Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ad using Distracted Boyfriend Meme deemed sexist by Swedish advertising ombudsman

• 27-09-2018 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Swedish internet-services provider Bahnhof landed themselves in hot water back in April when they posted a recruitment ad based on the popular Distracted Boyfriend Meme you see on social media now and again. It features the male (an employee) ogling the woman in red (Bahnhof) while his girlfriend (current employer) looks on in disgust.

You can find it here. A lot of commenters weren't happy.

Now, the ad has been deemed sexist by the Swedish advertising ombudsman, who stated:
    “The advertisement objectifies women,” the ombudsman, RO, said. “It presents women as interchangeable items and suggests only their appearance is interesting … It also shows degrading stereotypical gender roles of both men and women and gives the impression men can change female partners as they change jobs.”
    Source: The Guardian.

The ombudsman is an independent organisation and thus can't impose any penalties, but, as anyone and their dog would expect, English-language media has been having a field day about it. What do ye think? Was it a poor choice of advertising from Bahnhof or do people need to take a chill pill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Until we really get into rewriting the human gene, men are going to have their eye caught by a pretty woman. No matter how much people want to call it objectification. Which it probably is, get over it. And women are going to experience gelousy.
    So until genome reprogramming, get used to this inate, and natural selection successful, phenomenon. Whether sexist or not.

Serious chill pill. Its a great (staged) photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Sweden seem to have an issue dealing with reality as the cult of progressivism has had an iron grip on the country for many years, I hear this might be changing but this ombudsman/ombudswoman;) seems to be a part of the already established and failing progressive scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Reminds me of Seymour Skinners quote about women (slightly modified)

"Women are unique in every way but it's the differences, of which there are none, that makes the sameness exceptional"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

They love their ombudsmen up there.

In fact, they invented them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

That meme always gives me a chuckle. Notwithstanding Swedish ombudspersons and the notion that men are not meant to be attracted to beautiful women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

OmbudsPERSON OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

whinge whinge whinge thats all they can do, can't enforce changes so **** them, free advertisement for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Until we really get into rewriting the human gene, men are going to have their eye caught by a pretty woman. No matter how much people want to call it objectification. Which it probably is, get over it. And women are going to experience gelousy.
    So until genome reprogramming, get used to this inate, and natural selection successful, phenomenon. Whether sexist or not.

Serious chill pill. Its a great (staged) photo.

But you're using objective fact and logic here.

'SJW' culture or whatever you want to call it is based off emotion and personal feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

joyless cùnts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Denial of nature is another facet of SJWism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Yet another thrilling thread on sexism, why can't we have more of these?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Sweden is fcuked.
    It mightn't be Somalia but it's a ****hole in so many way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiS_4uB49vdAhVHvxoKHWEaCxcQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffunnyjunk.com%2FFacepalm%2Ffunny-pictures%2F5369535%2F&psig=AOvVaw1U82fO-VtblCgsgN1uN1Tx&ust=1538157942162216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Looking at arses is a crime?

I'll take the firing squad over the gallows if it's all the same.

I wonder if they know there is a distracted girlfriend meme as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭SeanW

I would normally be surprised, but this is Sweden we're talking about. Sweden and California, the two places where nonsense like this should be considered normal.
    paw patrol wrote: »
    Sweden is fcuked.
    It mightn't be Somalia but it's a ****hole in so many way.

The Rinkeby district of Stockholm is pretty close ... Sweden is well on its way to being a non-country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Friend has been living in Sweden years, loves it there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

DredFX wrote: »
    What do ye think? Was it a poor choice of advertising from Bahnhof

Nope ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wonder if they know there is a distracted girlfriend meme as well

chx7xVA.gifdistracted-gif.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Sweden seem to have an issue dealing with reality as the cult of progressivism has had an iron grip on the country for many years, I hear this might be changing but this ombudsman/ombudswoman;) seems to be a part of the already established and failing progressive scene.

Yep and they ignore the Muslim rape gangs across the country.
    So they focus on this bull**** to seem "progressive" .. and women only events - which below is the type of women you'd expect at such a joke of an event.
    462555.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

2iz85x.jpg

Advertisement