Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's involved with FTTH?

Options
  • 27-09-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭

Our local exchange is approximately 650m from the "green box" in our estate, and is already fibre equipped (we have efibre).
    Our house is less than 100m from the "green box".

What's involved in getting fibre run from the box to our house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Hi there Soarer

Thanks getting in touch with us here. Would you mind just sending me your full address & eircode in a PM and I'll take a look at this for you?

-Kyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Soarer wrote: »
    Our local exchange is approximately 650m from the "green box" in our estate, and is already fibre equipped (we have efibre).
    Our house is less than 100m from the "green box".

What's involved in getting fibre run from the box to our house?
    That's not how fibre to the home works. The green box has equipment to provide VDSL to houses near by over traditional copper phone lines.

Eir is currently installing Fibre to the home in rural areas only using new equipment.
    This is a move to prevent the rural broadband scheme(now delayed) from taking too many customers.
    You can expect Eir to start providing in ftth in urban areas at some point but no dates are set afaik. 

You need one of these on a pole near your house to get FTTH with Eir. Each black box can serve 4 buildings.

x3lghDA.jpg

You can check the coverage map here
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tuxy wrote: »
    That's not how fibre to the home works. The green box has equipment to provide VDSL to houses near by over traditional copper phone lines.

Eir is currently installing Fibre to the home in rural areas only using new equipment.
    This is a move to prevent the rural broadband scheme(now delayed) from taking too many customers.
    You can expect Eir to start providing in ftth in urban areas at some point but no dates are set afaik. 

You need one of these on a pole near your house to get FTTH with Eir. Each black box can serve 4 buildings.

You can check the coverage map here
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

That's not strictly true. They have about 40000 premises passed in urban areas. The DP doesn't have to be on a pole, it can be in an underground access chamber so one could be covered and there would be no visible signs.

OP you can check if you're covered by entering your Eircode on:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

If you're not currently in coverage I would not hold your breath waiting to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's not strictly true. They have about 40000 premises passed in urban areas. The DP doesn't have to be on a pole, it can be in an underground access chamber so one could be covered and there would be no visible signs.
    Ah I didn't realise that. Are any of these in major towns and cities yet? Or is it more like housing estates in villages? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tuxy wrote: »
    Ah I didn't realise that. Are any of these in major towns and cities yet? Or is it more like housing estates in villages? 

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107505646&postcount=1518

This was the last time I checked. It's hard to keep up to date since they abandoned updates to fibrerollout.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

No a village would likely have a cab a cluster of houses a mile away from a cab or exchange  by themselves and not much else would have ftth.
    All new housing estates will have ftth unless it's just 3 houses being built on the end of a housing estate then they probably just extend copper network to meet them.
    4 ports in a fibre bpeo splice box isn't strictly true it can have 4 or 8

Advertisement