Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitors on Office Machine.

Options
  • 27-09-2018 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a standard office PC, nothing special, just general use with onboard graphics.

I want to use dual monitors for more landscape, is the handiest way to do this to just get a cheap dual port graphics card or can the existing VGA port be split?

I think it has a 350W PSU so I don't want or need anything too beefy.

It has a PCI and PCI-E port available.

What kind of card should I go for?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Is it really using a VGA port now?
    This could be an old machine. A pic of the back would go a long way, or a model number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is it really using a VGA port now?
    This could be an old machine. A pic of the back would go a long way, or a model number.

Yep, it's a no name machine quad core 8300 with on-board VGA as far as I know. Running grand too for what it does.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

VGA splitter will allow second monitor, but as "mirror" - you wont be able to extend monitors. Windows wont even "see" second monitor.
    If for general office use - low end GPU should be OK, but again depend what "office" work is

For best experience use monitors of same size and with same resolution support

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's a chance you may have at least a second connection on the back, like a dvi port. You can get vga adaptors for that.

No, definitely only one onboard VGA port on the I\O panel and all the available slots are empty.

Is there anything light on power requirements that would give the 2 monitor ports? I see a unused unopened Radeon HD6450 512MB DDR3 on the shelf there but it recommends a minimum of 400W PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

what connectors do you have on your monitors? (HDMI, DVI, Display port, VGA)

The spare monitors have a mix of VGA and DVI ports.

Advertisement