dont understand you want me to go to the retailer or manufacturer? Surely the retailer isnt the one that has to cough up as all they did was sell the product? Its obviously a fault on manufactuer.

Also this is a crack in a metal drum. I dont think my parents were washing bricks in it lol. In fairness they had 7 kids and there last washing machine must have lasted well over 10years. The last 4 years it would have been minimal washing not excessive anyway were all grown up and out of home.

By the sounds of it, its a rocky path prob more of a headache than anything else and take ages for problem to be solved so might just let him go on and buy his new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

You go to the retailer for your consumer rights to repair, replace or refund for your damaged item.

However this is could end with paying for a repair arranged by the retailer.

We don't have specific rights with manufacturers.

If thats the case and we have to pay for repair ourselves anyway is it not better we arrange repair ourselves? It seems pointless otherwise.

Like if i have to repair crack on my phone it cost maybe 200% more to go with the manufacturer/retsiler rather than a guy in a phone shop. Granted the cracked screen was because of my own fault but this is something that is a product failure I feel. If you have to pay the manufacturer to send someone out you may as well just buy a brand new one which doesnt make much sense?

Anyway I found out a bit more and my dad bought it locally in his town off a young guy who is in business only a few years and we both know, so not going to escalate it as dad already spoke to him and he said nothing he can do. Will let it lie at that. Not worth starting any bad grudges over and hes set on buying a new one anyway. Thanks for input guys

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

brendan86 wrote: »
    If thats the case and we have to pay for repair ourselves anyway is it not better we arrange repair ourselves? It seems pointless otherwise.
    Your consumer rights mean a repair, replace or a refund, at no cost to you.

You have no contract with the manufacturer, so they are under no obligation to do any repairs for free, even if you only bought the thing yesterday. The consumer should always deal with the retailer.

Any road, I do understand why your Dad has chosen to let it slide. We are very poor at complaining in this country, everyone takes it too personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

seamus wrote: »
    Your consumer rights mean a repair, replace or a refund, at no cost to you. .

IF it is down to a manufacturing fault and within a reasonable time. This is probably both really but it is important that people realise it isn't some blanket 6 year coverage for everything.

Advertisement