Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build with Eir ducting

Options
  • 27-09-2018 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I'm not familiar with the details of Eir ducting etc. but I'm buying a new build house and the specs say the following:

"Eir duct box within wall construction and all points terminate at this location. Eir ducting and trenching carried out"

FTTH seems to be available to all houses around from looking at the rollout map.

Does this mean I will be able to order broadband when I move in or will I need to wait months to receive an eircode as the house doesn't have one yet?

I've read the horror stories on here of people trying to get broadband in new builds and I'm hoping to not have to go through the same thing. I work from home so it wouldn't be ideal!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi limktime,

Before we can advise you of availability you would need to have an eircode therefore I would recommend applying for one as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Hey not sure if I can actually reply here but just dropping my two cents if it's alright with everyone.

If you're buying a new build home then you need to get the Eircode registered as SOON as possible. They update the database every quarter.

https://www.eircode.ie/getting-an-eircode

Next step is make sure that your builder actually puts in some 32mm duct to the nearest pole or chamber that has this black box in or on it (https://preview.ibb.co/fe5tyw/Splice_box_in_situ.jpg - This one is open, its just black when its closed). If you can make sure there is no more than 3 ducts running to the same chamber or pole. Each DP (That's distribution point) will only supply 4 homes at the moment.

MAKE SURE YOU MAP THE ROUTE OF THE DUCT. IF IT BREAKS AND YOU FORGET WHERE IT IS YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE.

Once that is done put another duct through from the back of the box on the wall (ETU) through the cavity into the house itself. This is to pull the wires through inside to where you need them, usually its just a straight pipe through with a small rope to pull cables. Have a look at this diagram:

Eg9oUwf.png

And importantly make SURE your duct has a draw rope in it. A rope not string. This is to pull the fibre cable through it.

Once you have a ETU (That's the box on the house they are talking about) with a duct in it running to the nearest DP and a draw rope in it you're well on your way. Another side note is make sure the electrician puts a double socket behind the ETU so that the eir modem and router can be powered. 

If you want the technical specs to give to your builder or check that they are done correctly yourself you can read the official eir ducting guide here:

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

If you do all of this it means that you have held up your part of the deal. The rest, like pulling the cable, installing and making sure the network to the box on the pole is running is now up to OpenEir, the providers of the equipment and infrastructure. You contact them via your service provider. 

Give me a PM if you need any more information, but you can usually find me on the broadband forum.  

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭limktime

m99T wrote: »
    Hey not sure if I can actually reply here but just dropping my two cents if it's alright with everyone.

If you're buying a new build home then you need to get the Eircode registered as SOON as possible. They update the database every quarter.

https://www.eircode.ie/getting-an-eircode

Next step is make sure that your builder actually puts in some 32mm duct to the nearest pole or chamber that has this black box in or on it (https://preview.ibb.co/fe5tyw/Splice_box_in_situ.jpg - This one is open, its just black when its closed). If you can make sure there is no more than 3 ducts running to the same chamber or pole. Each DP (That's distribution point) will only supply 4 homes at the moment.

MAKE SURE YOU MAP THE ROUTE OF THE DUCT. IF IT BREAKS AND YOU FORGET WHERE IT IS YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE.

Once that is done put another duct through from the back of the box on the wall (ETU) through the cavity into the house itself. This is to pull the wires through inside to where you need them, usually its just a straight pipe through with a small rope to pull cables. Have a look at this diagram:

Eg9oUwf.png

And importantly make SURE your duct has a draw rope in it. A rope not string. This is to pull the fibre cable through it.

Once you have a ETU (That's the box on the house they are talking about) with a duct in it running to the nearest DP and a draw rope in it you're well on your way. Another side note is make sure the electrician puts a double socket behind the ETU so that the eir modem and router can be powered. 

If you want the technical specs to give to your builder or check that they are done correctly yourself you can read the official eir ducting guide here:

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

If you do all of this it means that you have held up your part of the deal. The rest, like pulling the cable, installing and making sure the network to the box on the pole is running is now up to OpenEir, the providers of the equipment and infrastructure. You contact them via your service provider. 

Give me a PM if you need any more information, but you can usually find me on the broadband forum.  
    Thanks for the detailed response. The house is built at this stage so I hope they have done as you've instructed.

The only details I have are what I mentioned above. I've been assured everything that's required is in place.

I've contacted both eircode and An Post to get an eircode but there doesn't seem to be any clear instructions on requesting an eircode anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

limktime wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed response. The house is built at this stage so I hope they have done as you've instructed.

The only details I have are what I mentioned above. I've been assured everything that's required is in place.

I've contacted both eircode and An Post to get an eircode but there doesn't seem to be any clear instructions on requesting an eircode anywhere.

Not a problem! Well thats good, hope the house is going well.

This is where it gets interesting. The last install I did was in Donegal. My father built the house in 2009, I knew who the foreman was and everything was above board. 

They put a duct in place with an ETC and put a rope through it and everything.

I came in do the install, and low and behold the duct was nowhere to be found. It was buried down under the ground and a road was put over it. The builder blamed the foreman, the foreman blamed the groundsman and the groundsman blamed everyone else.

Make sure that its all done right because Eir dont care if it's not their ducting. And trust me putting a duct in after the fact is much harder. 

To get an eircode you need to ring this number: [font=Dosis, museo_sans300, sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica]0818 300 005[/font]

They will put you in the right direction. I honestly do hope everything goes well for you, I see you have read some of the horror stories. 

eir: Sarah wrote: »
    Hi limktime,

Before we can advise you of availability you would need to have an eircode therefore I would recommend applying for one as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Sarah
    I have requested an eircode but if for whatever reason broadband isn't available to order when I move to the new address, what happens with my current bundle/contract?

• Advertisement

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi limktime,

If you have an active service in your current residence and it is not available in your new premises then you would need to speak with our moving house team and they will advise you of the timeframes to move service etc and the options available to you if service is not available in your new premises. Once you obtain your eircode I would recommend calling them on 1901.

Thanks,

Sarah

Advertisement