Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will it fit? (Router bits)

Options
  • 27-09-2018 7:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a makita router which is labelled as having a 6mm collet. I want to pair the router with these bits, which are listed as 1/4 inch. Do you know if I need an adapter as 6m is not quite a 1/4 inch, shy of just .02 of an inch. I am not sure if this will fit.

There's a second hand router listed on Amazon which is marked as "very good", as it's second hand, it doesn't come with a warranty. It's €166 second hand or about €200 new. Is the second hand router a good offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Yes 1/4 is ok in 6mm router you would be better of buying a 1/2 inch router and then you can use both size of cutter. 1/4 is very limited on what it can do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yes 1/4 is ok in 6mm router you would be better of buying a 1/2 inch router and then you can use both size of cutter. 1/4 is very limited on what it can do

Sorry Peter, 6 mm in not 1/4 inch, Router bits are made in 6 mm but are unusual.. The OP should stick to the industry standard of 1/4 " 200 euro for a secondhand Makita seems steep to me - I would check prices on Amazon. I love Makita, their routers always to run smoothly and they have a great range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thanks for the replies :). I searched for a 1/2 inch router, but there doesn't seem to be too many products, certainly not as diverse as the Makita. The Makita 1/2 inch routers are very expensive.

I looked at the specs again and the chuck capacity is 6mm 8mm 1/4" and 3/8", so i will just get a separate 1/4" collet just to be sure.

https://www.makita.de/fileadmin/_migrated/content_uploads/RT0700C-B.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I have that router and would strongly recommend you get the plunging base separately. I see both on Amazon UK at around 170 stg.If you just get the laminate trimmer version ,vertical adjustment is difficult.
    As regard box sets I would resist the temptation - they are made in the 'Pacific Rim' and the quality is poor. If you use a reliable company like www.wealdentool.com the quality is great and the bits last a lifetime.
    Just buy what you need for any specific job.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

1/2 Routers are heavier and more cumbersome than a smaller 1/4 inch though. I always like having my Makita 3620 on hand for small works/by hand etc. Bigger routers spend more time in the table usually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement