Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline won't pay compensation for delayed flight

Options
  • 27-09-2018 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I was flying Miami to Lisbon with Tap Portugal. Once on the plane, about to depart, there was a sudden storm so the plane stayed grounded for a few hours, as did many other planes.

Subsequently, the airline informed us that because the staff were reaching their maximum allowable working hours, they would have to be relieved. Since the airline had no other staff to take over, our flight was to be delayed until the next morning.

Next morning, we checked into the airport and were informed that due to a technical issue, the flight was to be delayed a further 8 hours, and we eventualy took off over 24 hours delayed.

Since then, Ive been in regular contact with the airline, and they refuse compensation, saying the delay is due to weather.

While I accept that the initial delay was due to weather, surely the subsequent short staffing, and more importantly, the later technical issue are entirely within the airline's responsibility and I would be entitled for compensation for the delay they caused?

I've checked, and just about every other flight left Miami once the storm cleared, including many flights to Europe. Ours was the only one to suffer so long a delay.

Comments

Advertisement