Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring large amount of money

Options
  • 27-09-2018 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

My Mam is giving us a gift for the purchase of our hosue, what’s the best way for her to transfer it to me? It exceeds the daily limit for online bank transfer.
    The mortgage company we are with won’t proceed with our application until we have proof that the money has been transferred to our account so we won’t want to have to wait until next week for that to happen.
    Can my Mam go into her branch (ptsb) and do it there?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yes, she can. If you guys are with another bank she'll need your IBAN and BIC. Obviously she'll need to bring photo ID to do the transfer also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Go into the bank (hers) and do an interbank transfer of full amount in person. Still takes 3-5 working days to clear.

Alternative is to take the money out in cash, and lodge it in cash to the other bank. That's the fastest.

Depends on how much it is, might need to give the bank notice if it is more than their daily cash limit.

Make sure it goes into a joint account to minimise usage of your lifetime CAT exemption.

Other options are to transfer the money over two days (24h between transactions) or get a bank draft which costs a few euro but you will also be charged for doing a transfer in the bank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pwurple wrote: »
    Go into the bank (hers) and do an interbank transfer of full amount in person. Still takes 3-5 working days to clear.

Most banks will do do a same day transfer for an extra few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Can your mum give cheque from her account or bank draft from the bank. Lodge cheque/bank draft. Will still take 3-5 working days but if done before 4 pm should show up on your account today.

Not sure about Nox001 comment above. We dont even know the amount. Can gift up to 3000k per year to son and daughter in law or anyone tax free. €300000 is life timethreshold to son/daugher 16250 to son/daugher in law...joint bank accounts have nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Can your mum give cheque from her account or bank draft from the bank. Lodge cheque/bank draft. Will still take 3-5 working days but if done before 4 pm should show up on your account today.

Not sure about Nox001 comment above. We dont even know the amount. Can gift up to 3000k per year to son and daughter in law or anyone tax free. €300000 is life timethreshold to son/daugher 16250 to son/daugher in law...joint bank accounts have nothing to do with it.

Might be very dangerous to put into a joint account as Revenue could deem half of it is for the daughter in law. Better to put into a sole account and utilise your tax free threshold of 300k or risk paying 33% on anything over €3k to your wife / gf.

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Might be very dangerous to put into a joint account as Revenue could deem half of it is for the daughter in law. Better to put into a sole account and utilise your tax free threshold of 300k or risk paying 33% on anything over €3k to your wife / gf.

You are correct, I was forgetting that aspect. 6k in the joint account and the rest in a sole account in that case. Maximises the tax reliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

If she gets in to PTSB and gets a Swift transfer done before 1 pm it could arrive in your account by close of business that day. That worked for us when transferring to our solicitor’s bank AIB).

It costs 50c to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shelly24

Sarn wrote: »
    If she gets in to PTSB and gets a Swift transfer done before 1 pm it could arrive in your account by close of business that day. That worked for us when transferring to our solicitor’s bank AIB).

It costs 50c to do.

That’s sounds great, she’s in work until 3.30 though :-(
    I’ll have to wait until Monday for the money to be in my account so.
    Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shelly24

You are correct, I was forgetting that aspect. 6k in the joint account and the rest in a sole account in that case. Maximises the tax reliefs.

The money is going into my account not a joint one. I never even thought of tax implications, I assume I’m ok with her giving me a one off gift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

shelly24 wrote: »
    The money is going into my account not a joint one. I never even thought of tax implications, I assume I’m ok with her giving me a one off gift?

Anyone can give you and your partner 3k each a year tax free. Anything above that would come off the lifetime threshold which I stated the amounts in my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Just to point out, its probable that a large sum will be flagged to the FIU of the Gardai but that depends on the bank teller.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Just to point out, its probable that a large sum will be flagged to the FIU of the Gardai but that depends on the bank teller.

All lodgements over a certain value are flagged anyway. I wouldn’t worry about it in this situation as the source of the funds can be verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

shelly24 wrote: »
    The mortgage company we are with won’t proceed with our application until we have proof that the money has been transferred to our account

A little bit aside to your question, but do you mean that they won't progress to giving you an approval in principal without all of the funds being to hand?

Advertisement