Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating coming on in its own

• 27-09-2018 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Morning all, hope someone might be able to advise me on this and hope I can explain properly.

Have had the hive installed for about two years now, it has worked perfectly for turning on and off heating manually and on a schedule.

Over the summer the heating was turned off but I noticed the boiler firing up on its own frequently despite it saying in the hive app that everything was turned off (I think it was heating water without being instructed to do so) .

Got the annual boiler service a few weeks ago and the problem seemed to stop. Last week I turned on the heating for two hours a couple of evenings (just on a boost) and actually ended the boost early so its definitely turned off. The past three mornings i have noticed the heating has turned its self on again, it comes on very early, possibly around 4/5 am. I wake up and hear it clicking on, check the hive app and it says heating is off but the rads are hot.

Now, back when we bought the house I know the man who lived here had his timer set for it to come on like that early in the morning, we never were able to change it(kind of due to lack of effort trying to work it out admittedly) so just operated the heating using the switch and the panel. Once the hive was installed the problem seemed resolved and we just used our phones but it seems to have reverted back to this old schedule and I can't understand why/how, the old panel is removed if course in favour of the hive.

How is this happening and how can I fix it or who do I call to fix it. Or is the heating haunted by the old man? :-) all advice appreciated!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

First thing to do is speak with Hive (01-6110189) and ask them to check whats going on with the Hive receiver during these periods, to confirm the boiler isn't being called on by Hive.

The visual check you can do, is look at the Hive receiver when this occurs, and see if the green light is on (not the power light, but the one just above the heating button on the receiver)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

DGOBS wrote: »
    First thing to do is speak with Hive (01-6110189) and ask them to check whats going on with the Hive receiver during these periods, to confirm the boiler isn't being called on by Hive.

The visual check you can do, is look at the Hive receiver when this occurs, and see if the green light is on (not the power light, but the one just above the heating button on the receiver)

Thanks so much for reply DGOBS, so can hive see my receiver remotely? I'll definitely have a look for that green light like you have said, I think I know exactly the one you are talking about. So you are saying that if that second green light is on when the heating comes on it is hive activated. And if there is no green light I can assume that it is nothing to do with hive?

Will have to have a look but suspect it is not the hive doing this, could be totally wrong though! I might be back to you if that's okay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

as tony says above and hes usually on the button

another thing to consider is a sticking motorised valve

is there a frost stat fitted

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Of course you can come back to me. Correct if the green status light is off, it's not Hive calling on the boiler.

When you call Hive and give them your account details they can log in and see what your system has been doing, signal, calls for heat, etc.

have you Hive on a schedule? for either heating or hot water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Apologies for taking so long to come back to this, it is a combination of having the heating switch turned off all together (so no opportunity to check), it just not coming on like I described(so didn't follow normal unwanted pattern) and just not going downstairs to search for this green light in the middle of the night (heavily pregnant, temporarily less mobile woman here!)

So I have just checked, boiler fired up and heating definitely on, checked the hive app, it appeared off and went to have a look, only the one green light so it's not hive activated.

So not sure what is making it come on.

Not sure how to check for a stuck motorised valve or a frost thermostat? Have a feeling we don't have an anti frost thermostat installed though.

Slightly concerned about it too, there is a small cupboard in the hall where all the heating panels /switches and lots of pipes and valves are located and those pipes are very hot, worried it is a potential fire risk if I ever had papers etc in that press.

• Advertisement
Advertisement