Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot format usb drive (write protected).

Options
  • 27-09-2018 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have searched here for previous threads etc. Basically have a usb stick that initially said it needed to be formatted. Tried format it and it couldn’t format successfully (strange thing was i remember seeing contents on it). Tried the HDD low level format program which formatted it... but when I plug it in into computer after this it’s saying it needs to be formatted. When I try this it’s saying it’s read only / write protected (never had read only issues until after running the program). I’ve tried change this in read only in cmd attributes etc. It says it did it successfully but when I check list attributes afterwards it’s still showing as read_only yes.

I tried the Regedit (had to add a registry entry for this) but again no joy, tried easeus partition tool but again it can’t get past the write protection (which only seemed to happen after the HDD low level format program). I’ve also tried malvastyle usb disc repair but again this write protection / read only thing is stopping it.

After the low level format I plugged it out and in and the computer did say installing driver etc and then drivers successfully installed etc. so it’s recognising the actual usb in some sort of context it seems. It’s also showing it listed in the various programs used to try format / fix it.

Anyone have any last ditch ideas? Not an expensive usb stick so not a big deal if it’s goosed but I’m more just curious to try see can I get it sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you are curious about it then I suggest using a different operating system and see how that recognises it.
    Maybe a Live OS such as a Linux distro would give a different perspective on things.

Advertisement