Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining an Irish American Football Team

• 27-09-2018 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Extremely interested in training, learning and hopefully playing with a team in Dublin - I'm totally open minded, going into this as a complete novice but will be 100% dedicated and committed. 31, 6'2, 184lbs.

Is there any way you can assist me or point me in the right direction? When does the Irish league traditionally start?

Any info greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

There's a thread on this topic somewhere in the forum titled "the Irish game". Far as I know it's a summer time league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

There's a thread on this topic somewhere in the forum titled "the Irish game". Far as I know it's a summer time league

Thanks mate, will go look now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Hi guys

Extremely interested in training, learning and hopefully playing with a team in Dublin - I'm totally open minded, going into this as a complete novice but will be 100% dedicated and committed. 31, 6'2, 184lbs.

Is there any way you can assist me or point me in the right direction? When does the Irish league traditionally start?

Any info greatly appreciated :)

Yep, summer league.

Your size and shape doesn't matter, they'll find a position for you. Sounds like wide receiver or cornerback given what you've said.

Go onto IAFL's website and see what your nearest team is and when they train and off you go. It's very informal.

troyzer wrote: »
    Yep, summer league.

Your size and shape doesn't matter, they'll find a position for you. Sounds like wide receiver or cornerback given what you've said.

Go onto IAFL's website and see what your nearest team is and when they train and off you go. It's very informal.

I doubt I'm a WR lol, I'm very slow, but was thinking CB !

Thanks for the info, will check the website out now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I doubt I'm a WR lol, I'm very slow, but was thinking CB !

Thanks for the info, will check the website out now!

You need to be faster to be a CB than a WR.

It's not like we've got lads like Megatron playing in the Irish sunday league post retirement. It's an amateur league at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    You need to be faster to be a CB than a WR.

It's not like we've got lads like Megatron playing in the Irish sunday league post retirement. It's an amateur league at the end of the day.

To be honest I just want to smash people :D

Maybe a safety is the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭conor222

Id imagine TE would be the best fit given that size/speed combo. Tall target (6'2)and a good bit of blocking for smashing people.
    I played in the UK for a few years and found it great fun, just take a look at what team is nearest to you and pop along to them :)

conor222 wrote: »
    Id imagine TE would be the best fit given that size/speed combo. Tall target (6'2)and a good bit of blocking for smashing people.
    I played in the UK for a few years and found it great fun, just take a look at what team is nearest to you and pop along to them :)

Cheers mate

You stalling the Wooly again Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭conor222

Cheers mate

You stalling the Wooly again Sunday?

Nope, got exams for the next few weeks so in lockdown on the weekends I'm afraid

#chiefskingdom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

At least from the time I trained with Admirals when I was in college, training usually started around start of February and season runs around March to August.

It's fun but be prepared for your body to hurt in places you didn't think possible, and a lot of travelling if you're a non Dublin team.

titan18 wrote: »
    At least from the time I trained with Admirals when I was in college, training usually started around start of February and season runs around March to August.

It's fun but be prepared for your body to hurt in places you didn't think possible, and a lot of travelling if you're a non Dublin team.

I don't mind getting smashed - the aches and pains are part of the adrenaline rush :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I don't mind getting smashed - the aches and pains are part of the adrenaline rush :D

Ah its not just that everything ends up hurting, I know for a few months after the season ended I had extremely limited movement in my shoulder, couple of guys break legs, I played once with my whole left leg swollen, bruised and infected, hopped up on pain killers, one of our guys had to retire 2 seasons in a row had severe ankle and foot injuries.

You will hurt a lot no matter where you play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wait until you play special teams. You seem a decent size so mighn't be too bad but I remember getting trucked by a guy who must have been 6'5 and 260/270 pounds (he was huge) and wondering what the hell I've got myself into.

Most are a normal size though so it's not too bad.

Advertisement