Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB Taxes - is there any allowance PA?

Options
  • 27-09-2018 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Mate is thinking about doing it and thinks there is a 14K allowance and I believe he is mistaken and thats for the govt rent a room scheme for med to long term renters.

So my question is - how is Air BnB taxed? Is there any allowance at all ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

worded wrote: »
    Mate is thinking about doing it and thinks there is a 14K allowance and I believe he is mistaken and thats for the govt rent a room scheme for med to long term renters.

So my question is - how is Air BnB taxed? Is there any allowance at all ?

Thanks

Same way as a normal rental.
    The 14k is the rent a room scheme so you are correct and your friend is mistaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

kceire wrote: »
    Same way as a normal rental.
    The 14k is the rent a room scheme so you are correct and your friend is mistaking.

Thanks

How much is a normal rental taxed at do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

At your normal rate of tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

At your normal rate of tax

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

worded wrote: »
    Thanks

How much is a normal rental taxed at do you know?
    I assume it's just treated as Income and so if your mate has another job, he's probably looking at 40%, but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I assume it's just treated as Income and so if your mate has another job, he's probably looking at 40%, but I could be wrong.

Plus USC & PRSI

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Revenue issued new guidelines on taxation of Air B&B recently after gaining full access to the Air B&B database.

It is not to be treated as a rental (Case V income) but as either a trade (Case I) if the room/house is available on a regular basis or as Case IV income if not available on a regular basis.

I have the document in work that I can post tomorrow.

Advertisement