Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance for Public 1 and 2 hospitals

• 27-09-2018 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi guys please help me if you have any info to my query.

I have insurance for public hospitals (1 and 2)

Does that mean that I can go to the private hospitals run by of those public hospitals?
    (i.e go private in the hospitals )

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You need to contact your Health Insurer. Policies vary massively so no one can answer for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Unanimous wrote: »
    I have insurance for public hospitals (1 and 2)

Does that mean that I can go to the private hospitals run by of those public hospitals?
    (i.e go private in the hospitals )

I'd be pretty certain that you will not be covered in the private hospital but your policy might extend to private cover in the public hospital.

If we're talking about a a place like St. Vincent's Hospital in Dublin, cover in the public hospital will not get you into the private hospital.

For private cover in the public hospital, check the policy benefits or send them an e-mail with your policy number and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

In short, No.

If you've only a level 1 plan that covers public hospitals only, then you are only covered by your health insurance in those listed public hospitals only for any in-patient treatment. If you attend a private hospital for any inpatient, day case/side room procedure where you are admitted to the private hospital for that, you will bear the cost of that yourself unless you have private hospital cover on your plan.

You may be able to attend a consultant privately as an out patient in private hospital, but you will not have any in-patient cover.

The only way possible I know of that you can get in-patient treatment in a private hospital when you have public hospital only cover is if you are admitted to a public hospital as an inpatient and that public hospital transfers you to a private hospital of their association and the public hospital would then cover the cost. I'm not sure if this is across the board with all providers, so you should contact your health insurance provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

thanks for the reply guys

Advertisement