Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber to home installation issues

Options
  • 27-09-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, we just moved to Ashford where i was advised by Eir team that fiber to home service is available. Delighted with this we rented the house and now waiting on the broadband to be installed. Signed up for the service and engineer turned up as scheduled which was great and was happy. But thats where the joy ends.

Engineer informed us that he cant find the duct to the house so he can install the necessary cabling. But the report he provided to the Eir team was that the duct was blocked so it needs to be cleared before installation can happen. I am surprised that the engineer magically knew that the duct was blocked when he specifically said he does not know where the duct is. Can he also give me the Lotto numbers?

after being on the phone for a while day, being transferred from one person to another and being hung up on several times plus being told to cancel my order because Eir cant deliver what they promised to deliver, i am coming to my wits end. 

Eir have said that we need to pay €363 to clear the ducts before cables can be installed. Also there are no guarantees that they will be able to provide the service even if the ducts are cleared. How can i justify spending that money on a rented property and have no guarantee that the service will be provided? 
    I was told to arrange this with KN networks to clear the duct. When i called KN they said i cannot set this up as it needs to go through Eir!!!! Eir team, you need to get your story straight as every person i speak to gives me a different answer just to fob me off

All i want is fiber broadband service that is available for my address!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Curley72

Still no response from Eir on next steps and if i will receive service. I will not be able to work due the lack of service from Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Its hard to get a response from Eir because they actually are not involved in this process at all. Its all through OpenEir. You should check out the posts on the broadband forum in relation to blocked ducts. There is a lot of experience there, here is a post I made on how I go about clearing ducts.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108057300&postcount=5

But since you have rented the property i'd be getting the landlord to do all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi Curley72,

Sorry to hear this. If you could PM me with the account/order details I will look into this for you.

Thanks,

Sarah

Second engineer arrived Saturday. He looked at it and confirmed there is no blockage as he cant find the duct in the first place. Eir would have made me pay €363 when the initial engineer just made up a report thats not true or thats how Eir gets customer to pay for the duct that cannot be found by Eir. Mind you, this duct was built by Eir at their expense!

So do beware when being advised that the duct to your house is blocked. Have Eir prove it before paying for anything. 
    Right now i am in a mobile black spot, no landline and no broadband which is impacting my work and my livelihood! 

Eir cannot connect the existing phone line as if they do, the order for the fiber to home broadband will be cancelled. 

My family and i have no connection to the outside world at the moment. Cant even call emergency services!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

Curley72 wrote: »
    Second engineer arrived Saturday. He looked at it and confirmed there is no blockage as he cant find the duct in the first place. Eir would have made me pay €363 when the initial engineer just made up a report thats not true or thats how Eir gets customer to pay for the duct that cannot be found by Eir. Mind you, this duct was built by Eir at their expense!

So do beware when being advised that the duct to your house is blocked. Have Eir prove it before paying for anything. 
    Right now i am in a mobile black spot, no landline and no broadband which is impacting my work and my livelihood! 

Eir cannot connect the existing phone line as if they do, the order for the fiber to home broadband will be cancelled. 

My family and i have no connection to the outside world at the moment. Cant even call emergency services!

I had the same issue,  engineer couldn't find where the phoneline went into the house.   There is no box on the side of the house and I presume the cabling for the phoneline is under the porch somewhere.    Was just told that I'd have to sort it myself if I wanted the install to be done.   Eir or KN didn't offer any suggestions for getting it sorted.

A guy who lives close to me told me that he had the same, but that KN offered to dig the trench and lay the cable.  Cant recall what the price was, but when I tried to get info on who to contact to get the same done, I didn't have any joy at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

m99T wrote: »
    Its hard to get a response from Eir because they actually are not involved in this process at all. Its all through OpenEir. You should check out the posts on the broadband forum in relation to blocked ducts. There is a lot of experience there, here is a post I made on how I go about clearing ducts.

But since you have rented the property i'd be getting the landlord to do all of this.
    Not the landlords responsibility. If the tenant wants to do this, it is up to the tenant to sort it out

eir: Sarah wrote: »
    Hi Curley72,

Sorry to hear this. If you could PM me with the account/order details I will look into this for you.

Thanks,

Sarah
    PM Sent

m99T wrote: »

Not the landlords responsibility. If the tenant wants to do this, it is up to the tenant to sort it out
    Immaterial landlord or tenant, first Eir needs to confirm duct is blocked and not state duct is blocked when the actual fact is they could not find the duct! I am happy to pay for the duct to be cleared and so is my landlord, that decision on who is to pay, is a decision between tenant and landlord. 

But will you pay for a bogus claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi Curley72,

Thanks,

I have responded to your PM.

Sarah

Advertisement