Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Shops, and the price of tea in China

• 28-09-2018 9:35am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

By popular demand. Milk or soy, talk about it here. No handles, name and shame. Decaf? I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

My favourite coffee shop to sit at the window and people watch is Carlton Coffee on the corner of Catherine street and Thomas street.
    Their decaf is not so bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

La Cucina if Jeannie is there, the only trained barista in the restaurant, and makes some of the best coffee in Limerick. She also works in Harpers Cafe in the Market on Saturday, love their coffee too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

brownej wrote: »
    My favourite coffee shop to sit at the window and people watch is Carlton Coffee on the corner of Catherine street and Thomas street.

Love Carlton Coffee also to people watch. I cycle through little Catherine Street every morning and I love seeing everyone outside relaxing and watching the world go by.

I'm only a regular in Rift. Stop in there every morning on my way to uni. Love the coffee and Dalton and the gang really are genuinely lovely so always put a spring in my step at the start of the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Hook and Ladder Sarsfield St are opening until 10.30 Thursday, Friday, Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

pigtown wrote: »

Nice to have a couple of things other than pubs open in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

brownej wrote: »

Sometimes i go through town to get to work just to get a coffee there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I like the Aroma Cafe on the corner of Roches St and Catherine St. Nice coffee and food at reasonable prices. Good people-watching location or just nice to read a paper by the window. Relaxing decor and ambience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Of the new places Esquire is my favourite again great people watching good coffee amazing scones and very good service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I like the small place above the Potato Market, by the bridge near the Locke Bar.

Is Starbucks....shudder....the only late night option still ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dashoonage wrote: »
    Is Starbucks....shudder....the only late night option still ?

Pfft, read the thread, n00b :P

Pfft, read the thread, n00b :P

Thanks!

Also.....go hug a swan

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dashoonage wrote: »
    Thanks!

Also.....go hug a swan

Limerick's Sexiest Coffee Drinker. The campaign starts now. :pac:

Has anyone mentioned the lovely coffee in the UnderDog yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sioda wrote: »
    Of the new places Esquire is my favourite again great people watching good coffee amazing scones and very good service

probably my fav cafe in Limerick too, food coffee and service all fab
    Limerick's Sexiest Coffee Drinker. The campaign starts now. :pac:

Has anyone mentioned the lovely coffee in the UnderDog yet?

don't like that place, too dark and furniture too hard and food so so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had lunch in Esquire today and got two takeaway coffees for when we left. The regular is a large everywhere else. Good stuff and good service even when the place was mobbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm only a regular in Rift. Stop in there every morning on my way to uni. Love the coffee and Dalton and the gang really are genuinely lovely so always put a spring in my step at the start of the day :)
    Used to pass the place all the time but have never bitten the bullet and gone in. Having seen this and someone on Instagram there, I'll have to. Anyone else been?

It's far out but Sonas Healthstore in Newcastle West do ace coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Canteen and Rift both do really nice coffee. I've stopped getting coffee in the Milk Market on Saturdays, they're all poor and serve the coffee at roughly the same temperature as the sun which drives me mad.
    Best coffee I've had in a long time is the Old Barracks in Birdhill. Pity it's a bit out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Not a fan of the coffee in Canteen whenever I've had it. Would much prefer the coffee in the Stormy Teacup.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'll have to try that Esquire place, it's on Catherine Street, near the stationary shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

MarkR wrote: »
    I'll have to try that Esquire place, it's on Catherine Street, near the stationary shop?

That's the one, where Sage used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

This thread will have me globetrotting for coffee tasting now.

On a similar note, best takeaway coffee from filling stations? I'm always pulling into the Dock Road so its either Barron's (which is Insomnia I think) or Bewley's from either Circle K or Casey's Londis. Although, the latter has fairly unreliable coffee machines.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

My takeaway coffee place at the moment is Story cafe on Denmark St, their all day breakfast is pretty nice as well.
    I like Esquires as well, nice coffee.

I need to buy some coffee beans for home, any recommendations in the city (not ridiculously expensive)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Frank and honest is very hit and miss. I took a hint from my Father in Law whom is an awful coffee snob. Press the button on the machine and let the hot water run and only put the cup in when the espresso shot starts. Then press it again as normal. Much nicer.

And no I don't tell the cashier, I know the cost breakdown on those F&H machines and let me assure you they are making a FORTUNE. They sold 40 million cups of coffee across the SV/Centra network last year.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Coffee and sandwiches are the parts of the service stations which make the most money. They pay pennies per cup. Car washes too actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've never gotten coffee from a petrol station/spar shop, although I havent been drinking coffee all that long, I'm just of the feeling, that it wouldnt be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Mc Love wrote: »
    I've never gotten coffee from a petrol station/spar shop, although I havent been drinking coffee all that long, I'm just of the feeling, that it wouldnt be worth it.
    It's not worth it anywhere in fairness, the price of coffee is scandalous. But lots of petrol stations do decent coffee, there's no reason they shouldn't. Carlton Coffee which was recommended earlier in this thread uses the same system, they just press a button, the machine does the work.
    Depending on what they have on I find Rift to be decent, one day though he had an Ethiopian blend on and it was genuinely undrinkable, usually top notch though,

It's not worth it anywhere in fairness, the price of coffee is scandalous. But lots of petrol stations do decent coffee, there's no reason they shouldn't. Carlton Coffee which was recommended earlier in this thread uses the same system, they just press a button, the machine does the work.
    Depending on what they have on I find Rift to be decent, one day though he had an Ethiopian blend on and it was genuinely undrinkable, usually top notch though,
    Carlton got rid of the push button got a auto grinder and shot loader and a 3 handle machine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

sioda wrote: »
    Carlton got rid of the push button got a auto grinder and shot loader and a 3 handle machine now.

Hadn’t realised that, doesn’t seem like that long since I was in there so it’s recent I’d say?

Hadn’t realised that, doesn’t seem like that long since I was in there so it’s recent I’d say?
    Bout a year I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

Was there last week, nice and quiet but v relaxing over a coffee and cake till 10ish

Advertisement