Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50cm log freestanding stove

• 27-09-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a freestanding wood burner I need to replace.
    I would like to get a stove that takes 50cm logs.
    I also like the cassette stoves and have found one I like. However, the install price is getting pretty high as it requires new chimney breast etc etc.
    I'm finding it difficult to find a freestanding stove that takes 50cm logs....
    - I don't like very modern pedestal stoves
    - I don't mind some modern 'boxy' stoves but they are all steel and I would prefer iron
    - If I do find one, it is 10KW++ and I only need 6/7.

Any advice on a freestanding stove (good quality) that would suit?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭TTTT

El Kabong! wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a freestanding wood burner I need to replace.
    I would like to get a stove that takes 50cm logs.
    I also like the cassette stoves and have found one I like. However, the install price is getting pretty high as it requires new chimney breast etc etc.
    I'm finding it difficult to find a freestanding stove that takes 50cm logs....
    - I don't like very modern pedestal stoves
    - I don't mind some modern 'boxy' stoves but they are all steel and I would prefer iron
    - If I do find one, it is 10KW++ and I only need 6/7.

Any advice on a freestanding stove (good quality) that would suit?

Thanks.

Jøtul F 118

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

A very interesting suggestion, thanks, but it fails on another point which I didn't mention... we are used to having a stove with lots of glass for a nice visual effect and that seems to be more function oriented. I would certainly use that Jotul in say a kitchen area.

I have a Stovax Brunel 3CB which I bought becuase of the large glass area, and also that is what I would get with a cassette stove.

The Dovre 640CB seems ideal until you see it is 9kW, it takes 50cm logs and has decent glass.

TTTT wrote: »

Its nice, and i didnt see the plain door variety before, but it is 10kw which is putting me off.

• Advertisement

El Kabong! wrote: »
    Its nice, and i didnt see the plain door variety before, but it is 10kw which is putting me off.

It's 6.9 KW nominal and 3.9KW min according to the website.

Anyway the output depends how many KW of fuel you put in, how fast it burns and how often you refuel.

If you fill it up with logs and open the vents full it might be 10KW for a hour.

Likewise 2 logs burned slowly over 4 hours will probably be closer to 1KW per hour.

I know what you mean. I will have to think about it as the other stove I am considering has a very nice large fire box and that Jotul is like my Stovax... wide, but narrow and with intruding baffle.

Advertisement