Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for self install? (with GSM notification)

Options
  • 28-09-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone got a suggestion as to what would be a good alarm system to self-install?
    (and self monitor, no monthly fees)
    I'd be hoping it would take a sim card to allow for notification if the power goes down, so battery backup too I suppose..

I was lookin at smarthubs but they all seem to be missing the ability to notify you if the power goes... SmartThings etc... they have battery backup but its kinda useless when you've no power to the broadband modem like...

Its for our (owner occupied) house a few miles out the country.
    I'd like to be able to add stuff like smoke alarms etc as I go..

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A few things. I've a SmartThings hub, it does notify when the hub goes offline, about 5 minutes after going offline. Which is pretty handy.

It also does have battery backup. You could also add a UPS to your broadband router, which would help in a general power outage, though not if a burglar cut broadband line (though you would still get a notification after 5 minutes which is pretty decent)

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend SmartThings hub on it's own as a security system. The sensors have some reliability issues (at least the current ones, new ones have just been launched in the US).

A system that you might want to check out is the Honeywell Evohome Security system. It is DIY install, uses a SIM and self monitoring is free for two years, after that it costs €20 per year to keep the SIM active, which is pretty fair value IMO.

This Honeywell system is more or less the same gear (with a few specific tweaks) that Phonewatch use. Note I haven't used this system myself, so do some more research, but it sounds like it might tick the boxes for your needs.

I've a Yale Smart Home Alarm system myself that I use inconjunction with SmartThings and some IP cameras. Though it doesn't do SIM, so might not suit your needs.

BTW the more smart home end of things, SmartThings hubs, etc. gets discussed more over on the Home Automation forum if that interests you.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

bk wrote: »
    A few things. I've a SmartThings hub, it does notify when the hub goes offline, about 5 minutes after going offline. Which is pretty handy.

I'm curious about how that works? No power, so router is dead....
    Or is it just the app lets you know it hasn't been able to contact the hub?
    A heartbeat or something?
    It also does have battery backup. You could also add a UPS to your broadband router, which would help in a general power outage, though not if a burglar cut broadband line (though you would still get a notification after 5 minutes which is pretty decent)

Ahh so it must be the app then .... rather than the Hub sending a message...
    Having said that, I wouldn't recommend SmartThings hub on it's own as a security system. The sensors have some reliability issues (at least the current ones, new ones have just been launched in the US).
    Yah, I read a few frustrated posts on their forums about sensors with dead batteries not being reported to the hub etc...
    Not what you want to be hearing about a security system :D.. so no.. not a runner ...
    A system that you might want to check out is the Honeywell Evohome Security system. It is DIY install, uses a SIM and self monitoring is free for two years, after that it costs €20 per year to keep the SIM active, which is pretty fair value IMO.

Thats pretty interesting.. does the SIM card come in the box?
    Do I have to be careful about where I order it from so the SIM will work in Ireland? Any idea what network it uses? (Just thinkin about coverage .. being out the country an all..)
    This Honeywell system is more or less the same gear (with a few specific tweaks) that Phonewatch use. Note I haven't used this system myself, so do some more research, but it sounds like it might tick the boxes for your needs.

I've a Yale Smart Home Alarm system myself that I use inconjunction with SmartThings and some IP cameras. Though it doesn't do SIM, so might not suit your needs.

Yeah.. looks good.. only the external siren is an add on and at a hefty price.. and its only a battery powered thing.. I'd be a lot happier with a powered siren ... wonder is there any outputs on the honeywell box...
    BTW the more smart home end of things, SmartThings hubs, etc. gets discussed more over on the Home Automation forum if that interests you.

Thanks, not really interested in getting into Home Automation.. I work in tech and don't want to be bringin work home... just want a burglar/fire alarm I can manage myself...:)

Thanks for all the info...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

vidapura wrote: »
    I'm curious about how that works? No power, so router is dead....
    Or is it just the app lets you know it hasn't been able to contact the hub?
    A heartbeat or something?

Ahh so it must be the app then .... rather than the Hub sending a message...

SmartThings is mostly a cloud based system, there actually isn't much locally on the hub (there are some things, but not much). So when their cloud system notices that it can't reach the hub anymore, it sends you a notification to the app on the phone.

I don't think there is an official time, but doing some informal testing myself, it seems to notify you within 3 to 5 minutes.
    Thats pretty interesting.. does the SIM card come in the box?
    Do I have to be careful about where I order it from so the SIM will work in Ireland? Any idea what network it uses? (Just thinkin about coverage .. being out the country an all..)

You should double check, but from what I remember when I looked at it, it comes with the sim built-in and I think it is a world wide sim, so should work with any network.
    Yeah.. looks good.. only the external siren is an add on and at a hefty price.. and its only a battery powered thing.. I'd be a lot happier with a powered siren ... wonder is there any outputs on the honeywell box...

There isn't, it is a wireless only system.

If your handy with wiring electrics yourself, another option would be to buy one of the more professional level systems yourself and set it up yourself. Something like Siemens, GSD, etc. Only thing setup would be quiet a bit more complicated then the honeywell and maybe more expensive. But it would give you options for wired saab, sensors, etc. if you want that.

Oh, one other thing, if you DIY install an alarm system, DO NOT include it in your home insurance. Home insurance alarm discount is only for professionally installed and yearly maintained alarm systems. Which clearly a DIY system isn't. The discount isn't worth it anyone or worth the risk of insurance not paying out if a burglary happens.
    Thanks, not really interested in getting into Home Automation.. I work in tech and don't want to be bringin work home... just want a burglar/fire alarm I can manage myself...:)

Thanks for all the info...

Haha, I know, I'm the same, but I'm a sucker for these toys.

BTW in case it does interest you in future, I think the Honeywell system can be gotten to work with SmartThings hub and voice control, etc. if you want down the line.

Also Yale are about to launch a new DIY system in a few days called Yale Sync, if you want to check that out. It will integrate with Amazon Alexa for voice control, Philips Hue smart lights, etc. Though I think it works over broadband rather then SIM, so might not suit you. Just FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hey BK,
    Thanks for all your time replying,
    If your handy with wiring electrics yourself, another option would be to buy one of the more professional level systems yourself and set it up yourself. Something like Siemens, GSD, etc. Only thing setup would be quiet a bit more complicated then the honeywell and maybe more expensive. But it would give you options for wired saab, sensors, etc. if you want that.

Ehm... whats a 'saab' sorry?

Where can I buy those systems tho?
    I tried to get a GSD last year and ended up with them putting 'registered installer' on to me and him quoting something like €750.
    I was under the impression you have to pay GSD a subscription for their system too.. the app goes through their servers I think... something along those lines anyway...

Sorry, typo there, sabb, the bell box that goes outside on the wall
    Where can I buy those systems tho?
    I tried to get a GSD last year and ended up with them putting 'registered installer' on to me and him quoting something like €750.
    I was under the impression you have to pay GSD a subscription for their system too.. the app goes through their servers I think... something along those lines anyway...

Contact alarm panel distributors. Though as I mentioned, it isn't for the faint of heart.

Actually you are correct about GSD, you will want to look at Siemens/Vanderbilt if you want complete control yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

SABB (Self Activating Bell Box)

Advertisement