Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Shops, and the price of tea in China

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Used to pass the place all the time but have never bitten the bullet and gone in. Having seen this and someone on Instagram there, I'll have to. Anyone else been?

It's far out but Sonas Healthstore in Newcastle West do ace coffee.

+1 for Sonas in Newcastle West if you can get a seat. Great people watching spot, coffee is nice and lovely atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

jjoconoor wrote: »
    Was there last week, nice and quiet but v relaxing over a coffee and cake till 10ish

Lots of people have been crying out for a cafe with late opening times, so hopefully they do well. But obviously, it will all depend on how they do & the demand for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Rift Coffee gets a thumbs up from me after my first visit this morning.

Has anyone tried Duo on Denmark Street yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Has anyone tried Duo on Denmark Street yet?
    Sitting here with a duo latte next to me. I like it the coffee is good but also the fact its one young lad with his first business has me going back tbh

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    Sitting here with a duo latte next to me. I like it the coffee is good but also the fact its one young lad with his first business has me going back tbh
    Sounds brilliant, I should get in there tomorrow or Friday. How are they for prices e.g. a cappuccino?

320 for a latte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Rift Coffee gets a thumbs up from me after my first visit this morning.

meh

very very basic set up, hard seats, tiny cups with no handles :confused: and coffee that tastes nothing special (to me anyway)

but the girl serving is as cute as a button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

fryup wrote: »
    meh

very very basic set up, hard seats, tiny cups with no handles :confused: and coffee that tastes nothing special (to me anyway)

but the girl serving is as cute as a button

I really like coffee, simple espresso or americano, no milk or sugar but I am far from an expert. What I like about rift is that it is a bit of a change, most every other coffee house in town serves much the same thing, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, you get something different in rift, I suspect it's very good coffee very well prepared, I did have an Ethiopian coffee there one day wasn't to my taste at all.

The re-opened Lidl has a coffee machine and according to a friend from Clonmel their coffee machines are ace and only €1.

• Advertisement

€1.00 for a coffee now thats the way to do it.....not €3.50 -€4.00 for a sip in these pretentious places

Yeah it's a decent thing.

It's in the porch and it's a vending machine which I was relieved to see as I was afraid of having to queue behind some woman buying a week's shopping when all I wanted was a coffee!

You pick whatever, it asks you if you want a cup or have your own. If you choose the former then a cup drops down into a holder and you're asked if you want sugar or not. When it's all said and done you pull it off the little holder and off you go.

Had a cappuccino and was happy with it, saw a young fella before me get a hot chocolate that looked great.

Duo on Denmark Street selling €2 coffees to all students tomorrow.

Went back to the Lidl machine but not as good this time. No lids for the cups, asked around and they had none. Hot Chocolate was about 90% full and tasted like just solely hot water.
    Hopefully better luck next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Duo on Denmark Street selling €2 coffees to all students tomorrow.

Went back to the Lidl machine but not as good this time. No lids for the cups, asked around and they had none. Hot Chocolate was about 90% full and tasted like just solely hot water.
    Hopefully better luck next time.

Just got two takeaway coffees in Duo. 3 sips each and we poured both into the flower pots outside Penneys they were that bad.

Just drinking a latte from Duo as I type the coffee they use is not to everyones taste but its a change from most of the offerings near my office I like it but one of the lads here can't stand it.

sioda wrote: »
    Just drinking a latte from Duo as I type the coffee they use is not to everyones taste but its a change from most of the offerings near my office I like it but one of the lads here can't stand it.

The awful aftertaste doesn't bother you so I take it?!

Don't find it that bad tbh. Have one most afternoons.

^^^^^^^^^^^

well in fairness its not a cafe per se its a pop up shop to promote artisan arts & crafts

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

well in fairness its not a cafe per se its a pop up shop to promote artisan arts & crafts

And a lovely shop it is, cool little trinkets if a bit hipsterish. But ****e coffee..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got a terrible coffee in sodalicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got a terrible coffee in sodalicious!

Whats the food like there? Is it all soda bread and scones?

On Duo, I was kind of afraid to say it but I wasn't hugely gone on their coffee the two times I was there.

snowcat wrote: »
    Whats the food like there? Is it all soda bread and scones?

Pretty much, can't understand the fascination with the place, i haven't been impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Mc Love wrote: »
    Pretty much, can't understand the fascination with the place, i haven't been impressed

Freezing cold with automatic sliding doors constantly opening even when no one there. Had “builders breakfast” - very small and server forgot the beans. When I mentioned it to her she said “ Oh sorry”. I had mine finished before the other half got theirs which was a salad they forgot about. No one in charge by the looks of it. Won’t be back.

Gallee wrote: »
    Won’t be back.

Not the first time I heard this. It's been open a while now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm of the opposite. I think Sodalicious is good value.

No matter what way you look at it, they'll strike gold when the Hanging Gardens are fully done etc.

Great location...the high tables with plugs etc are a good idea too.. and the place is nicely spaced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Sodalicious doesn't exactly have an extensive menu to choose from but the quality of the food is quite good. The coffee is better than a lot of other cafes in the city centre also. The staff can be a bit ditzy and inattentive alright. Most of them seem to be very young. Agree about the electronic doors too. I just don't see the need for them.

Overall I quite like the space and the minimalist approach. It's one of the more interesting interiors in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Vanquished wrote: »
    Sodalicious doesn't exactly have an extensive menu to choose from but the quality of the food is quite good. The coffee is better than a lot of other cafes in the city centre also. The staff can be a bit ditzy and inattentive alright. Most of them seem to be very young. Agree about the electronic doors too. I just don't see the need for them.

Overall I quite like the space and the minimalist approach. It's one of the more interesting interiors in town.

I popped in there yesterday for the first time and I liked it. I like the look of the place, I found the staff were attentive, and my coffee plus cake were fine. I'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Anyone know if any cafe in Limerick is selling "KeepCups"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Anyone know if any cafe in Limerick is selling "KeepCups"?

Maybe Duo on Denmark St.?

Advertisement